Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville Discussion

Old 26 Nov 2014, 15:20   #11
shapeseven
Astral Buddy

as for Blacky: yes, he appeared close to Alphaville, but has never contributed musically except for a few live gigs - so far. But this will change, as he was involved in some songs written for Strange Attractor.
shapeseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2014, 15:42   #12
humanracer
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfnelson View Post
You came from another dimension wich was speaked about in Dreamscape 1ne introduction text by J.F. Nelson. This can explain why it's difficult for you to manipulate objects from this dimension...

About A&THOG I think I can remember a transcript of an old interview with Marian saying about SLC that A&THOG versions of the songs exists. It is my understanding that, basically, Dreamscape 5ive is So Long Celeste - A&THOG original version.

VOOV stands for Violation Of Ordinary Values and is one (or associated with) of the Boom Operators, writers of Peace On Earth.

A. Schwarz-Rusczcynski is a long time collaborator (mainly guitars) & friend of AV.

Please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.
I think A&THOG did two gigs in 87 and 91. They were like an early prototype of the touring band of AV since the original members did not really like performing live. To The Underground was recorded in the studio in 87 along with Whales and Burning Wheels. Were these tracks intended for the third Alphaville album or a separate solo release?

Andreas performed on Breathtaking Blue so I assume the songs recorded in 88 and 89 were outtakes from that album. I certainly feel Thunder and Lightning is stronger than say Ariana.

I assume Waves is a AIU outtake. I can understand why it was rejected as it sounds very experimental. Kind of like the stuff David Sylvian was doing at the time.

Regarding the 82-84 tracks, we know that two of three German tracks were recorded in English so technically not unreleased. The third German track Traumtänzer sounds like early Ultraxox and would have made a good b side.

Into The Dark is probably the most commercial sounding track of the early demos and, with a bit of reworking, could have easily fitted on Forever Young.

Romance is too short for me to make any kind of judgement on its quality.

Colours has a decent melody and might have worked with some lyrics.

The instrumentals Iron Gate, Airport Sketch and Imperial Youth sound rather experimental. It is hard to believe it came from the same band who wrote Big in Japan. Iron Gate is the best of the bunch.
humanracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2014, 15:45   #13
humanracer
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapeseven View Post
as for Blacky: yes, he appeared close to Alphaville, but has never contributed musically except for a few live gigs - so far. But this will change, as he was involved in some songs written for Strange Attractor.
Didn't he play guitar on Breathtaking Blue?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bre...ns_and_credits
Old 26 Nov 2014, 18:01   #14
shapeseven
Astral Buddy

interesting question - and maybe he forgot, cause he said to me he didn't play on any releases so far. might be I misunderstood him. or he simply forgot. whatever ;)
Old 26 Nov 2014, 18:48   #15
jetset
Dreamer

If you (ever) needed another material to work on, Toby, that's an interesting one !
Most intriguishing is that I have a document dating circa 1986, it is a list of AV fan clubs -at the time the person in charge of replying to fans was a certain Marion-, and one of them is named "Blauer Angel", when no-one knew this track title...

jetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2014, 19:20   #16
humanracer
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset View Post
If you (ever) needed another material to work on, Toby, that's an interesting one !
Most intriguishing is that I have a document dating circa 1986, it is a list of AV fan clubs -at the time the person in charge of replying to fans was a certain Marion-, and one of them is named "Blauer Angel", when no-one knew this track title...
In December 2000, Marian discussed Alphaville's first demo tape:

Hey Christina!
In 1983 Frank and I hitchhiked from Münster to Berlin hoping to get somebody (a publisher or a record company) interested in our music. We presented a tape with several songs to a couple people (one of them was Colin Pearson, our producer to be). As far as I remember the tape started with "Blauer Engel" and ended with "Forever Young". Furthermore it contained "Traumtänzer", "Leben Ohne Ende", "Into The Dark", "Summer In Berlin" and probably "The Jet Set" (all in the DS-Format). There may have been some more tracks but I can´t recall them. It´s all so damn long ago.
Love
Marian Gold
Old 26 Nov 2014, 19:38   #17
shapeseven
Astral Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset View Post

not quite right, BRAVO magazine mentioned BLAUER ENGEL in 1984 already, which is why it was such a big legend back then as it seemed to be unthinkable listening to a German track from AV
Old 26 Nov 2014, 19:55   #18
jetset
Dreamer

Ah I see ; it reminds me of an old post of mine when I was wondering about a song called "City By The Window" because a journalist translated the entire Marian's reply into english, including this title he quoted.
About Albert & The Heart Of Gold, there is a possibility you have many more questions from us

jetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2014, 20:13   #19
humanracer
Dreamer

Here is some information about the tracks performed by Albert & The Heart of Gold at the 1987 AIDS benefit show:

MG answers, we started with "Private Plane", the second song that was played exclusively for the festival was "Romeos" written a few days before. Then we brought forward "Underworld" followed by "Mercury Girl" and "Big in Japan". We also played a song by the Bee Gees "Sinking Ships", B-side of one of their first single, I believe it was "World". Then we finished the concert with "Islands". It was just seven songs, because so many other bands playing that night.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 22:19   #20
HVA
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanracer View Post

Regarding the 82-84 tracks, we know that two of three German tracks were recorded in English so technically not unreleased. The third German track Traumtänzer sounds like early Ultraxox and would have made a good b side.
Ok, so i know this is an old thread, but if i got this right, was there an english version of Blauer Engel? If so, is there anywhere i can listen to that version? It's one of my favourite songs and i'd like to know more about it!
HVA is offline   Reply With Quote