Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Other Artists > Other Artists

Old 10 Aug 2001, 08:11   #1
wii
Dream Master

New Order

Canīt believe this great band doesnīt have itīs own topic.

My favorite song is "touched by the hand of god". Itīs really cool synthpop.

wii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2001, 11:34   #2
frog
Dreamer

New Order are one of my all time favourites. It would be correct to say that they were amongst the few originators of New Wave and Synthpop music as we know it today (along with Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode and OMD).

Check out their new single 'Crystal', it's their first new single in 7 years, and it's great!
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2001, 02:28   #3
simpledumbpilot
Dreamer

New Order are one of the best bands to grace our planet.Sub-Culture is easily my fave New Order song,superb!
I was fortunate enough to witness their triumphamt return to the Liverpool Olympia a few weeks ago,they were amazing.Billy Corgan from the Smashiong Pumpkins has joined them on guitar now but to be honest i couldn't really see the point,he didn't really do much.There was an unknown guy at the back who seemed to be doing all the guitar work and a lot of the keyboards as well,Gillian is no longer there,probably had enough,i dont think she was ever that enthusiastic about it all anyway,as anyone who has seen the DVD will know.The new single Crystal is stunning and so are many of the other tracks on the new album 'Get Ready',Crystal gets its release this morning in the uk and i will doubtlessly be hammering down the door of my local record shop first thing to get my copy.I havent heard studio versions of the new album cuts yet but they did play quite a few of the tracks at the Olympia and its a much harder direction,doubtlessly due to Billy Corgans involvement.There was one track where Barney and Billy shared lead vocals and it really worked,i was reather sceptical about it all,but i do like Billy's voice.Its just a shame he wasnt involved with more of the guitar work at the show.The big down point of the gig was Blue Monday believe it or not.It was naturally their final song of the night and they just seemed like they couldn't be bothered with it,they played it really quietly and showed no enthusiasm for the song at all with Barney introducing it as 'f***ing Blue Monday coz im f***ing sick of it',even when it came round to Peter Hook's rather splendid bass moment he just went up to the mic and said 'i spose its my part now'.Still Blue Monday aside the show was stunning and i'm wondering if Depeche Mode can even slightly match that performance in october (judging by mode's set list i very much doubt it).
Well folks New Order are back and they're kicking ass.

Stu

simpledumbpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2001, 00:16   #4
Bernhard Lloyd
Bell II

just found this topic by chance...
yeah new order is great.
i will always remember the time when i still
played blue monday in the early eighties in the "forum enger"....when i was a DJ.
btw: AtlanticPopes was invited by an american record label to cover a New Order -song for a tribute album.
we will choose "ceremony"...i think that was one of their first singles...after the "joy division" time

+0:-)
http://www.atlanticpopes.de
everybody is a pope......
Bernhard Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2001, 16:26   #5
Avil
The dream

Well well, here it comes!
AP will do a NO-cover!
That was interesting to hear!
I heard NOīs latest song, donīt know itīs name, but it wasnīt good at all!

-I love you dangerously-
Avil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2001, 16:16   #6
simpledumbpilot
Dreamer

Bernhard,thats an interesting choice of New Order song to cover,it was in fact the first New Order single and was a left over from the Joy Division period.The song was written by the original JD line up of Curtis (GRHS)/Sumner/Hook/Morris,there is already a rather splendid cover version of this song by Galaxie 500 which is even rawer than the original,check out there box-set,its some of the rawest natural music ive ever heard.Galaxie 500 supported New Order in 1990 and Peter Hook taught Dean Wareham (vocals/guitar) how to play the song,so they done a cover version.
By the way,i finally got a promo of the new album 'Get Ready' and its stunning,the best album of the year so far,and thats not a biassed opinion as i do generally prefer Depeche Mode but 'Exciter' wasn't much to shout about,probably only about 4 or 5 really good songs on it,the rest just seemed like they were putting down anything Martin Gore could squeeze out,better luck next time DM.Do yourselves all a favour and buy 'Get ready' when it comes out on monday (27th august),you'll thank me in the end.

Old 26 Aug 2001, 21:46   #7
Bernhard Lloyd
Bell II

I will definitely do that!

when i first got this offer to do a cover....immediately "ceremony"came to my mind. ...but i didnīt know that it was a left over from joy division. but itīs obvious, it sounds a lot like joy division.
oh god was that a great time...ian curtis and his depressed voice...
absolutly outstanding.

+0:-)
http://www.atlanticpopes.de
everybody is a pope......
Bernhard Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2001, 04:06   #8
simpledumbpilot
Dreamer

Ahh,yes the Joy Division period was and still is superb.The sheer intensity of Ian Curtis' performances are truly something to behold,he genuinely felt the music and displayed levels of emotion that make many of todays artists look shallow.Fave JD song? Possibly She's Lost Control,incredible!!

Some more good news on the New Order front,theyve lined up some UK dates in october which im very much looking forward to,they will be playing Brixton Academy in London on october the 10th and 11th which i already have tickets for,the 11th is my birthday so that should be a special night out,they are also playing some other dates further up north but im afraid i will have to miss them as i already have tickets for Depeche Mode's shows.
has anybody else got the 'Get Ready' album yet? I t would be interesting to see if anybody else shares my enthusiasm for what could be the best ever New Order album,giving 'Brotherhood' a serious run for its money.

Stu

Old 09 Sep 2001, 09:57   #9
nineinchnailz
Dreamer

just downloaded a pre-release of the entire forthcoming album and it is great. although nothing compares to the remixes of Substance, I too have a deep appreciation for their music.

<center></center>
nineinchnailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2001, 02:39   #10
simpledumbpilot
Dreamer

Yes,Substance indeed!!! In my opinion Substance has to be the best compilation album ever,absolutely stunning.Everyone in the world should own a copy of this,i stil stand by my decision that Sub-Culture is their finest track but then ive been saying that for nearly 16 years now,superb!!!!