Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville Discussion

Old 13 Nov 2000, 22:37   #1
wii
Dream Master

Do Alphaville still exist ?

Why do I always get this question ? I really have a hard time answering this. Iīve met many people through the years and specially after listening closely to the new stuff, that say: "wow, this is really good, how come they never play this on the radio?". I usually tell them that Alphaville has not been promoted well by their former record company WEA, but is that the whole thruth or are we just a few fans scattered around the world? Itīs hard to say, but one thing for sure - Alphaville deserves to be known by the commen men/women - itīs honestly and truly worth it !

wii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2000, 23:13   #2
Adiville
big in japan

they werent well promoted or they didnt want to be promoted...?
believe me, when you see 2,500 people gathering in one hall for a concert or when you see all the sites and the groups on the internet - all that for 80's band - you understand that they are special and that they ARE forever young and will stay forever in their fans's hearts !

@ville - forever and ever.
Adiville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2000, 06:05   #3
poul e
Dream Keeper

Like I wrote in another "column" I think that one of the reasons (unfortunately) that Alphaville are "forgotten" is that they don´t have the looks of Take That, Westlife etc. You could also say Duran Duran and A-ha. And the poor management is certainly a big factor. I think that for many fans something went wrong after "The Breathtaking Blue" was released. The album didn´t contain as catchy pop songs as "BIJ", "FY", "SLAM", "DWM" or "UD", and after that album the a lot of people never heard of them again. I myself thought that they broke up, until I saw "Prostitute" in the shops. And after that it was "quiet" again for a couple of years until I began surfing the internet. And that´s where we are now. If I hadn´t been surfing I would have never got "Dreamscapes", "Flame" etc.

Poul E.

poul e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2000, 20:59   #4
lassie
Dreamer

I also wondered why AV seemed to disappear somehow after The Breathtaking Blue ... I was sad about it when nothing seemed to be released anymore .. And yes ... I did ask at the record store if there anything new. But time and time again ... nothing could be ordered, so they must have dies as a band.
Well, how lucky i was to discover a few years back that they were still there ! And HOW !!!!

lassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2000, 14:04   #5
buttman
Mr. Olek

Yeah, do they? I don't want to spread any BAD rumours, but facts speak for themselves. What have we got here:
1) Marian is going to write a new material in Italy. He is. Nobody mentioned Bernhard. Does it mean that Marian will compose everything, write lyrics and Bernhard will only have to put it into the computer? Nah, Marian also can do this. So - what's Bernhard's part?
2) Bernhard is working hard in the studio. Yeah. But on Atlantic Popes project. I don't think it deals in ANY way with Alphaville
3) I noticed Martin Lister is much more involved in Alphaville than Bernhard, isn't it quite strange?
4) ...not to mention Bernhard's absence on concerts

I think we have here a situation where Marian can say: 'I am Alphaville'. Can Bernhard record new material without Marian and call it Alphaville? No - nobody will buy Alphaville without Marian's voice. And can Marian do the same? Yes! I bet you wouldn't even notice Bernhard's absence. This situation worries me a lot.

I would LOVE to see credits to the new DS9 songs. I think we all could be very surprised. I hope that it's just my sick imagination.

buttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2000, 18:44   #6
Adiville
big in japan

it is official that Marian and Bernd are working on the next studio album (not DS9) together.
we all thought that Bernd has left AV a few moths ago but he hasnt.
he and Marian gave a statement that they are still partners and that AV still exists.

Old 20 Nov 2000, 18:46   #7
Adiville
big in japan

one more thing :
did anyone say something when Marian worked on his solo albums...?

Old 21 Nov 2000, 21:15   #8
poul e
Dream Keeper

Hi Olek

I haven´t thought about it before you mentioned it, but you could have a point there. Let´s hope not!

There have been so many changes in the history of Alphaville (Frank Mertens, Ricky Echolette and recently manager K.P.). Let´s not hope we "loose" Bernhard also!!!!

poul e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2000, 21:30   #9
Adiville
big in japan

whats wrong with you people?
hoping for the best but expecting the worst... :-(
Adi.