Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville Merchandise

Old 26 Sep 2003, 02:43   #1
Dingerz
Dreamer

Interesting Alphaville ebay finds

Hey - you guys seen this? Ikes.. Anyone have a little bit of spare cash? It would be nice to have but um, not for that price heh..

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...&category=1561

Tara :)
Dingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2003, 07:29   #2
poul e
Dream Keeper

Too bad it isn't possible to buy these promo releases from Moonbase. It would be so great if hardcorefans (like fanclubmembers) had the opportunity to buy promos!!!
poul e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2003, 10:33   #3
Krapplund
Dream Keeper
www.krapplund.com

Nice stuff

"Alphaville ohne Bernhard ist wie eine Apfelstrudel ohne apfel"
17'04'2003
www.krapplund.com
Krapplund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2003, 12:41   #4
lassie
Dreamer

friggin expensive !
And yes, it would be nice if fans could somehow buy these from MoonBase.
lassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2003, 12:49   #5
lassie
Dreamer

I thought this was funny too.

We havent seen this one before, so I smell bootleg.

[img]Data/200392613486_a0_1.jpg[/img]
[front]
[img]Data/2003926144156_a0_2.jpg[/img][back]
lassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2003, 13:27   #6
Kaz
Her...

As far as the promo goes, yes it would be nice to buy it, but as we all know it's not really for us anyway. Anyway, we already have all the tracks...

@ Lassie
Yeah, my first thoughts on seeing that were 'bootleg' too...

Before you judge me, make sure you're perfect.
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2003, 13:51   #7
russharvey
Dream Keeper

that isn't the point Kaz - some of us are collectors and this is a collectors prize....... you know, kind of like the Visions of Dreamscapes..... we have all of those tracks on Dreamscapes, but Visions is not Dreamscapes just as Excerpts is not Crazyshow - that might not make sense to you, but for me its two different albums and I want them both!!

***This life is expensive, but at least it comes with a free trip around the sun!***
russharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2003, 14:09   #8
Kaz
Her...

Yeah, well I'm not a collector - I don't see the point really. And in any case, the promo disc is there for a purpose and not for fans, hence not on offer to us from Moonbase, which is the point I was making. I would love to have a promo disc, but for a reason which is to do with promoting Alphaville, and not for my own personal use or a 'prize'.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but I view it in the same way as I view autographs - once you have one, why go for anymore? Marian's signature isn't gonna change overnight and why should people have to have every bloody thing they own signed by him? Give the guy a life!

Before you judge me, make sure you're perfect.
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2003, 17:26   #9
russharvey
Dream Keeper

well, I agree with the autographs, but as for collecting promos - after it has served its purpose, then it should be fair game for anyone who wants it. I would never want to take the promo before it has been looked at by the radio station, but many of these stations will cast it off and not play it on the radio. Many of the promos you see on ebay have been received, processed and discarded by those who received it and are now being sold because they were not deemed worthy commercially. Some of the older vinyl promos I have were kept at the station for many years before being sold off because the radio station only has so much room in their vaults for this kind of stuff.

I applaud your valiance in not wanting to rob AV from promotional opportunities, but every radio station has one person in charge of the promos - and if it doesn't get past them then it gets tossed and the reality of it is that most of AV's promos are not given the commercial consideration they deserve. So if after being cast aside by a short minded radio program manager, the promo happens to reach ebay, then I think it is best that someone who will treasure it and appreciate it for what it is should really have it instead of it getting thrown away.

I am a collector and actually holding all of Alphaville's treasures in my hands to me is the best tribute I can give this band. Everything they release is important to me. And if you recall - the excerpts of crazyshow has been out in the world since January of 2003 - surely in 9 months it has served its promotional purpose? I don't ask you to accept a collectors viewpoint - but I value my Alphaville collection above all else that I personally own - it is a truly a treasure chest - something I will never part with and besides that - some of these releases have different mixes on them, so not only do I get to hold it in my hands, but I get to listen to new versions of Alphaville songs and that is also something you cannot put a price on and believe me, I force everyone to hear them so the promotional opportunities exist far beyond what consideration the radio station gave it. Don't worry, I did not think your words were harsh, I understand why you said them, but I don't believe owning a promo means that you are denying Alphaville promotional opportunities. Those have already occurred by the time you can actually find one of these promos. That is also another reason I collect, its for the hunt - chasing down a lost promo is a hunt, its an adventure and its luck all rolled into one! Promos like the Flame and Today promos which were actually not released to radio due to WEA cancelling the singles were difficult to find but worth the hunt alone!

Anyway, I don't ask you to accept it, just understand it. Once it has served its purpose, a promo is truly fair game!

***This life is expensive, but at least it comes with a free trip around the sun!***
russharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2003, 17:31   #10
wii
Dream Master

Remember, some promos have great versions not released in any other format, the best example is the 12" version of Wishful Thinking ONLY released on the promo of the single, which I´m glad to own
wii is offline   Reply With Quote