Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville News

Old 26 Mar 2019, 13:46   #151
Mart
Dreamer

The Demos Disc is more crisp and clean. It's definitely a remaster of DS.

There is a trick with taking the disc from their pockets. Lift the left edge of the disc with the flat of your finger. Place another finger under the hole in the disc and push it slowly to the left. The disc will slide out no problem

I'm gliding in the distance and watch the world go by
An orbit full of questions, a perforated sky
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2019, 13:47   #152
RRC
Exclusive Fanclub Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo72 View Post
My remastered forever young disc is skipping a lot. I'll try to it in a different player tonight.
All discs plays fine
Quote:
All discs play OK. Some problem was the reading DVD in CD-Rom. I tried to another two - it plays, as also in bluray player.
Problem is on the old Pioneer DVD-RW with DVD disc, but in a new one (also Pioneer) plays fine. There is a mistake U76 in BluRay Panasonic at first, but after it plays withou any freeze or another bad things. Only mastering is not very good...for me.
Last edited by RRC; 26 Mar 2019 at 13:53.
RRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2019, 13:52   #153
RRC
Exclusive Fanclub Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
There is a trick with taking the disc from their pockets. Lift the left edge of the disc with the flat of your finger. Place another finger under the hole in the disc and push it slowly to the left. The disc will slide out no problem

I take them off only one time....after it I put them into regular CD box.

Mart, what can you tell about Whisky CDs? There is only a little piece of any disc on the top. What did you do with them?
Last edited by RRC; 26 Mar 2019 at 14:16.
Old 26 Mar 2019, 14:57   #154
Mart
Dreamer

What to do is spread the opening of the CD slot out with a finger. Don't push the Discs in too much. They should easy be removable then.

One flaw on the FY boxset is there is no option on the DVD menu to "Play All" the videos.

Having said that, it is fascinating to see how the songs were mixed in the studio

Last edited by Mart; 26 Mar 2019 at 15:18.
Old 27 Mar 2019, 05:42   #155
happysheep
Dreamer

Ok, I LOVE Alphaville, and I appreciate the care they put into this super deluxe edition overall, but... is anyone else disappointed in the sound quality?

Take "A Victory Of Love". For the first eight glorious notes there is ZERO hiss... weirdly so... as if you're magically about to hear the cleanest remastering ever! But then, the instant the percussion and the rest of the instrumentation starts up -- BOOM! TONS OF HISS! It's like whoever was remastering it said "let's treat the first eight notes with some fancy filter to remove all hiss, and then hope people won't notice the high levels of hiss that start once the main song kicks in". That isn't really remastering -- that's just some studio trickery to fool people into thinking they're hearing something "cleaner" than it really is, right?

If you think I'm crazy, please go back and listen to the unremastered version on your CD or what-have-you. I can't be the only one who's hearing this weird change that they did!

As for the b-sides and extended mixes, you can distinctly hear that some of these are cleaned-up vinyl transfers rather from the original master tapes. Perhaps the original tapes have been lost over time, or were too degraded to use. These things happen -- I understand that. But I was secretly hoping that somehow the sound quality for this classic album was going to be much "purer" than what ended up on it. Otherwise, a beautiful release.
happysheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2019, 10:42   #156
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

The only thing I wish wasn't noticeable is in Traumtanzer, you can hear artifacts due to how much noise reduction was done. It's not horrible, and I know noise reduction is a bitch, especially with hiss, but man...
MarianGoldfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2019, 15:27   #157
wii
Dream Master

happysheep,

No way, the sound is much better than the original release. The hiss is not completely gone, you're right, but I don't blame anyone for that, since it was recorded in 1984, but the sound is much more detailed, dynamic and clean. I can clearly hear this on my new amp + headphones, it sounds excellent.

The above applies to the album itself, the extras don't have the same sound, the maxis are good though, but the demoes are clearly inferior, but they are demos, I can live with that
wii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2019, 22:02   #158
RRC
Exclusive Fanclub Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysheep View Post
Ok, I LOVE Alphaville, and I appreciate the care they put into this super deluxe edition overall, but...

Take "A Victory Of Love". For the first eight glorious notes there is ZERO hiss... weirdly so... as if you're magically about to hear the cleanest remastering ever! But then, the instant the percussion and the rest of the instrumentation starts up -- BOOM! TONS OF HISS!

Yes, you are 100% right!!!
The same effect is on the To germany with Love, Lies, Forever Young....
Old 27 Mar 2019, 22:15   #159
RRC
Exclusive Fanclub Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
The Demos Disc is more crisp and clean. It's definitely a remaster of DS.
Remaster? I don't think so. May be, but not so much as the Album or Singles...the same level and most songs looks as on DS, the same noise also.

PS The bear stepped on my ear...may be. I think all songs are just simply taken from DS.
NICE BOX and SUPER CD2!!!
Old 27 Mar 2019, 22:32   #160
Mart
Dreamer

Has anyone noticed the flutter in Marian's voice at the end of Elevator. It does not happen on the DS track, and I'd just like to add that I have Tinnitus in my ears, so I can not assimilate with the sound of the Audio CDs