Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville Discussion

Old 09 Jul 2009, 00:27   #1
Little Black Dog
Deputized Police Werewolf

Salvation: Apparent difference in 'US Version' (Metropolis)

Heyo!

I had a question for someone more knowledgeable about Alphaville's international marketing. I mentioned on the side in another post that I have the Metropolis Records version of Alphaville's 'Salvation'- apparently, as I've gathered, alternately known as the 'US Version'- and not, as I've seen everywhere else, the WEA version of Salvation (the greyhound and neon AV on the cover, and Mr. Lloyd and Mr. Gold sitting on the couches in the liner notes). The biggest difference I can see is that the US version has 3 extra tracks: a song called 'Life Is King' and two alternate mixes of 'Monkey In The Moon' and 'Wishful Thinking'. The 'international' WEA version is missing these three, ending after 'Pandora's Lullaby' (one of my favourite obscure AV tracks; completely different, orchestral and strings instead of synth and guitar). In no other case that I can recall was Alphaville ever associated with Metropolis, which AFAIK specializes in Gothic or ambient bands. (Yes, I posit that AV has those qualities here and there.)

My question is twofold (and thanks for putting up with the above extended introduction): 1) was there a particular reason Alphaville decided to release two versions of Salvation, and why was the apparently-less-common US version supplemented with the additional tracks I mentioned, and 2), I'd like to know which version/s my fellow Moonfolk have of their own.

Danke as always!

-LBD
Little Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2009, 14:47   #2
Krapplund
Dream Keeper
www.krapplund.com

1) The WEA version was released 1997 and the US version was released 1999, and I think they could release the US version easy in the US without any problems with WEA, and why someone other can tell you I think....

2) I have both versions

"Alphaville ohne Bernhard ist wie eine Apfelstrudel ohne apfel"
17'04'2003
www.krapplund.com
Krapplund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2009, 17:29   #3
tine85
Banned

Also, after the release of Salvation in 1997. A.v's Contract ended with wea, strangly thier american distribution deal ended in 1996, hence the album being distributed by Metropolis Records. I believe a different drum also put in tenders to distribute the album, but Metropolis have a larger network than add.
tine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2009, 12:05   #4
Humbert
Exclusive Fanclub Member

I have 2 versions too. Listen only to "US version" because i try to save the original WEA for my 3-year son's future music collection :)

Silence is golden,music is Gold
Humbert is offline   Reply With Quote