Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville Cover Versions

Old 26 Feb 2004, 17:01   #21
wii
Dream Master

Believe it or not, I finally received We Heard the Call (thanks Jocke), listening to it right now. Of course I´ve heard everything before, but not really in depth....exciting stuff.
wii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2004, 21:35   #22
Adiville
big in japan

I've heard it from inside out, upside down - 4 years ago....
Very cool

"Ok Adi, this song is for you..." Freiberg 13.8.2005
Adiville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2004, 23:20   #23
Avil
The dream

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wii

Believe it or not, I finally received We Heard the Call (thanks Jocke), listening to it right now. Of course I´ve heard everything before, but not really in depth....exciting stuff.
Hahaha, better late than never!
Avil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2004, 19:15   #24
wii
Dream Master

My top 5 list of "We Heard the Call"

1. nautilus - iron john

this is by far my favorite, very professional sound, best sound quality and artistic very well made.

2. go - soul messiah

very upbeat and with a very sweet female voice, which matched the sound perfectly.

3. paula pesscoa & oren amram - jerusalem

a lot like above - great voice also.

4. antilles - jerusalem

great instrumental version by david - he knows how to handle the synth sound, although his version of big in japan version from the intro is even better.

5. artwork - life is king

really cool synths, specially the intro is much better than the original - i would prefer that only maria sang though (sorry staffan ).

A note:

Stefan hacks version of flame has a great great piano, sad that his voice doesn´t match at all, could be among the best.

Conclusion:

Every AV fan should buy this CD !!!!
wii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2004, 02:27   #25
Adiville
big in japan

GO! is also Oren Amram
Glad to see that you like his works.
He is an amaizing DJ. Just got back from one of his parties.

"Ok Adi, this song is for you..." Freiberg 13.8.2005
Adiville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2008, 20:45   #26
jetset
Dreamer

Where can we get the other AV songs from Artwork ? is there any CD available (live and/or studio) ?

jetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2008, 17:23   #27
Krapplund
Dream Keeper
www.krapplund.com

I did found this rewiev:

VARIOUS ARTISTS
WE HEARD THE CALL
COMPILATION DOUBLE ALBUM EARTHBOUND RELEASE: DECEMBER 12, 2000 REVIEW: FEBRUARY 23, 2001

Back in 1984, Alphaville released their first album "Forever Young", and I immediately fell in love with it. I was 13 years old and had just discovered the synthesizer-based music. Bands like Depeche Mode, Kraftwerk, Yazoo, Duran Duran - and Alphaville formed a new musical revolution in Europe after the great punk-wave of the late 70's and early 80's. Experimental electronic pop music took a new shape and suddenly appealed to the masses.
"Forever Young" was packed with sparkling radio hits like "Big in Japan", "Sounds Like a Melody", "Forever Young" and the ironic "Jet Set". Alphaville climbed the charts and the future looked promising. Unfortunately, they didn't manage to repeat the success of the first album. The second album "Afternoons in Utopia" were only a mediocre follow-up and my, and most people's, interest in Alphaville took a quick ending.
That was then, this is now. "We Heard the Call" is a compilation from no less than 34 artists and fans. The interpretations are of very varied style and mood, and the music has been contributed from many parts of the world. A fantastic project for a band well worth a tribute! If it hadn't been for the poor quality of most of the songs...
I am aware of that this is mainly a fan project and I respect that. Therefore, I am sorry to have to say this; "We Heard the Call" may very well be the worst tribute album ever made. The interpretations are boring, the sound is poor, the vocalists' are bad and the lyrics wrong in many of the songs. The album is low quality with only a few exceptions.
One of the two songs worth mentioning are Americans Third Option & the Outsider with their version of "Ain´t It Strange". They manage to deliver a very direct and atypical version of the song. The second are Germans Clara Braun Connection feat Strukoff. They interpret "Sounds Like a Melody" in a very attractive way with great vocals in a mellow melody. The other 32 songs on the album does not bring me any new or different perspectives concerning the music of Alphaville, and it's highly unlikely that I will ever listen to it again.
I'd rather live with my memories from the 80's. A time when Alphaville were the greatest and Nena was the love of my life.

ANDERS WIIK

http://www.releasemagazine.net/Onrecord/orwhtc.htm

"Alphaville ohne Bernhard ist wie eine Apfelstrudel ohne apfel"
17'04'2003
www.krapplund.com
Krapplund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2008, 21:55   #28
Mateusz
Banned

heh... where i can to listen them? ( i mean this Tribute... from 2000) or buy?
Last edited by Mateusz; 28 Nov 2008 at 23:52. Reason: or buy
Mateusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2008, 20:04   #29
jetset
Dreamer

Well, I don't care about this negative paper, I still enjoy listening to this fans' album. Many talented people were involved, and the CD-box would even deserved some additionnal tracks, like the Jerusalem night version (Paula pessoa & Oren amram), Golden Feeling (Defence Of Rage), Artwork performances (Point Of Known Return, In The Mood...). Maybe for a WHTC II ?

Last edited by jetset; 12 Dec 2008 at 20:08.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 19:36   #30
jetset
Dreamer

By the way, I always wondered what Marian and Bernhard thought about those covers...