Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville News

Old 10 Mar 2017, 10:20   #31
wii
Dream Master

Alphaville - Heartbreak City short review:

Is this Alphaville?

Except for the voice I can't hear many Alphaville elements in the sound, which doesn't sound like Alphaville at all. I don't like the high pitched voice that much, it doesn't show what Marian can do, and that's a pity for one of the best singers out there.

The sound is rough and very guitar based, no synths can be heard, nothing that I really notice.

The chorus is nice and the song would work well performed live, but overall I would give it 2 out of 5 points.

Sorry...

Last edited by wii; 10 Mar 2017 at 10:33.
wii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2017, 12:36   #32
The Dream
Dreamer

This song has the power!! Thank God it's not going to be CROG#2, but something new, different. It would be boring if a band was still making the same music without any experiments. Marian said it would be a less pop/synth album, but more guitar sound. This time he has kept his promise :) I'm looking forward to April because it looks promising.
I understand some people find AV the synthpop band accompanying their first kiss or sth like that, but I'm glad the band is still evolving and changing. After 7 years full of waiting and uncertainty it's something amazing :) Keep going Alphaville, there is still future for you despite 30 years behind you :)
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2017, 13:26   #33
pekurovsky
Keeping On Dancing

Good song and solid choice for a single.
I like the high voice singing for its boldness and Bee Gees' curtsey.

Actually, falsetto is a great skill for any vocalist, it's a sign of excellence and universalism at singing. It shows just another side of a vocal talent. And I think we've already heard Marian performing with falsetto on other songs, fully or on some lines only, like CrazyShow, She Fades Away, countless backing voices and etc.

The song has a very modern and stylish production. It's catchy, powerful, unexpected and experimental. For me music is about development and not sitting on one point for tens of years. All in all for now I can't say how much do I like the song in an absolute scale but surely I like it many times better than anything I've heard on CROG.

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.
[jump1]
Last edited by pekurovsky; 10 Mar 2017 at 13:33.
pekurovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2017, 13:36   #34
russharvey
Dream Keeper

I have not heard it yet........ none of the youtube or vevo videos will play in America and it is not on US Amazon or Itunes yet.........

***This life is expensive, but at least it comes with a free trip around the sun!***
russharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2017, 13:46   #35
wii
Dream Master

Don't you have a streaming service, like Spotify or Tidal?

I use Tidal and the single is there

Quote:
Originally Posted by russharvey View Post
I have not heard it yet........ none of the youtube or vevo videos will play in America and it is not on US Amazon or Itunes yet.........
wii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2017, 13:48   #36
musicdb
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wii View Post
Alphaville - Heartbreak City short review:

Is this Alphaville?

Except for the voice I can't hear many Alphaville elements in the sound, which doesn't sound like Alphaville at all. I don't like the high pitched voice that much, it doesn't show what Marian can do, and that's a pity for one of the best singers out there.

The sound is rough and very guitar based, no synths can be heard, nothing that I really notice.

The chorus is nice and the song would work well performed live, but overall I would give it 2 out of 5 points.

Sorry...

Bad for you that you can't really love the song!

It's a fantastic new single....catchy, strange and for sure typically Alphaville!
Alphaville is not only the sound from the 80ties, but I am happy with the result and
it's good that we don't become a second CROG-sound!
I do for you today was a good song but nothing really Special for me!!!
This sound is much more creative and modern!
I am sure the album will be great and you will hear again more synths on it....lol...
musicdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2017, 13:49   #37
musicdb
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekurovsky View Post
Good song and solid choice for a single.
I like the high voice singing for its boldness and Bee Gees' curtsey.

Actually, falsetto is a great skill for any vocalist, it's a sign of excellence and universalism at singing. It shows just another side of a vocal talent. And I think we've already heard Marian performing with falsetto on other songs, fully or on some lines only, like CrazyShow, She Fades Away, countless backing voices and etc.

The song has a very modern and stylish production. It's catchy, powerful, unexpected and experimental. For me music is about development and not sitting on one point for tens of years. All in all for now I can't say how much do I like the song in an absolute scale but surely I like it many times better than anything I've heard on CROG.
you are absolutely right!
Old 10 Mar 2017, 13:54   #38
musicdb
Dreamer

Great new Song!!!

I really like this new single from Alphaville!

It's sound fresh, catchy and typically Alphaville too!

Good combination from new sound combined with the classic Alphaville!

I can't wait of the new Album!

Thank you Marian
Old 10 Mar 2017, 13:59   #39
shapeseven
Astral Buddy

Use the free opera vpn app on your mo Ike to fake being in Germany :-)
shapeseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2017, 14:07   #40
Streetside Romeo
Strange Attractor

Oh fuck - yes, yesss, YES! Alphaville are back for good - this song actually made me cry, because I was so overjoyed to see this awesome band back in proper shape: original, inventive, innovative and with no regards for clichés and the limits of genres. GREAT song, simply GREAT...songwriting, arrangements, production, all is champions league - and it's a truly ballsy choice for a single, too, proving that the artistic fire is still burning and has not been put out by commercial cravings. Love you, guys - keep on dancing, all you fools!!

I prefer to walk with my own feet
I prefer to dance to my own beat
I prefer to sing my own song
I prefer to live - do you wanna come along?
(Ephemere - Eternal Travelers pt. III)

NEW ALBUM RELEASED:
Check out my synth-rock band EPHEMERE's latest, the wonderfully synth-heavy LP "Hobos & Architects": www.ephemere.de
Streetside Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote