Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville Discussion

Old 05 Mar 2001, 23:47   #1
hardin
Exclusive Fanclub Member

Are we too uncritical to AV?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxx
Last edited by hardin; 17 Jul 2022 at 17:21.
hardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2001, 23:54   #2
Trent
Dreamer

I have always been honest when I make a comment on a song and or cd etc. Maybe some of us have not said anything really negative or as you say "false roses" (Which I do not believe I have ever given) is that we really do enjoy the songs we are listening to and really do love it! I have only heard 2 songs that AV has made that I did not care for and I have mentioned it before..."Scum Of The Earth" And "Montego Bay" But then...I liked those songs too...I just did not like the singing that went with them, but loved the lyrics....so I guess I can say honestly there is not one AV song I do not like...just the chosen form of the way a couple is sung...

Cruising in cocktails...
Trent
Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2001, 00:00   #3
Adiville
big in japan

Maybe im too much in love with them but i see every song by AV as a gift... a beautiful gift.
and if sometimes the gift is not perfect i will still love it because it is still a gift that was given to me...
sometimes we dont like the lyrics but the music is great.
sometimes the lyrics are so true and beautiful but the music isnt that great...
and the voice...Marian's magical voice is always there...
You see, something in a song will always be good for me and thats why i like it.

@ville - forever and ever.
Visit me at: http://members.nana.co.il/planet/euphoria
Adiville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2001, 00:18   #4
Bernhard Lloyd
Bell II

Hi Hardin,
You are right!
I for sure donīt mind open and honest critics.
Thatīs what I need. Good and bad critics.
Itīs anyway only about personal feelings and opinions.
Itīs not about right or wrong.
As a musician you create the music in a certain moment with a certain mood....and you think itīs perfect....and the next day you realize ...itīs crap...and you throw it away.
Sometimes ...you realize far too late (when the song is released) that it was crap....
and a few month later you start to like it again.
Music is a question of moods.
Critics are welcome!

+0:-)
http://www.atlanticpopes.de
everybody is a pope......
Bernhard Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2001, 00:25   #5
Trent
Dreamer

You're right The Greatest Bernhard.. Sometimes I will write something and love it one day and can't stand it the next, I don't know how many times I have written something and just thrown it away to later think...Well, that really wasn't half bad...I am also the same with AV or any other band for that matter in moods, One day I will love Forever Young for instance and the next day it will just get up me nose!

Cruising in cocktails...
Trent
Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2001, 01:02   #6
davidhorizon
Antilles

I think I can be very critical to AV. Like Hardin I'm not impressed with the DS9 songs, and there were a lot of crap on Dreamscapes too.

However being a fan of AV, I guess I tend to be more openmindet about songs that AV releases. Maybe its a good thing thoug, because I give music that I normally would'nt listen to a second chance.

davidhorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2001, 01:35   #7
Dingerz
Dreamer

I think what also happens is when fans don't like a song they stay quiet and when they like a song, that's when they talk.

BUT...sometimes you love everything a band does. You can't help it! The band may just write lyrics that completely speak to you all the time, or each song may just sound fantastic cause you appreciate all the different styles and changes the band has adopted. It does happen, it's rare, but it does occur.

I have this with Depeche Mode. I HATE it when people accuse me of just blindly loving everything DM does and that I won't criticise. Well, I get mad because I DO love everything they do (I can only name one song I don't like in their 20 year career) And now I LOVE their new album Exciter to death, and I'm getting the same thing again! (people telling me that I "blindly love" everything.) RRGH. Well, it's not true. Perhaps that's why I love the band so much! Not such a hard concept to grasp..

And that's why I re-fell in love with Alphaville. Once I caught up with all the albums after the Forever Young album I realized that I loved 90 percent!! I especially think that Salvation, Prostitute and SNAAL are EXTREMELY strong albums. And there is nothing I appreciate more than a band that gets better with age : ) Those bands are always the special ones. They are the ones with a constant flow of creativity and they make music because they love to. They don't make music because they're out to make a ton of money - and because of that their heart is in it and so the art is better as a result. I like sincere bands which is why I have such a LOW tolerance for all the commercial crap that is out there today.

And as far as criticism goes: The only song from d9 that I don't like too much is Scum of the Earth.

Tara : )

Dingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2001, 01:55   #8
Adiville
big in japan

When it comes to AV i just cant use the words BAD or NOT GOOD....
However, i can say that the song is good/nice but not my taste or that the song is not a hit but to say that its crap ?!? not my style...
I think that people saying that DS9 is crap are using very harsh words...
Look at me - im so in love with this band.
I cant even say a bad word about MONTEGO BAY...
OK, so it doesnt have the most charming sound in the world but its AV's so i say that its unusual and not like the others but as i said before - i accept it as a gift...
Thats the way i think.
I can critisize when i want. I can say that MOONBOY is not one of my fave songs and that AS FOR LOVE is a very good song but not my taste.
Thats the way i critic AV.

@ville - forever and ever.
Visit me at: http://members.nana.co.il/planet/euphoria
Adiville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2001, 02:21   #9
Dingerz
Dreamer

Adi!! THat is EXACTLY How I think - that the songs given to us by artists are gifts and that nothing really ever "sucks" or is "crap" because we all have such different tastes.

What floors me is when people say "oh that's CRAP" and it's sometng you happen to REALLY REALLY love. So you sit there and think huh???? I do agree that words as "crap" are a bit harsh and don't really say much at all.

I wish when people talk about not liking something they say why (eg lyrics are bad or cheesy, or the melody is too repetitive, or the music isn't well produced or it isn't as intricate as they'd like it to be)

I always have noticed that the ones who go on saying things "suck" are the ones who never have any explanation as to why they don't like it. Not all the time but MOST of the time..

But yeah, I hate the stance some fans take that the bands they like OWE them. No they bloody don't!! How do you figure that an artists OWES anyone?? The songs and the albums we get are all GIFTS and we are lucky to have them. You'd be surprised how many don't feel this way...

"They owe me" "They haven't put out enough videos, they just don't CARE about their fans" These are the phrases that REALLY really bother me..

Tara
..artists are not machines, they don't pump work out around the clock and in mass quantity.. They are HUMAN BEINGS.

Dingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2001, 02:28   #10
GoldGirl
Dreamer

I think that most of us are here cause we love Alphaville as our number 1 band
Not going to say all
I know I am on other forums and mailing lists like Matt Bianco and ATC, and they are not me fav bands to say the least
Cause Alphaville is
What I am trying to say I don't think I am doing well
Ok, Let me say it this way
On the Matt Bianco and ATC list I have been very critical in what I have said on there
Cause I think some of the stuff could be done better or whatever
So I will tell them that
But with Alphaville since they touch me in such a way and I do really think that Alphavilles songs are basically all beautiful in one way or another
This is why Alphaville IS me fav band of all time
I used to be a very big Duran Duran fan too
But there were alot of songs they did that I just did not like
I haven't found an AV song I do not like
So those that have songs that they do not like that are AV more power to you to be able to express that you don't care for it and why etc.
But as for me, I can't cause there arent any I do not like really
So it would be a waste of time for me to say anything bad
Like Adi I can't say anything bad against any of the songs

A better world..No hate and no lies..This could be the way to PARADISE!!
Nicka

Edited by - GoldGirl on 06 Mar 2001 03:30:42
GoldGirl is offline   Reply With Quote