Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville Discussion

Old 24 Aug 2017, 04:03   #11
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

Here's an image (found on AlphavilleNOW!) of a piece of software. It shows Fever, and holy cow there's a lot of tracks.

MarianGoldfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2017, 04:50   #12
andrewbw
Dreamer

Hey, good music is complicated. :) I've watched a friend of mine who's a talented electronic musician piece together songs that sound deceptively simple yet may have 100 or more tracks. It all looks like a giant mess to me yet sounds amazing.

By the way, what's the context of this image? Where did it come from?
andrewbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2017, 09:05   #13
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

http://www.alphavillenow.com/post/66...ver-ps-use-the
MarianGoldfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2017, 12:17   #14
JaJaJa
Rebel Dreamer

Playing live and listening to live music is a totally different thing than
the production from the "can".
There is much more energy in the air and a single note gets more attention and causes much more power than on the record.
So I find it very interesting when a band, especially one that usually has that complexity in their musical arrangements, reduces those arrangements down as extremely as possible to the most essential substance for their live performance, I mean for them to play really live.

Second is that the grown technology has not only altered the music, but also the sensitiveness of the audiences, for example in rhythm: What was a good groove in the eighties, doesn't necessarily make people move today. So people expect much more perfection than three decades ago. Ticket prices support that. So even to good musicians it has become harder to reproduce things live well without any playback.
But - going back to my first view - I often compare this with a corset: Even the most groovy tune can sound lame when musicians play live to a "tape", because energy and adrenaline makes you all go further, maybe play a little faster during the song (that actually IS groove) - but you can't as the computer says no.

A band doesn't have to have the super virtuosi, it definitely is much more important for the groove that people can musically (and personally) interact to each other. And that only works by much time to spend in rehearsals. Then live played music is much more airy and beats technology. But it is a long way.

Между нами дураками естъ один большой дурак.
Раз, два, три - Это верно ты!
JaJaJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2017, 20:09   #15
andrewbw
Dreamer

I think those are all really good points, JaJaJa. AV has done something really remarkable in how they've re-arranged several of their most popular songs (I'm thinking of Big In Japan in particular) for live performance, and done so without turning off long-time fans. I think Marian has a really clear vision of the sort of band he wants Alphaville to be live, versus the sort of band it is on its albums, and keeps these sometimes contrasting ideas well-connected. I don't think many bands could pull that off as successfully.
andrewbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2017, 13:31   #16
JaJaJa
Rebel Dreamer

I agree and disagree about Marian's vision at the same time, because to me he loves spontaneity and often plays around with things live - not always to the advantage of the song. Been a bit distant to AV during the last few years, I'm finding it interesting to hit yt for current live shows and my (critical as usually) conclusion is: This line-up really could become a good live-band... :-D

Между нами дураками естъ один большой дурак.
Раз, два, три - Это верно ты!
JaJaJa is offline   Reply With Quote