Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville Discussion

Old 31 Oct 2010, 22:56   #11
pekurovsky
Keeping On Dancing

In mailing list Jan has posted a long major post and I'd say that I second every single word of it.

Just some quotations:
"BIG step backwards", "riding the 80s-retro-wave (which they never wanted to be a part of) big time instead of releasing something timeless and maybe even innovative", "sounds generic", "key ingredients are missing: the darker, edgier, more experimental side of Alphaville is quite completely omitted", "I feel Alphaville have to be very, very careful not to become bland and banal", "the hype might just end up as a flash in the pan".

On the contrary, for so many years being a loyal fan, at this point I suppose I am just not capable of not-loving-AV, be it heavy metal or polka they sing. Yes, love is all-forgiving

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.
[jump1]
pekurovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2010, 23:02   #12
Pointrox
Catching Rays on Giant

Song for No One (But Myself)
Great song - it can be a neat dance track. The only things I don't really like are whistles.

End of the World
Very Depeche Mode-ish, sounds like a track from "Violator" with a modern touch - sweet!

The Things I Didn't Do
Quite like Katy Perry's "Hot 'N Cold" - ain't so bad, but I would prefer something more in AV style.

Heaven on Earth
a-ha-like ballad, love the synths and Marian hitting high notes [smile2]

The Deep
Beautiful song. Nothing more, nothing less.

Call Me
Nice synthrock, really would do as the second single

Gravitation Breakdown
Hm, that's an unusual song for Alphaville, but I like it anyway.

Carry Your Flag
Absolutely wonderful - uplifting, midtempo song with vocal harmonies.

Call Me Down
The title might be a bit misleading, but this is a different piece of music. Still can't believe that this is Marian's voice - as clean and soft as Morten Harket's (from a-ha)!

Phantoms
Yes, yes, yes! Marvellous track with pleasant 80s-style beat.

I must say that adding demos is a nice touch, unlike putting "Forever Young 2001 (Factory Mix)", which is an example how to butcher a great song (auto-tuned vocals - awful!).
Pointrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2010, 23:07   #13
Kaz
Her...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekurovsky View Post
In mailing list Jan has posted a long major post and I'd say that I second every single word of it.

Just some quotations:
"BIG step backwards", "riding the 80s-retro-wave (which they never wanted to be a part of) big time instead of releasing something timeless and maybe even innovative", "sounds generic", "key ingredients are missing: the darker, edgier, more experimental side of Alphaville is quite completely omitted", "I feel Alphaville have to be very, very careful not to become bland and banal", "the hype might just end up as a flash in the pan".
Some very valid points. Just read Jan's full post and it's funny but the part where he asks if AV is just becoming all about love songs these days was a thought that was in my head only this morning. From even the little bits I've heard, and I know I said I'd wait until I've heard the whole album to pass judgement but I have heard enough to say this, lyrically it's very superficial. In my opinion, to which I am entitled.

Pointrox, it's not Marian's voice on Call Me Down. It's Martin Lister.

Before you judge me, make sure you're perfect.
Last edited by Kaz; 31 Oct 2010 at 23:28.
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2010, 23:31   #14
Avil
The dream

I did listen to the song quite quickly, just to get a hint of what I could expect. I'm not overwhelmed regarding the first tracks, but there are some of the tracks that will most likely grow on me; Heaven on earth, The deep, Gravitation breakdown and Call me down.

I am confused about Miracle Healing and Carry your flag being on the album, but since I haven't listened to the whole album thus not understood the album yet, I can't say if they fit in or not.

I hope there will be a red line to follow in all these tracks, just like you "feel" all earlier albums, I wish to "feel" this album as well. I'm just not used to all these new tracks, all these new impressions yet.

Some more weeks and we will know more.
Avil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2010, 23:35   #15
Kaz
Her...

Marian said in one recent TV interview that he thinks the album turned out to be a concept album, although it wasn't planned that way. Will be interesting to see what concept runs through it, if any at all.

Before you judge me, make sure you're perfect.
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2010, 00:55   #16
russharvey
Dream Keeper

first line of the first song... I look into myself, theres nothing deep inside, theres an emptiness that I can't seem to hide...... I don't think Marian intended this album to have the dark mysterious lyrics of former albums. I still maintain that if you love Alphaville you have to respect the fact that EVERY album is different and you should not be shocked that this album is not exactly like something before....... embrace it and love it for the ever evolving monster it is. People seem to think Marian is going to change somehow after all these years and do something the same? Shame on you people for putting those limitations on him!!! I don't like everything Alphaville does but I am happy to get a new album and the chance to explore and to find a few tracks that I really love and I am sure that there are a couple on this album that in time will become rare and classic Alphaville gems for me!

***This life is expensive, but at least it comes with a free trip around the sun!***
russharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2010, 06:41   #17
russharvey
Dream Keeper

hey.... has anyone else listened to the samples enough to catch Marian's newest obsession? Black Holes.... they are mentioned in 3 of the songs on the new album!!! How crazy is that?

***This life is expensive, but at least it comes with a free trip around the sun!***
russharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2010, 08:30   #18
Alien
Trapped in Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by russharvey View Post
hey.... has anyone else listened to the samples enough to catch Marian's newest obsession? Black Holes.... they are mentioned in 3 of the songs on the new album!!! How crazy is that?
That's exactly what caught my attention!!! Been wondering about that since I listened to the tracks :)

*MADE IN USSR*
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2010, 09:01   #19
Humbert
Exclusive Fanclub Member

first impression - i'm already looking for a new CD player with a better bass options ;)
The Things I Didn't Do - chart breaker without a doubt

Silence is golden,music is Gold
Humbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2010, 20:06   #20
TheMoonBoy
A view from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by russharvey View Post
... I still maintain that if you love Alphaville you have to respect the fact that EVERY album is different and you should not be shocked that this album is not exactly like something before....... embrace it and love it for the ever evolving monster it is. People seem to think Marian is going to change somehow after all these years and do something the same? Shame on you people for putting those limitations on him!!! I don't like everything Alphaville does but I am happy to get a new album and the chance to explore and to find a few tracks that I really love and I am sure that there are a couple on this album that in time will become rare and classic Alphaville gems for me!
I hear you, but as far as I'm concerned, the problem is not the style but the quality of the songs.
TheMoonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote