Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Dream Polls > Dream Polls

Poll: Should I close down The Dreamroom?
Poll Options
Should I close down The Dreamroom?

Old 25 Jul 2018, 08:50   #1
wii
Dream Master

10 Should I close down The Dreamroom?

To be honest, the activity of the forum has been decreasing rapidly lately

The statistics are clear since a few years after the arrival of Facebook. The amount of new posts and new members has never been as low as this year, but also looking back the last 10 years shows it clearly, people don't care that much anymore, so I'm considering closing it down, what do you think?

Please vote and post your comments below, thanks
wii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2018, 11:27   #2
hervelam
Dreamer

Hello!
Another forum killed by Facebook?
NO!
Please do resist!
Believe me, I've observed several times that Facebook does NOT connect fans as did forums or mailing lists or associations....
Even though interest has decreased (maybe), it is good that such places remain where fans can post from time to time, whenever they want.
Good night.
HervE
hervelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2018, 12:34   #3
hajak
Exclusive Fanclub Member

Well,I hope you dont(I vote no)I havent been so Active in the forum the last year but that is not because of FB
its the style of Music that is on SA that made me loose some interest in Alphaville,I sure hope they get"back on track"with the next album but who knows
Last edited by hajak; 25 Jul 2018 at 12:45.
hajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2018, 12:40   #4
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

I personally think if it costs too much to maintain and keep up, then yes, go for it. However, if you do decide to close down the forum, please give the option to download an archive of the threads since so much AV-related information will be lost if you do so without giving the option.

It's sad that the forum activity is decreasing tenfold... Many AV Facebook groups are online, yes, but I wish it wasn't this way. Having this forum was the way to go, but again, I"m sure it isn't cheap to host all of this data for very little activity.
MarianGoldfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2018, 16:26   #5
andrewbw
Dreamer

Ultimately, it's your decision since you're the one who has to pay in time and money to keep this place going, and I doubt anyone would fault you for making a decision in favor of your own needs. I doubt may of us die-hards are going to willingly vote, "sure, shut 'er down!" :)

That being said... This has been a pretty massive 12 months or so for Alphaville with the US tour, the Whisky-A-Go-Go shows, box set, etc. If none of that encouraged much in the way of growth or activity here, I doubt that's going to change at all in the future now that the band has returned to its normal pattern of playing the occasional festival gigs around Europe. And who knows when we might see another album.

So, up to you. Even though I only joined recently, I agree with MarianGoldfan123 that the value of Dreamroom is the incredible archive of past posts and information. I've spent a lot of time digging for trivia and other information in posts here from years ago, and it'd be sad to see that disappear. It's a huge resource for Alphaville fans, even if there's not much new activity.

Just my thoughts.
andrewbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2018, 18:22   #6
AtraOvis
Dreamer

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AtraOvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2018, 18:23   #7
AtraOvis
Dreamer

It is such a treasure!!!
AtraOvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2018, 19:10   #8
poul e
Dream Keeper

Is it possible to get a cheaper host?
With the decreased activity it should no longer be nescessary with a superfast forum.
I know that you want the forum to be smooth and clean Willy, but if the alternative is to close the forum completely then perhaps it could be an idea to use advertisements to keep the forum running???
poul e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2018, 21:21   #9
Halfnelson
Waiter

You won't be surprised I voted no. This forum is public-service!

But if you choose to close it down I concur with MarianGoldfan123 idea to have a download of all the public parts of the forum (at least AVNews & AVDisussion).

If again this is impossible please give us enough time in advance in order for us to save those threads manually.

Closing this forum would be the worst blow ever to AV community. Hoping this thread will generate enough money contributions to help you making the right choice!

Halfnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2018, 08:25   #10
wii
Dream Master

Yes, I'm considering all options, I just want to get thoughts about this, the low activity even in this thread says it all , but I won't decide anything in a while, don't worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by poul e View Post
Is it possible to get a cheaper host?
With the decreased activity it should no longer be nescessary with a superfast forum.
I know that you want the forum to be smooth and clean Willy, but if the alternative is to close the forum completely then perhaps it could be an idea to use advertisements to keep the forum running???
wii is offline   Reply With Quote