Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville Discussion

Old 20 Feb 2003, 23:51   #1
Tavern
Dreamer

Official Listening to Crazyshow Topic

Hello Alphellows,

after having visited the enire Crazyshow for two times I want to share my first impressions with you.

To begin with a very positive component: The design is outstanding, marvellous, Alphavillish. A box of discs turns into a treasure (normally these are my thoughts after having listened to the music).

But I have to admit that Iīm kinda disappointed with the music. I donīt think that the previously unknown songs are bad (I read very positive comments by other fans on them), but I by myself expected more. I really like the release-party-songs (Ways and Heartbreaker), Wonderboy, Still Falls the Rain...thatīs it more or less. Some are ok (State of Dreams, Return to Paradise) or at least interesting (Crazyshow, Opium Den), but many others (e.g. Ship of Fools, Hurricane, Giants, About a Heart...) are, sorry, definitively not my taste. They bore me. I just canīt find anything of AVīs genius in them like I couldnīt find it as well in some of the Websongs (C Me Thru, Those Wonderful Things, Waiting 4 the Nu Lite). And thatīs the next point: though I like most of those Websongs, I think itīs a lot to pay approx. 40$ for already known songs with partially insignificantly altered new versions (exception: Shadows She Said). But this already has been discussed to death...
The cover songs are more (Do the Strand!!) or less (Diamonds are 4 Eva) okay, but not AV.

Hence, Crazyshow for me is
- 10% good new stuff
- 25% good known stuff
- 25% the same good known stuff again
- 10% to (potentially) grow into
- 30% to skip away
presented in a really good package.

Wonder what you think.

Have a nice weekend
Tavern

Tavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2003, 08:40   #2
rolandk
Exclusive Fanclub Member

Iīve only listened once to the whole Crazyshow, but so far I agree with you.
The design of this boxset is brilliant and through this it becomes a real treasure.
But the music is also not satisfying me completely.

In the end we got 15 new songs (including Ways and Heartbreaker), the rest is a mixture of cover-versions, new versions of the Websongs, remixes and (again) the Websongs.
If you ask me, then they could have left the 4th CD away. I donīt think I will listen often to it.

Itīs really a strange feeling to listen to a new album and you already know the half of it.

No doubt, there are fantastic songs on this album and Iīm sure I will start to like many of the new songs with the time, but there are too many fillers (not so good songs) on it, like Those wonderful things, C me thru, Upside down, Girl from Pachacamac and more.

I also would have prefered a different order of the songs: why not put all the new songs on one CD? And then make one CD with the remixes of the Websongs (and here I miss 1st monday!!) and then one more CD with all these instrumentals, remixes, demos and covers. I would have prefered it this way.

It is a good album, in a fantastic package, but still I expected more from Alphaville.
rolandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2003, 13:24   #3
Adiville
big in japan

Well, I dont have the box yet but i think i will like it more than you because i already love all the songs that you've mentioned as dissapointing :
C me thru, new light, wonderful things, girl from..., upside down...
of course i dont know yet the unknown songs but i guess my taste is very different from the both of you so i might like the new box more than you....
and one more thing : sometimes, a song might sound better after several times you listen to it
So from now on - i better shut up till i get my box

"Ok Adi, this song is for you..." Freiberg 13.8.2005
Adiville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2003, 21:57   #4
Tavern
Dreamer

@alpha-x

I suppose that a lot of people (and hopefully you among them) will love the Crazyshow and I really donīt think that particular songs (C Me Thru etc.) are bad; I just hoped for some more afternoons with breathtaking Patti on the flipside of the Empire...but I guess these days are over.
Old 22 Feb 2003, 15:07   #5
rolandk
Exclusive Fanclub Member

Quote:
quote:and one more thing : sometimes, a song might sound better after several times you listen to it
You are right, of course. But I donīt have much hope concerning the songs I mentioned, because I know them for quite a while and have listened to them a lot. Some of the versions are better than the original Websongs, but still none is so different, that you canīt recognize it.
If I didnīt get to like them in the past two years, then I donīt suddenly start to like them, just because they are in stereo and slightly changed.

I didnīt mention any of the real new songs as disappointing, because in these cases I really need more time to listen to them, to come to a final decision. And there I can start to like songs, which I didnīt like at first. This has happened often before.

But somehow this big Alphaville "magic" is missing for me, when I listen through this album. Just as a short example, take the song "Carry your flag". This is one of my favourites off Dreamscapes and it is a fantastic song.
Now it is also on Crazyshow, in another version, a slightly better sound quality.... so what?? Itīs nice to hear it again, but itīs nothing fascinating about it. The same counts for another SLAM remix, For the sake of love (instrumental).... Itīs a kind of "Nice - but not more"-feeling and this happens to often for me, while listening through Crazyshow.

I know, this sounds more negative than I actually mean it. But the point is, that from the other AV albums I like more or less all songs (with a few exceptions) and this isnīt the case at all this time.
If they just had released a double CD (one CD new songs - one bonus CD with some remixed Websongs + extra stuff) it would be a much better album.
But as it is now there sure is music for everybodyīs taste on it and that is also not so bad. They... sorry, he just didnīt hit my taste 100% this time and that is okay.
rolandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2003, 14:25   #6
klay7
Dreamer

the year is 2003 and it sounds as if alphaville have moved with the times it sounds like you were just wanting 4cds of there 80s hits. i havent received my box yet but i will love this box set as much as anything they have ever done alphaville just keep getting better all the time ,idont think marian after 3-5 years would release anything that he isnt happy with or anything that the fans wouldnt like,alphaville are a very very special thing in this world lets keep supporting them always
klay7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2003, 15:32   #7
Adiville
big in japan

Lovely words, Klay7 !
Welcome to the forum

"Ok Adi, this song is for you..." Freiberg 13.8.2005
Adiville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2003, 16:37   #8
Tavern
Dreamer

Sorry klay7, you are totally missing the point.
I defenitively donīt wait for "new old stuff".

I think that Iīm one of the few who liked the "everyoneīs darling" FY-album much less than more experimental stuff like Prostitute and Breathtaking Blue. I enjoyed Salvation as well, but less, just because this sounded like a return to the 80s. Please tell me: How can you deduct that Iīm against innovation in AV-music just because Iīm disappointed with an album?

Additionally: For now half of my life Iīm supporting Alphaville. I was part of the faithful AV-community in the early 90s when almost nobody else (except some very nice persons from Germany, Italy and Scandinavia) wanted to know anything about AV. I partied with them, I kinda grew with them. So you can believe me, AV is a matter of heart for me.
Do you really think that Marian Gold doesnīt want his fans to speak critically about his songs?
Old 05 Mar 2003, 13:02   #9
klay7
Dreamer

hello tavern,i wasnt saying you just wait for new old stuff what i meant was that you might prefer the more upbeat catchy songs that they did alot more of in the 80s and if alot of the new stuff isnt like this that might be why your not as keen.but if you prefer prostitute and breathtaking blue (the same as me)then i was wrong.is it possible for you to say what kind of style some of the new songs are like and why i may or may not like them,thank you
klay7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2003, 14:51   #10
Tavern
Dreamer

Hi Klay7,
it is hardly to denote a certain style to describe the CS-songs since the style varies a lot on the four discs.
In the past there hasnīt been any album (I can almost say: any song), independently from its style, that I didnīt like, just because I always found something of AVīs genius in it. Sometimes it has been the melody, sometimes the lyrics, sometimes the arrangement, sometimes the atmosphere, sometimes the innovation, sometimes all.
And this is now my point: a significant number of CS-songs do not mediate this AV-genius, this unique feeling (to me). Especially the melodies and lyrics disappoint me. They could have been written by other artists as well, and this I never dared to say about any song from any album before.
To come back to the beginning: the CS-songs I like fewest are very different, so for me this is less a question of style than of good ideas. But, to say it again: these are only my 2 cents, for other people Crazyshow will be the crown of creation either because the really love the tunes or simply because itīs Alphaville.

Sorry for this "novelette", have a nice week!