Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville News

Old 12 Aug 2017, 11:10   #71
nicole
Dreamer

I'm so glad you had fun! Marian knows how to put on a good show! It's definitely an experience you'll never forget!

nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2017, 06:40   #72
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

Here's a picture of the poster which they had for the band at the Chicago Theater. It took a while for it to show up... It cycled through a whole bunch of them before landing on it.

MarianGoldfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2017, 07:22   #73
andrewbw
Dreamer

aah, I should've gotten a picture of the electronic marquee at the San Jose show! Nice picture.

I have some photos and videos from that show that I'll post when I'm unpacked and unburied from work obligations. Just got back home this evening.
andrewbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2017, 12:45   #74
nicole
Dreamer

That's a great picture! I wish I saw that!

@ Andrew- And yes, I'd love to see your photos and videos!!

Old 14 Aug 2017, 18:55   #75
wii
Dream Master

Can anyone that have enjoyed one or more shows in the US, please write a review and send to me?

If you are on Facebook, send it via Messenger with pictures attached and I will post here.

https://www.facebook.com/nielsenwilly
wii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2017, 21:54   #76
nicole
Dreamer

I just submitted a review to you now!

Old 14 Aug 2017, 22:06   #77
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

I just sent one to you, as well! :) Hopefully it isn't too brief or too vague.. I hope it helps.
MarianGoldfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2017, 22:45   #78
hikanteki
Dreamer

Hi everyone! This is my first post here but after seeing them in San Jose, I felt compelled to join. :)

It was such a great show -- I never thought I'd see them live, and in my own city no less! (I live walking distance from the Civic...) It is hard to believe that Marian Gold is in his 60s. He had so much energy, still does fantastic voice work, looked great, and was quite a ham.

The best performance of the night in my opinion was Sounds Like a Melody...LOVED how they went straight from Victory of Love into the opening riffs of SLaM. Sent shivers down my spine.

The audience was clearly connecting with them. I was a bit disappointed and surprised though that the venue was not that full. The City National Civic supports around 3K people and from my estimation it was only around 1/3 full.

Before the tour, I was trying to find evidence on whether they had played the US before. The advertisements said that it was their first (and possibly only) time at all these cities, although they stopped short of saying it was their first US tour. But if this is their first time in New York Los Angeles (or SF Bay Area, Chicago, and Houston for that matter...all of these are Top 10 media markets), then it is hard to believe that they have been in the US before.

On setlist.fm, it shows three previous dates, 2 in 1999 and 1 in 2001, all in Salt Lake City, Utah. Does anyone know of any other US cities they may have played before this tour?
hikanteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2017, 22:58   #79
nicole
Dreamer

I'm so glad to hear you had a great time! It was a great and fun experience for me as well so I know how you feel! Anyways, this is Alphavilles first US tour. They've never been to the cities they visited this time around (Chicago, Houston, NYC, The Bay Area) And yes they've only played in Salt Lake City those 2 years so this US tour is their official US tour since they've never played at any of these cities before. Im sure it was quite exciting for them as it was for us!

Old 14 Aug 2017, 23:22   #80
andrewbw
Dreamer

Hi hikanteki! I was at the San Jose show as well. I agree, I love the transition from Victory Of Love into Sounds Like A Melody. They've been playing those two tracks like that for a while, and it's just spectacular to witness in person.

I noticed the venue wasn't that full either, although it was a good crowd. Good energy, and people seemed to appreciate old and new material alike—they weren't just there to hear the "hits." I don't think (does anyone know for certain? Nicole, how was the Chicago show, people-wise?) any of the US shows came close to selling out, but it didn't seem like any of them were disasters, either. Videos of the Houston show I've seen look pretty dire with not a lot of people there, but I'm not even sure why they played Houston to begin with. I suppose it worked as a "soft" opening to shows elsewhere. Tickets were what I would call pretty expensive for a single-headliner event, so perhaps they were counting less on packing people in to the rafters, and instead on attracting enough people like all of us willing to pay (almost) any amount, and willing to travel from out of state like I did. :)

I think it was a gamble for them to tour the US at all, so I'm glad the shows seemed to go off well and have as many people as they did.

I haven't heard anything about the LA show yet—curious to see how it did, attendance wise. Playing an amphitheater is really hard, I think, because you don't have four walls compressing the sound and helping to add immediacy and volume.
andrewbw is offline   Reply With Quote