Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Other Artists > Other Artists

Old 13 Jan 2003, 23:54   #1
Avil
The dream

EBM/Futurepop/Industrial

Iīve been a member here for a long time, and I canīt remember anyone that has said that they are into harder and darker synth like EBM/Futurepop/Industrial,and also modern synth.
This is an important part of the whole electronic and I love it.
Bands like Funker Vogt, Icon of Coil, Hocico, Das Ich, Run level zero, vnv nation, malaise, wumpscut, covenant, apoptygma berzerk, suicide commando and front 242 (even though I donīt like the last band too much) arenīt mentioned too much here, only vnv nation.
(These belong to the darker/futurepop section)

Also, modern synthpop bands/artists like Brand new idol, dust of basement, seven words, sweep, the nine, wolfsheim. Have heard people mention and one and melotron a couple of times.

I LOVE this kinda music, now lately, especially the EBM/futurepop bands. (not digging into the genres too deep). Funker vogt is my new darlings. So what do you think??
I could make the list of bands so much longer...

Anyone like anything of this? Or is it just...80īs bands, bands with an 80īs sound...or...plain synthpop bands?

Christina
Avil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2003, 15:49   #2
Jonatan
Arranged in White

There is too much 80's music here so this is a good topic!
I can say that I have one foot into EBM/Futurepop but not both of them.
I like bands like VNV Nation, Covenant and Apoptygma but I don't care much about most of the other bands. I think the progression from EBM to Futurepop is very understandable. The old school EBM often had distorted screaming vocals which made the songs totally unlistenable. Futurepop is basically a mixture between EBM and trance with "real" vocals.

But I'm more fond of the darker and romantic side of synth music. The German darkwave scene features many of my favourite bands...Wolfsheim, L'âme Immortelle, 18 Summers, Absurd Minds and many others. I don't like the amercian synthpop. There is just too much 'blip blop' in it.

BTW: I've heard people saying that Funker Vogt has a big following of neo nazis. I don't know if it's true. (I'm not saying you're a nazi Avil, don't get me wrong ;))

Take care
Jonatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2003, 20:32   #3
Avil
The dream

I would say that I have both my feet into the dark synth world.
Old school EBM or whatever you wanna call it, itīs not as usual anymore. Newer EBM got good vocals (no screaming), a hard beat and some nice synthparts. Futurepop on the other hand is a mixture between EBM, synth and trance. It got a lighter but still hard bass, lighter synthparts and a little melody. But the difference between the vocals of EBM and of futurepop isnīt big.
Now I donīt wanna get all mixed up in genres though.
Funker Vogt rules my world, no matter if nazis listen to them.

Jonatan, if you think itīs too much "blip blop" then I guess you havenīt heard much american synth/synthpop at all.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 21:14   #4
Jonatan
Arranged in White

Believe me - I have listened to A LOT of different American synthpop. The problem with it is that they are years behind Europe in the "synth evolution". It's like a big 80's revival and the songs are often poorly produced. Someone once said that American synthpop sounds like bad remixes of European songs.
However, I do understand that the U.S. scene is still quite small and most of the bands work on a hobby-basis. There is one big exception as I see it. Anything Box was a fantastic band before but they are not that good anymore. It's not a surprise that the best A Different Drum-band (Neuropa) is from Australia. I have high expectations for the new Iris album though.

Take care
Jonatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2003, 18:40   #5
Dingerz
Dreamer

Oh god, I've been into oEBM/futurepop/industrial for years, probably since 1996. I do love a lot of the artists a ton but some of that genre do put too much energy in trying to sound like they are out of the 80's which I hate. I hate those bands that use plinky ploinky sounds to replicate an outdated sound. I like evolution, and so the bands I tend to like are the ones who yes, are using synths, but who are searching for a new sound.

Also a note about the bad production on a lot of the bands in the genre - unfortunately it has a lot to do with cash available. Many are in this new genre and don't either have the cash or the experience to sound professional. But that is why I like the genre - you can keep your eyes out and watch them grow. Look at someone like Wolfsheim for example. Their earlier albums are good but still very amateur. Then you get the proper production on Spectators and boom! They sound terriffic! I can't wait for their next one. They are one of the last to not put out an album after a very successful one.

Tara :)

Have concert? Will travel!
Dingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2003, 06:29   #6
simpledumbpilot
Dreamer

Wow, just seen this thread!

How is it possible to mention these genres without mentioning 'Skinny Puppy'??????

or even 'Cabaret Voltaire'????????

I can remember buying my first 'Ministry' album back in 1984 ('Work For Love')! I think I would have had a seizure if I hadnt grown accustommed to guitars by the time of their seminal ''Land of Rape and Honey''! Now thats EBM with knobs on! It turned the whole genre upside down, unfortunately it was also a signicant nail in its coffin, much like Nirvana's Nevermind was to the Seattle scene, at least Mudhoney are making vital music again tho, altho it took them 8 years to do it again, anyway, I digress. Theres been some great EBM over the years, faves for me are / were 'Thrill Kill Cult', 'Front Line Assembly', the aforementioned 'Skinny Puppy' and of course 'K.M.F.D.M.', altho its impossible to end this thread without a huge shout out to 'Big Black', buy 'Kerosene' by them, I will never forget behaving like a luntic in clubs to that song.

\'\'Oh no, where did the groove go?\'\'
simpledumbpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2003, 19:51   #7
Avil
The dream

I guess the main reason for not mentioning thosea artists is because I donīt like them too much, and didnīt think of them at all. Skinny Puppy arenīt good at all. They make music without any soul in it...just..nothing.

Iīm sitting here listening to Icon of Coil, I love this band, they must be one of the best live acts Iīve seen. www.iconofcoil.us
Check them out. And you know what? They arenīt too ugly either. Yummy!! I love to watch them,..to hear them.
great band!
Old 23 Jan 2003, 01:44   #8
Dingerz
Dreamer

Skinny Puppy and other acts as Ministry and NItzer Ebb are from the past generation so a lot of newer fans would not know them/like them.

I do appreciate the older bands but I find them too well.. The lyrics are just silly or they don't usually mean much. I think the newer bands of this genre are doing a much better job in the lyrics department. They got that from the era of bands like well, alphaville, DM, new order, etc. Nowadays this genre is more harsh beat wise yes, but they have synthesized the more lyrical/melodic aspects of the 80's electronic generation.

The very FIRST industrial acts were just pure noise.. It is amazing anyoen ever listened to it. I am glad the genre has finally evolved.

Tara :)
...although I do think Icon of Coil are the most overhyped EBM act right now. I could never get into them. I find them too repetitive, too monotonous. Their remixing is good though. But that's what it is all about - to each one's own!

Have concert? Will travel!
Dingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2004, 03:45   #9
dayve
Dreamer

I've been a Front 242 fan since 1990 and in fact had I not borrowed my friends Nine Inch Nails "Pretty Hate Machine" cd the same day I borrowed Front 242 "Front By Front" I can honestly say I'd probably be a bigger Front 242 fan, but as luck would have it, Nine Inch Nails floored me and I've been hooked ever since.

I have also been really digging VNV Nation, Icon Of Coil, Project Pitchfork, Assemblage 23, Covenant, Tankt, and many others.

and on a final note, Skinny Puppy rules! I know they are an acquired taste, but they really are pioneers as it relates to certain types of music that we listen to today.
dayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2004, 23:10   #10
Avil
The dream

Actually, I'm not verh into 242, Skinny Puppy or NIN, even though people see them as the founders of the genre EBM. I just don't know, but there is something in their music...

But VNV, IOC, Project P, A 23 and Covenant. Now we're talking music!!