Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Other Artists > Other Artists

Old 28 Aug 2001, 04:17   #11
simpledumbpilot
Dreamer

The Party's Over is a great album,fantastic!!
My fave Talk Talk songs have to be Today,Such A Shame,Talk Talk,and Have You Heard The News.Anybody know what any of the folks are up to now,i believe Mark Hollis released a solo album not long ago but i havent investigated it,might be worth giving a try.

Stu

simpledumbpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2003, 15:24   #12
Kaz
Her...

Talk Talk's 'It's My Life' has just been re-released as a mix by Liquid People - it's good and has a great beat, but you can't beat the original!

Mark Hollis was/is a genius when it comes to ambient music (among his faves are Eric Satie and John Cage, also pure genius) and his lyrics are pure poetry. I know he released a solo album in the late 90s but from what I can gather, he hasn't done much in the public eye since then (I saw an interview online with him circa 1998 and nothing more).

Would be great to know what he's doing now. Talk Talk were one of my fave bands in the 80s and I still love the music!

Before you judge me, make sure you're perfect.
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2003, 18:04   #13
JaJaJa
Rebel Dreamer

@ Kaz

There are bands and songs nobody should cover - the whole backcatalogue of Talk Talk belongs to it
(I remember that Sandra (or should I say Michael Cretu?) made a terrible version of Such A Shame
not long ago (she can´t get enough of doing stupid things)).
I truly can recommend the solo album of Mark Hollis, but one has to say, who didn´t like the experimental side of Talk Talk, won´t get a clue to this stuff. Hmmm, there was something new
about him I cannot recall at the moment...well, Talk Talk Live In London ´86 is a great thing (Renee is my favourite on it)... I guess there´s much more to tell about them...one of the most important
artists ever!!!
...Ah, yeah...their former bass player Rustin Man made a record together with the Portishead singer Beth Gibbons last year as most of you will probably know, which is just...timeless!
JaJaJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2003, 10:04   #14
Alien
Trapped in Dreams

Lately I got to listen to "Such A Shame" and "It's My Life". Nice songs!

*MADE IN USSR*
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2003, 10:21   #15
FallenAngel
Some Kind Of Angel

I got only cd of them 'the very best' and I really like this cd.

'Such a Same' is one of their best.

You can do just what you wanna
You can kill or you can die
Be a beggar or a princess
But you'll never lose your style
Ephemere - Fallen Angel

FallenAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2012, 16:06   #16
Kaz
Her...

Am going through a Talk Talk phase again and have really been listening hard to all their back catalogue and Mark Hollis' solo albums. The guy is a fecking musical wonder! And so down to earth and humble with it. Today's "musicians" could learn a lot from him. Such a shame he retired quite a few years ago now.

Sorry. Just had to get the pun in [smile2]

Old 06 Jul 2012, 17:16   #17
sophienoelle
Themaestro'sgirl

Ooooohhhh - More memories! I forgot about Talk Talk - Downloading "The Collection" right now. It looks like a compilation that came out in 2004.

“Therefore, let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.”
sophienoelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2012, 23:21   #18
Kaz
Her...

So I couldn't find my copy of "Natural History". Had it for years and am peed right off. So I bought another copy on ebay with a DVD of the videos for the singles. Have just watched the whole DVD of the Montreux gig in 1986. Amazing. There's just something about Mark Hollis' voice. Beauty and pain all at the same time. Anyone who thinks Talk Talk were just another synthpop band is so, so, so wrong. It couldn't be further from the truth. They were probably the most creative, innovative and experimental band to come out of the UK in the 80s, if not in the past half century. They took risks and paid for them with lack of commercial recognition, but they left a huge legacy and major influence.

Wish Hollis would come out of retirement and do one last gig! My life has a big hole in it!

EDIT: btw, I found the CD...

Last edited by Kaz; 27 Jul 2012 at 01:12.
Old 08 Jul 2012, 23:38   #19
Starman
Forever Canada

I haven't listened to Talk Talk for years. I think I may have to do a youtube search tonight and watch some videos! Thanks for the suggestion.

Love Life. Everything else is just details... [star]
Starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2012, 00:46   #20
Kaz
Her...

Have you got Spotify? If so, get all the albums on a playlist and see the development. "The Colour of Spring" and "Spirit of Eden" are absolute masterpieces.