Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Members Corner > General Conversation

Old 18 Mar 2020, 03:43   #31
MalilaM
Random Motion

@Mark: Sorry to hear it's a tough time for you.
*big hug*

In Mexico it's advancing slow. We have fewer than 100 cases, and there are only 9 in the state where I live. The government is expecting the second stage to be declared next week. My closest people are all elderly and have risk conditions. Anxiety is killing me.

I must be going crazy or the brandy's won the race 32
MalilaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2020, 19:27   #32
Clare
Alphanut

Sorry that you're having all the worry Malila. *hugs, virtual ones*

It's worrying. My office is closing as people self isolate. I didn't know that one of my team has COPD. I could go with asthma but they'd make me take general council calls from home and that would be hellish. Really, I worked in call centres and it took me years to recover.

"I've had many sobering thoughts in my life....
....it was them what drove me to drink!" [drunk]

Grandad, Only Fools and Horses (UK sitcom)
Clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2020, 03:40   #33
MalilaM
Random Motion

Thank you, Clare! I hope everyone will be alright. I saw that the UK government changed strategies to some more conventional policies. *hugs back*

So, in the state where I live, we have plenty of students who came back from China, Spain, Italy and other countries just after the outbreaks. We have important foreign factories that have a lot of personnel from other countries continually travelling here and meeting with many people. All of them were already a threat and were closely scrutinized. But it was a wealthy family the one who could make this city a nightmare: they came back from skiing in the USA and hopped happily around restaurants, bars, friends and family homes, a gym... Their symptoms are mild, but it's pretty easy to foresee what this will be if some of the workers in the places they visited caught their virus. So far, there were 140 workers quarantined, but I doubt that's going to be enough to contain the outbreak.

Old 21 Mar 2020, 10:24   #34
Clare
Alphanut

Our office has been open to the public throughout. We've had no cleaning or protective supplies provided, we've had to buy our own and while we've not seen corona virus or covid 19 on a death certificate, we've seen clues on two of them. Great big obvious clues. Notifiable disease boxes and reporting to authorities. We've no protection other than the antibacterial (it's a virus!) wipes we've manged to get from almost empty supermarket shelves. Most of our marriages are now postponed. Talking to heartbroken couples who were due to marry in a few days is terrible.

My team are exhausted and abandoned by senior management. I've almost lost it with people coming in to the office to pay a bill that could have been paid over the phone. I don't say anything but my thoughts feel so loud.

I lost a friend this week. she died in the early hours of yesterday morning. Today would have been her 40th birthday. She leaves a husband and two young daughters. Tomorrow is mothers' day. (I daren't see mine). Carla was a friend from anti-Brexit demos. She lived in Luton. She had suffered repeated bouts of pneumonia and was diagnosed only last week with lung cancer. She posted an eloquent scream of fear from her hospital bed that she couldn't catch a break as she now had corona virus and was not expected to survive the night. She survived long enough to marry her partner then slipped into a coma. Her name is Carla and she was my friend. I need to say this as the press lump the suffering into a nameless mass. They may have "underlying health issues" but they are people, with children, spouses, friends, workmates. She has a name.

Old 21 Mar 2020, 23:04   #35
MalilaM
Random Motion

I'm sorry for your loss, Clare. *hug*
Coping with so many things can't be easy.
Stay safe and strong. <3

Old 22 Mar 2020, 19:10   #36
Clare
Alphanut

Thanks Malila. Today was mothers' day and I had to stay away from my parents. Thursday is my birthday. My 50th and I will be home alone. I can't risk passing the virus to Mum and Dad. I may never get it but I can still pass it as long as I meet other people.

Old 23 Mar 2020, 06:53   #37
MalilaM
Random Motion

It's horrible, but you're doing the right thing.

I'm horrified that some neighbour had a party yesterday and another one had a bigger one today. I hate them.

Old 23 Mar 2020, 17:01   #38
hajak
Exclusive Fanclub Member

I have been away from this site a long time(last logged in 20 march 2019)time travels fast.

I hope everyone is healthy and dont get Covid 19

Big hugs from me to you all in these tough times
Last edited by hajak; 23 Mar 2020 at 17:09.
hajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2020, 00:13   #39
MalilaM
Random Motion

Thanks, Hajak! You too, stay safe! :)

Old 25 Mar 2020, 00:47   #40
Mart
Dreamer

Ireland may have spiked. Over 1300 cases and 9 deceased R.I.P

That is a ratio of 1 in every 6000 people. If you consider the population of Ireland as 5 million people, it is a very high percentage.

I'm gliding in the distance and watch the world go by
An orbit full of questions, a perforated sky
Last edited by Mart; 25 Mar 2020 at 01:30.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote