Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville News

Old 10 Apr 2017, 00:00   #1261
Halfnelson
Waiter

Unfortunatly this post doesn't seem to be online anymore. It was this photo:
http://www.alphavillenow.com/post/8908919599
but 'altered' in some ways.

Maybe if somebody is ok with that, I could post it here ... (in a reduced resolution maybe).
Halfnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2017, 00:07   #1262
stardustdawn
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfnelson View Post
Unfortunatly this post doesn't seem to be online anymore. It was this photo:
http://www.alphavillenow.com/post/8908919599
but 'altered' in some ways.

Maybe if somebody is ok with that, I could post it here ... (in a reduced resolution maybe).

Thank you for the information!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The future exists, first in Imagination, then in Will, then in Reality.
stardustdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2017, 05:48   #1263
shapeseven
Astral Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo72 View Post
hi, can anyone confirm that the vinyl version is a double or single album? amazon.co.uk lists the album as 1 disc only. this is a bit confusing. im looking for the one with the bonus tracks.

here is the link, but it doesnt even have a track listing!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strange-Att...1774369&sr=1-1

The vinyl is only available as double album - there should be no single disc edition
shapeseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2017, 06:41   #1264
Foolship1077
Travelling Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole View Post
It was definitely a great surprise! I'm wondering though how the album possibly was available for us as well on the release date but Heartbreak City music video still can't be viewed in the US. Different copyrights I assume?
Ooh, good question! Someone's got some explanations to give where that's concerned.

Hello, my friend...
Foolship1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2017, 12:38   #1265
spacetourist_2010
Dreamer

As for the versions on the LP:

MAFIA ISLAND
Starts with Marian’s solo vocals with the music slowly fading in. Quite atmospheric, with that Lana del Rey vibe. No mandolin part. Quite interesting.

HEARTBREAK CITY
Completely different song. No high vocals in the verses, but also different chorus (melody-wise, that is). Very harmless average radio pop (drums, guitars – say hello to a-ha), nothing special. The official album and video version is much more danceable and more powerful (especially the chorus) – and closer to “classic Alphaville”.

A HANDFUL OF DARKNESS
Alternative version, still a beautiful song but not as solemn as the version we know from Prague or the album now. A pop music approach to the song. No synth lines in the introductory part, and no children’s choir, either, and it features a classical fading-out. Still a great song. IMHO, the better version, though, is on the regular album.

AROUND THE UNIVERSE
“Classic” Alphaville (warm pad sounds introducing and underlying this version, build-up reminiscent of "Forever Young" or "Flame") but drums (coming in with the beginning of the second verse) are a bit poor. Far superior to the fourth track on the regular album, though still not as good as the song that we all know from the live shows from 2004 onwards (I would like to know if the band have a live recording from those days). But from the two versions that have finally made it onto records, this bonus version is by far the better one. A pity it is not available on CD or as a download.

Anyway, even if you haven’t got a record player and therefore cannot listen to the four extra tracks, the vinyl is well worth having as a piece of art — it just looks and “feels” amazing.
@emo72: As Tobias has already said, it is a double album, gatefold cover, with side B2 solely consisting of the four additional tracks.

Last edited by spacetourist_2010; 10 Apr 2017 at 12:46.
spacetourist_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2017, 19:05   #1266
jetset
Dreamer

Despites its title, we found out that the masterpiece Beyond The Laughing Sky is more inspired by Pink Floyd than Alice in Wonderland.

The album also alludes to the English rock band at some point, but where?

The first right answer gets a snippet of a recording of Marian in studio

jetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2017, 21:08   #1267
humanracer
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetourist_2010 View Post
As for the versions on the LP:

MAFIA ISLAND
Starts with Marian’s solo vocals with the music slowly fading in. Quite atmospheric, with that Lana del Rey vibe. No mandolin part. Quite interesting.

HEARTBREAK CITY
Completely different song. No high vocals in the verses, but also different chorus (melody-wise, that is). Very harmless average radio pop (drums, guitars – say hello to a-ha), nothing special. The official album and video version is much more danceable and more powerful (especially the chorus) – and closer to “classic Alphaville”.

A HANDFUL OF DARKNESS
Alternative version, still a beautiful song but not as solemn as the version we know from Prague or the album now. A pop music approach to the song. No synth lines in the introductory part, and no children’s choir, either, and it features a classical fading-out. Still a great song. IMHO, the better version, though, is on the regular album.

AROUND THE UNIVERSE
“Classic” Alphaville (warm pad sounds introducing and underlying this version, build-up reminiscent of "Forever Young" or "Flame") but drums (coming in with the beginning of the second verse) are a bit poor. Far superior to the fourth track on the regular album, though still not as good as the song that we all know from the live shows from 2004 onwards (I would like to know if the band have a live recording from those days). But from the two versions that have finally made it onto records, this bonus version is by far the better one. A pity it is not available on CD or as a download.

Anyway, even if you haven’t got a record player and therefore cannot listen to the four extra tracks, the vinyl is well worth having as a piece of art — it just looks and “feels” amazing.
@emo72: As Tobias has already said, it is a double album, gatefold cover, with side B2 solely consisting of the four additional tracks.

thanks for the review. I am sure I will hear them eventually.
humanracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2017, 23:38   #1268
Mags
Moonshine

Waving... miss everyone :). So far nothing much to add , only that SA has been on repeat in my kitchen CD player since it came home on Friday...love lots of this album! Especially Around the Universe....seemed somehow so fitting when I'd just moved to Berlin. Now 13 years have passed.... .wow does it take me back! Life was both much more difficult but also much simpler in those days...

Open your eyes and let the sun break in for a while...there may be something that you've never seen inside...
Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2017, 01:48   #1269
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

I'm gonna buy both the MP3 AND CD editions off of Amazon when I get the money to do so. I've heard some of the tracks on Alphaville's auto-generated YouTube page and it's a 10/10 from me.
MarianGoldfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2017, 17:56   #1270
hajak
Exclusive Fanclub Member

Got my CD yesterday finally,only listened to it twice.

I see that some of you Think its the best AV has done but its not but there are some great songs here.
I will post my Review here in the end of the week(have to listen to it atleast 10 times to be able to write a fair Review)
hajak is offline   Reply With Quote