Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville News

Old 10 Apr 2017, 19:05   #1221
jetset
Dreamer

Despites its title, we found out that the masterpiece Beyond The Laughing Sky is more inspired by Pink Floyd than Alice in Wonderland.

The album also alludes to the English rock band at some point, but where?

The first right answer gets a snippet of a recording of Marian in studio

jetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2017, 21:08   #1222
humanracer
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetourist_2010 View Post
As for the versions on the LP:

MAFIA ISLAND
Starts with Marian’s solo vocals with the music slowly fading in. Quite atmospheric, with that Lana del Rey vibe. No mandolin part. Quite interesting.

HEARTBREAK CITY
Completely different song. No high vocals in the verses, but also different chorus (melody-wise, that is). Very harmless average radio pop (drums, guitars – say hello to a-ha), nothing special. The official album and video version is much more danceable and more powerful (especially the chorus) – and closer to “classic Alphaville”.

A HANDFUL OF DARKNESS
Alternative version, still a beautiful song but not as solemn as the version we know from Prague or the album now. A pop music approach to the song. No synth lines in the introductory part, and no children’s choir, either, and it features a classical fading-out. Still a great song. IMHO, the better version, though, is on the regular album.

AROUND THE UNIVERSE
“Classic” Alphaville (warm pad sounds introducing and underlying this version, build-up reminiscent of "Forever Young" or "Flame") but drums (coming in with the beginning of the second verse) are a bit poor. Far superior to the fourth track on the regular album, though still not as good as the song that we all know from the live shows from 2004 onwards (I would like to know if the band have a live recording from those days). But from the two versions that have finally made it onto records, this bonus version is by far the better one. A pity it is not available on CD or as a download.

Anyway, even if you haven’t got a record player and therefore cannot listen to the four extra tracks, the vinyl is well worth having as a piece of art — it just looks and “feels” amazing.
@emo72: As Tobias has already said, it is a double album, gatefold cover, with side B2 solely consisting of the four additional tracks.

thanks for the review. I am sure I will hear them eventually.
humanracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2017, 23:38   #1223
Mags
Moonshine

Waving... miss everyone :). So far nothing much to add , only that SA has been on repeat in my kitchen CD player since it came home on Friday...love lots of this album! Especially Around the Universe....seemed somehow so fitting when I'd just moved to Berlin. Now 13 years have passed.... .wow does it take me back! Life was both much more difficult but also much simpler in those days...

Open your eyes and let the sun break in for a while...there may be something that you've never seen inside...
Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2017, 01:48   #1224
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

I'm gonna buy both the MP3 AND CD editions off of Amazon when I get the money to do so. I've heard some of the tracks on Alphaville's auto-generated YouTube page and it's a 10/10 from me.
MarianGoldfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2017, 17:56   #1225
hajak
Exclusive Fanclub Member

Got my CD yesterday finally,only listened to it twice.

I see that some of you Think its the best AV has done but its not but there are some great songs here.
I will post my Review here in the end of the week(have to listen to it atleast 10 times to be able to write a fair Review)
hajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2017, 18:03   #1226
Arjan
Dreamer

I am very eager to hear the bonus track of Around the Universe based upon the review below. I bought the regular cd but dont jhave a vinyl player. Does anyone know where to hear or download this bonus track?

AROUND THE UNIVERSE
“Classic” Alphaville (warm pad sounds introducing and underlying this version, build-up reminiscent of "Forever Young" or "Flame") but drums (coming in with the beginning of the second verse) are a bit poor. Far superior to the fourth track on the regular album, though still not as good as the song that we all know from the live shows from 2004 onwards (I would like to know if the band have a live recording from those days). But from the two versions that have finally made it onto records, this bonus version is by far the better one. A pity it is not available on CD or as a download.
Arjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2017, 00:32   #1227
Halfnelson
Waiter

Oh gosh, oh golly, oh wow! CD & Vinyl are here!

The vinyl cover does look gorgeous, booklett is the opposite of CROG, but maybe there is more than meet the eye.
Writing credits are nowhere to be found ?

Now I feel somewhat being intimidated by the idea of listening this long awaited release. Eyes contact comes first...

On the minus side, as I don't have turntable, I was really hoping for something like this to come with the vinyl:
https://img.discogs.com/Yb2-1qktr9Fq...-2954.jpeg.jpg
Wav files of the bonus tracks would be very welcome
Halfnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2017, 09:26   #1228
Arjan
Dreamer

I agree. Can we send this message to the managemnet of AV somehow?
Old 12 Apr 2017, 09:32   #1229
Arjan
Dreamer

Why is this some much better than the cd version???
.https://youtu.be/tq6fbjP_y0M
Old 12 Apr 2017, 12:54   #1230
spacetourist_2010
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjan View Post
Why is this some much better than the cd version???
.https://youtu.be/tq6fbjP_y0M

It isn't.
But this one is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4pTRPKx1yw
IMO
spacetourist_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote