Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville News

Old 16 Aug 2017, 14:37   #91
AmberVonAvalon
Dreamer

Side note:

I felt like $150 for front row was so cheap after all the Duran shows I've been to the past couple years. It was a nice change from $300-$450.

Now the party's over, I'm so tired ~ Then I see you coming out of nowhere
Much communication in a motion ~ Without conversation or a notion
Avalon
AmberVonAvalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2017, 16:49   #92
mdeconno
Dreamer

I remember a time when tickets were $19.00 to $25.00 per show (1977-1994). Then, only Pink Floyd/Rolling Stones/The Eagles had the outrageous price of $70.00. Times and prices have definitely changed.

I am willing to pay high prices for Alphaville (and a couple others) but these days I usually pass on most concerts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberVonAvalon View Post
Side note:

I felt like $150 for front row was so cheap after all the Duran shows I've been to the past couple years. It was a nice change from $300-$450.
mdeconno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2017, 17:14   #93
andrewbw
Dreamer

Quote:
Side note:

Yeah, I think my perception is somewhat colored by remembering how much tickets used to cost. I went to the first and second Lollapalooza festivals. Those tickets were $25. I saw Pink Floyd's Delicate Sound Of Thunder tour in 1988; those were $20. Any other club show or small arena show around that time was $15 or less. "Service fees" were like 50 cents.

I suppose it does come down to value: I also saw Roger Waters' Us And Them tour this year. We had just "ok" seats and they were $175 or so each, with another $30 or so in stupid service fees (and tickets for that show were as high as $1000!) While I love Roger Waters and Pink Floyd, and he put on an amazing, five-star show, I feel like I got way more enjoyment out of the Alphaville show. I would've happily paid $150 for front-row seats at AV had they still been available when I bought tickets.
Last edited by andrewbw; 16 Aug 2017 at 17:17. Reason: Fixed a typo.
andrewbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2017, 18:43   #94
AmberVonAvalon
Dreamer

With the way the industry has changed, bands make a big percentage of their living from concerts rather than record sales. For better or worse. :(

Now the party's over, I'm so tired ~ Then I see you coming out of nowhere
Much communication in a motion ~ Without conversation or a notion
Avalon
AmberVonAvalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2017, 20:38   #95
hikanteki
Dreamer

Quote:
With the way the industry has changed, bands make a big percentage of their living from concerts rather than record sales. For better or worse. :(
I agree. With record/CD sales dropping they have to make up the money somehow, and buying single tracks on iTunes or Amazon doesn't make up for that. I remember even as recently as the early 00's, it was easy to find tickets to live shows for around $20-25 for most. Then there was a big, sudden bump to ~$50-60.
hikanteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2017, 17:01   #96
andrewbw
Dreamer

I don't know how likely this is, but I'd be cool to hear from the band or its management how they felt the US shows went. Were they happy with everything? Would they consider coming back in the future? No reason other than curiosity. The San Jose show had great energy from the band and the audience, and I'm assuming the rest were similar if not better. So I hope Marian + crew were pleased with how everything turned out.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 17:15   #97
nicole
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbw View Post
I don't know how likely this is, but I'd be cool to hear from the band or its management how they felt the US shows went. Were they happy with everything? Would they consider coming back in the future? No reason other than curiosity. The San Jose show had great energy from the band and the audience, and I'm assuming the rest were similar if not better. So I hope Marian + crew were pleased with how everything turned out.
This is a wonderful idea! I would want to know how fun they had along with if there's a possibility they will come back. I think the Chicago show was a success.

nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2017, 16:44   #98
mdeconno
Dreamer

You would have to contact a promoter to see if they will come back, not the band. The promoter is the one who pays to bring them over to America, and hopes to recoup his/her expenses to make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbw View Post
mdeconno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2017, 16:46   #99
andrewbw
Dreamer

Oh sure, I've worked with concert promoters, I realize they're the ones that bare the brunt of the financial and practical responsibility. I was more curious just how the band itself viewed the experience.
Old 02 Sep 2017, 20:48   #100
AtraOvis
Dreamer

Alphaville live

I was privileged to have been at the live show in Burbank, 08/12/17 and got to meet Marian afterwards! What a super nice, funny and kind human being!! We chatted in German and shared a few giggles because he asked me where I was from (Bremerhaven) but now live in Florida, etc. and when I told him that I had to move across an ocean to see them live, making a childhood dream finally come true - it cracked him up! The concert was fantastic and the band blew the crowd away as renditions of old and new songs filled the night, the highlight being 'Forever Young', with Marian's voice as brilliant as ever. Glad to have found this forum and I look forward to chatting with like-minded fans of Alphaville!!

PlcAtraOvis
AtraOvis is offline   Reply With Quote