Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Members Corner > General Conversation

Old 28 May 2004, 22:38   #271
Adiville
big in japan

@SlowDreamer : I agree. Loved your 3D theory
but i didnt like the movie. I guess im a realistic person (who also love movies like X-MEN and VAN HELSING... and i needed the story to get to a certain point but that point wasnt there...
Thanks for the discussion anyway

"Ok Adi, this song is for you..." Freiberg 13.8.2005
Adiville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2004, 07:42   #272
SlowDreamer
Dreamer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MalilaM
About Adaptation, I don't think that the "biographic" data have anything to add to the movie...
I agree ...
Quote:
quote:
To me, that movie, more than being only the story of someone trying to adapt a book for the cinema, is a glimpse on the many faces of failure and emptiness, no matter if you've been a successful newbie in Hollywood (frightened by your own success), a recognized journalist or just a scoundrel.
I also saw another meaning of adaptation - how to adapt to a change, to a new state of mind, world ... in the movie there are two such adaptations: one successful (Cage) and one unsuccessful ( Streep). They are both intellectuals, bombarded with great amount of informations, trying to find the meaning, sense of it all ... She tried to find it in orchide and she failed - becuse orchid is something outside us, it doesn't belong to us, that's why everyone who uses it is an "orchid thief".
Cage succeeded because the adaptation came from inside himself ( just like that professor told him: "the change must come from inside"). I think it happened when his brother died and told him about that girls laughing at him and how it is important what we feel , not how much we get in return ( orchid gives totaly opposite thing)

@alpha-x : Thank you ,too, for discussion ! I enjoyed it!
SlowDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2004, 09:58   #273
FallenAngel
Some Kind Of Angel

I saw some publicity for a movie called "The day after tomorrow".

Does someone knows something about this movie? Is it good?

You can do just what you wanna
You can kill or you can die
Be a beggar or a princess
But you'll never lose your style
Ephemere - Fallen Angel

FallenAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2004, 10:56   #274
Pronnmo
Dreamer

Just another end of the world movies Hollywood likes to do. Nice special effects, lousy script, poor actors from what I've heard. Hollywood in a nutshell.

:|^|:..and if rain brings winds of change, let it rain on us forever..:|^|:
Pronnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2004, 11:11   #275
Kaz
Her...

Going to see the new Harry Potter on Thursday. Not sure what to think of it so far.

Before you judge me, make sure you're perfect.
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2004, 14:34   #276
russharvey
Dream Keeper

My wife saw Day After Tommorrow and she hated it.... lots of good effects, but they were so busy making a political statement that they basically left out all reality and plausability - many scenes were unrealistic and the characters were not believable.

Over the weekend my wife and I saw Shrek 2 and Troy. Shrek 2 was really good - especially for an animated sequel (most of which don't make it to the theater, only released on DVD) and all the voices are back with a few new ones that are quite funny! Fun times on this one.

Troy was an epic, although as was mentioned earlier, they don't focus on Helen being the most beautiful woman in the world (because the actress wasn't), the siege doesn't seem to take but a few days, Achilles gets to kill Hector and drag him around the city (really was Agememnon), some woman kills Agamemnon instead of his wife, and Achilles didn't die that way, but I understand why Hollywood does these things to make a movie that all will enjoy. Most people have never read Homer anyway, so it wasn't like making the LOTR trilogy where many many people have read the books and you have less artistic freedom to change the script - all in all it was a good movie, but definately not the best movie of the year.

Now waiting to watch the new Harry Potter and Spiderman 2 which almost looks better than the first!

***This life is expensive, but at least it comes with a free trip around the sun!***
russharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2004, 19:59   #277
MalilaM
Random Motion

@SlowDreamer: Thanks for sharing your view... I agree on that interpretation too... a very emotional side of the story that I neglected.

My grandmother is going to take me to see Troy and The Day After Tomorrow... she already made me see Kill Bill and Van Helsing (I'm glad to share that complicity with her) [smile2]

I must be going crazy or the brandy's won the race 32
MalilaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2004, 20:02   #278
wii
Dream Master

Helen in Troy was absolutely beautiful ! I liked the movie, not as good as others in the same genre though.
wii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2004, 12:17   #279
Adiville
big in japan

Saw HELLBOY last night. I enjoyed it but its only for people who like stuff like BUFFY and X-MEN
I mean, my boyfriend and i love that kind of movies and we're 22 but there were a few younger kids there who thought it was really stupid...

"Ok Adi, this song is for you..." Freiberg 13.8.2005
Adiville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2004, 16:16   #280
russharvey
Dream Keeper

true Adi... those who enjoyed Hellboy the comic book would enjoy it but how many teenagers are into comic books right now?

***This life is expensive, but at least it comes with a free trip around the sun!***
russharvey is offline   Reply With Quote