Demo with R. Echolette

hi
on DREAMSCAPES cd 2

there are
Lassie Come Home 1981 (Demo 2)
Carol Masters 1981 (Demo 1)

It's notice 1981, but R Echolette is noted on the credits
It's a mistake ?

There are Fantastic Dream, Red Rose, The Voyager 1984 (so decembre 1984 ?)!!!

It's a mistake ?
RICKWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2017, 12:56   #2
Halfnelson
Waiter

Hi Rickwolf,

Just guessing:
Carol Masters -> a 1981 1st-version-written instrumental, recorded in 1983, vocalized in 1998 using lyrics from A.I.U.'s Carol Masters.
Maybe credits should have been: Written by Gold/Lloyd/Mertens, Lyrics by Gold/Lloyd/Echolette

Lassie come Home. 1981 -> an error or a song coming from a 1981 1st writing, instrumental or not. I prefer the second hypothesis as the song comes right after Carol masters & Airport Sketch both from the the G.L.M. era.
Nothing shocking in the credits as this version was recorded in 1985.

Again, just gratuitous guesses.

Halfnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2017, 00:11   #3
humanracer
Dreamer

Halfnelson, are you saying these demos were just instrumentals and MG added the vocals for this boxset? Do you have confirmation of this?

I only have the digital version of DS but the below page has more accurate information about the songs
http://www.alphaville.it/ds.htm

A lot of it has to do with royalties. If Ricky was given writing credits in 1986 then that means that he has to be credited for the demos too even if he was not part of the recording process.
humanracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2017, 11:25   #4
Halfnelson
Waiter

No, only C.M. was an instrumental in the Dreamscapes versions

from Dreamscapes booklet pg 60:
C.M. 81 (demo 1 corrected into 1. version in D. Revisited): Written by G.L.E. All instruments/ambiances by G.L.M. Recorded & Mixed by G.L.M. in Enger 1982. Vocals recorded by L. at BLL. Produced by Alphaville

As you see, for this one, I didn't invent anything, just reading the credits. Ricky being listed in the credits is just because in A.I.U the whole music/lyrics credits were attributed to G.L.E. My Instrumental interpretation is mainly because I doubt that AV had separate vocal tape tracks for so early demos.

from Dreamscapes booklet pg 60:
L.C.H. 81 (demo 2) Written by G.L.E. All instruments by G.L.E. Recorded/Mixed by Alphaville, Mīnster 1985 Produced by Alphaville.

No problem for Ricky being included here as in 85 G.L.E. is the line-uo. This is demo 2 so we can imagine a first version from GLM era. I made the hypothesis that the 1st-still-unreleased version was an instrumental, but in this case this is a wild guess & I wasn't speaking of the Dreamscapes version anyway.

Marian had stated in an old interview that he didn't care too much (I can't remember the exact terms) about credits. So this is my interpretation that in most cases of the Dreamscapes box - (songs with previous released versions) - the credits given where of the released versions, with little consideration of the included-box-versions. The other credits (recorded/mixed/instruments/etc.) are more informatives.

Now take all this with a grain of salt, I'm not an insider and I can be proved wrong.

Halfnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2017, 16:14   #5
humanracer
Dreamer

So I am understanding right, is Bernard singing on the CM demo?
humanracer is offline   Reply With Quote