Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville Discussion

Old 23 Mar 2015, 01:20   #11
humanracer
Dreamer

I also think part of the problem is the online stores supplying the wrong files for first harvest. The FH version is about 4:52 and is a new edit. It is probably the only version to feature the angels line.

I wonder what the version on the LP is?
humanracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2015, 07:34   #12
vafe
Dreamer

As I know, is was a mistake by the record company, because there were 2 master tapes for the album TBB. The Wea used the right master for the pressing to the LP, but for the CD pressing they used the wrong. It is the reason, that 2 album versions have the Romeos. And verily, from the CD version is missing the line on the end of the song: "In different shapes...." - Info by Bernhard, 1996 ;-)
vafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2015, 12:24   #13
jetset
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafe View Post
As I know, is was a mistake by the record company, because there were 2 master tapes for the album TBB. The Wea used the right master for the pressing to the LP, but for the CD pressing they used the wrong. It is the reason, that 2 album versions have the Romeos. And verily, from the CD version is missing the line on the end of the song: "In different shapes...." - Info by Bernhard, 1996 ;-)
I'm surprised, since the version on my album CD is the correct one with all lines

jetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2015, 17:09   #14
nicole
Dreamer

I like to hear the other version of Romeos so I know the difference. One thing I have noticed that AV does is change some of their songs from the music videos. If you hear Jet Set (album version) compared to the actual music video, there is a difference. The same thing happened with their other songs as well, but I don't remember exactly which ones. It's quite interesting.

nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2015, 17:58   #15
Krapplund
Dream Keeper
www.krapplund.com

The promo 12" vinyl release from Atlantic have that part with on both versions (A and B-side)

"Alphaville ohne Bernhard ist wie eine Apfelstrudel ohne apfel"
17'04'2003
www.krapplund.com
Krapplund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2015, 18:58   #16
mdeconno
Dreamer

The question to ask yourself is "why" they changed the lyrics? Not that there is a difference. "Why" is there an extended version, "Why" there is a slower version, "Why" there is more, or less, of a musical interlude in some songs, "Why" songs on a Greatest Hits are different than the Original. Even ask yourself "Why" some extremely popular songs (i.e., Red Rose, Romeos) was not added to the "Stark Naked and Absolutely Live" CD but other ones made the cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole View Post
I like to hear the other version of Romeos so I know the difference. One thing I have noticed that AV does is change some of their songs from the music videos. If you hear Jet Set (album version) compared to the actual music video, there is a difference. The same thing happened with their other songs as well, but I don't remember exactly which ones. It's quite interesting.
Last edited by mdeconno; 23 Mar 2015 at 19:02.
mdeconno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2015, 19:27   #17
nicole
Dreamer

There are so many questions I'd love to ask Marian. I believe maybe AV had so many ideas that they made a song or remix to everyone of their ideas? I really don't know why they made so many remixes. I think it is a great idea they have done that and still continue to do. Their ideas are very intelligent in many ways, and of course I always ask myself "why" they did what they did. That's what makes AV such a great and different band.

nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2015, 22:37   #18
humanracer
Dreamer

This topic has been discussed on the AV mailing list since about 2003:

I have also two different versions of the album and this has always puzzled
me and I have been meaning to ask the society for a long long time. I have
two different versions of "Romeos", one where Marian sings "Angels in
different shapes" (I think) a couple of times just at the end of the song
and one where this line is gone. Is this same that you have experienced or
do we have various copies of copies?

Anyone?

/Carl.

The version on First Harvest is a shorter one (mixed by someone) but the two
different versions of Romeos on Breathtaking do have the same length. You
could also if you listen close to the speaker notice a bit higher voice on
the chorus just after the guitar solo singing, "You could see us from the
window tonite" on the version without the "Angels in different shapes".
Please try.

All the best!

/Carl.

Hi!
I have TBB in LP (vinyl) and this version contains Marian singing "Angels in different shapes"
Is there other vinyl version without this line?
�kos
humanracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2015, 02:21   #19
Foolship1077
Travelling Companion

I've heard of this, too, as the "angel-less" version also plays on Pandora.

As far as I can tell, the US version has the "angels" part in the song, but the European version does not. Being in the States, and TBB being the first CD I've ever gotten, I know I hear it in that recording, so I was surprised to hear that there was another version on CD that didn't!

I also notice that the angels are missing on the 12" remix, which I have as a vinyl, not just in the So80s CDs.

Hello, my friend...
Foolship1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2015, 12:56   #20
Halfnelson
Waiter

I'm confused too. All my versions (except Maxis) have the 'different shapes' line and my CD is an European CD+G ? Now I'm curious about the version without... (I can't listen my LP vinyl anymore though)

Halfnelson is offline   Reply With Quote