Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville News

Old 27 Apr 2017, 18:06   #1301
musicdb
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitation View Post
I think that the studio did not invest $ on the band and did everything formally for the release of the disk - nothing special in the booklet - all the photos are frames from the moments of the clip recording ... There were no bets on the album, but I think that in vain.

Yes, the sound of the album is not commercial at all, but for me and other people, who from my environment heard it - consider one of the best albums of the group ... oh, the same PR as CROG ... it would be a furort .. it's a pity that this album Did not see ...

Sorry for my bad english

Oh yes thats really true what you are writing!
musicdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2017, 12:15   #1302
Arjan
Dreamer

Hi all,

After several listens to Strange Attractor hereby my review and opinion on the vinyl bonustracks as well.

Overall
For me Strange Attractor is a very diverse album. Not only in style but also in likeability. Some songs I really dislike and have never heard anymore after the first listen. Other songs are great and the best AV has ever made.

The winners
Handfull of Darkness and Around the Universe are the best songs on SA in my opinion. Also the best in the AV repertoire together with Elegy, Afternoons in U, Lassie come home, The Flame and Fur Dich. Slow, full of emotion, a bit darker. Really addictive songs with many spins the past few weeks! I received SA together with the new Mike + Mechanics album and the new Steve Hackett. But based upon the number of repeats SA wins this contest and especially Handful & Around. Other great songs imo are Enigma and House of Ghosts.

The losers
I dont have anything with songs like: Giants, Marionettes, Sexyland, Rendezvoyeur, Nevermore and Fever. Nothing in it for my ears (I am sorry... ;-)). One listen only. Too poppy or funky, missing a real hook, without real emotion & depth.... Not for me, thats for sure.

The Bonus
Really pity that the bonus tracks are not released on cd for a broader audience. The bonus version of Around is a lot better than the regular cd version. This is the best song of the whole album!!! Also Heartbreak City and Mafia Island are a lot better and became likeable songs for me! Handfull is less succesfull. This is the only bonus song of which the regular version is better.

My conclusion
Seems that AV is looking for a new direction and are not sure what way to choose on SA. Personally I do not hope they will head for the way of the new funk & disco (Sexyland, Nevermore, Marionettes, Rendezvoyeur). If that will be the case I think I will lose the connection. On the other hand, if they continue the road with a style like Around, Handfull etc. I hope they will make a new album every year. But personally I fear that those songs are just a heritage from the past (with a great Martin Lister influence!!) and the new direction is the more funky approach (after the passing of Martin and with this new band). Maybe a final Dreamscapes with some left old songs and that would be it. But I really hope I am wrong on this!

At least this is my opinion. Wondering what other people think.

Regards,
Arjan
Arjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2017, 23:47   #1303
hajak
Exclusive Fanclub Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjan View Post

My conclusion
Seems that AV is looking for a new direction and are not sure what way to choose on SA. Personally I do not hope they will head for the way of the new funk & disco (Sexyland, Nevermore, Marionettes, Rendezvoyeur). If that will be the case I think I will lose the connection. On the other hand, if they continue the road with a style like Around, Handfull etc. I hope they will make a new album every year. But personally I fear that those songs are just a heritage from the past (with a great Martin Lister influence!!) and the new direction is the more funky approach (after the passing of Martin and with this new band). Maybe a final Dreamscapes with some left old songs and that would be it. But I really hope I am wrong on this!

At least this is my opinion. Wondering what other people think.

Regards,
Arjan
Well,I am scared that youre right
In my opinion SA has 3 Great songs(A Handful,Around and Beyond)which I will love forever but I dont care so much for the rest,overall SA is Disappointment for me with the new Rock and Funk style
that I Think destroyed many of the songs,This is not Alphaville Music for me.
I hope this was a "one album sound"and that AV get back to the pop and synthsound on the next album,if not and they continued with this Rockfunk I just have to face it that the"new"Alphaville is not for me

If AV like to get a modern great sound they could look at Mesh, they got better for each album and their last album"Looking Skyward"(2016)is in my opinion the best album in the last decade
hajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2017, 01:45   #1304
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

The first time I heard the SA songs, I didn't care for any of them. It is, however, starting to grow on me. I personally like the "new" feel that Marian's going with (or has went with since CROG, or arguably as early as CrazyShow) and it shows his mind is going elsewhere in terms of what he wants with the Alphaville name. It's evident when you hear the hundreds of songs he's made (both released and unreleased) as the first 2 albums had a similar feel, and then the third album came out and they were starting to experiment more with different types of sounds. Then when Salvation came out they decided to do a combo of what CROG is and their first album's distinct sound. Speed up to when CROG came out: Marian was really starting to show the direction in which he's taking the band in, and I'm all for it.
MarianGoldfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2017, 09:11   #1305
Kaz
Her...

I love SA and I think it typifies what Alphaville does best - what they want. Marian is not afraid to experiment and he knows full well that he can't please all of the people all of the time, but he is true to himself and his art. I feel this is the album he has always wanted to make. I hear harkbacks to SLC, AiU, Prostitute, CS also, but surely that is normal to build on and improve what has gone before? I hear influences / similarities from / to Jimi Hendrix, ELO, Talk Talk's "Spirit of Eden" phase - not sure on the Bee Gees one.

I totally love Beyond, Enigma, Handful, like Giants , Nevermore, Fever. The rest is listenable and will grow on me, I'm sure. Overall, much better than CROG and more like I would have expected from Marian. I'm happy with it.

Before you judge me, make sure you're perfect.
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2017, 10:45   #1306
jetset
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjan View Post

The Bonus
Really pity that the bonus tracks are not released on cd for a broader audience.
The reason is purely technical : storing over 74 min. on 1 CD is possible but risky.
CROG extended edition : 16 tracks for a total playing time of 66:17
SA extended edition : 17 tracks for a total playing time of 82:00

[...] attempts to combine double LPs onto one CD occasionally result[s] in the opposite situation in which the CD would instead offer fewer tracks than the LP.(Wiki)

jetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2017, 11:46   #1307
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

It'd be nice to see them offered as an additional purchase. The most logical thing I can think of is digitally... jetset made a great point.
Old 30 Apr 2017, 13:39   #1308
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

Why does Amazon US say that it'll be released "May 5th"?
Old 30 Apr 2017, 18:22   #1309
MalilaM
Random Motion

*rofl*
Because it was supposed to be available on April 14th, and then everything about a delivery date disappeared... after two weeks in limbo, now there is a new date announced at last.
I bought it on Amazon.mx and I still haven't received it.

On the bright side, this time I'm not biting my nails worried about it might have got lost in the mail.

I must be going crazy or the brandy's won the race 32
MalilaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2017, 04:43   #1310
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

Weird.. I bought 2 of the songs from the MP3 store (I'm buying the CD when it's available, and I only bought 2 of the songs so far since I bought a few other things (funnily enough, they're Alphaville-related) and didn't have the money to get the rest of them)