Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Other Artists > Other Artists

Old 11 Nov 2000, 07:02   #1
poul e
Dream Keeper

OMD (Orchestral Manoevres in the Dark)

Unfortunately a lot of the bands which I like the best don´t exist any longer (Hooters (maybe they will come back), Queen, DeFilm). Another, and one of my absolute favourites besides Alphaville is OMD. They have made so many classic pop songs without ever becoming really big (any parallels to Alphaville?). Songs include "Joan of Arc - Maid of Orleans", "Enola gay", "If you leave", "So in love", "Tesla girls", "Pandoras Box" and "Call my name".
In my opinion (unfortunately) I believe that if OMD and Alphaville have had the looks and management that Take That, Backstreet Boys etc has had then they would have been just as big (or even bigger).

What do you think?

Alphaville - forever young
OMD - talking loud and clear

Poul Erik Andersen

poul e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2000, 11:25   #2
@DDISON
French Te@m

YES I'm a very good fan of AV and OMD !!
I love electronic music of the 80's !!! (Cock robin too and Bruce WILLIS (the singer)!!)
great sensations !!!
@DDISON

@DDISON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2000, 22:30   #3
wii
Dream Master

I always liked OMD - listened to the entire Sugar Tax album today - great tracks all the way throughout the album.

Is there a solo album coming up with the singer ? I´ve read about that somewhere.

visit us at:
http://www.alphaville.org
wii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2000, 06:18   #4
poul e
Dream Keeper

Sugar Tax is a "solo act" as are "Universal" and "Liberator" because OMD split up some time after "The Pacific Age" (1986). Andy McCluskey went solo and kept the OMD name. A couple of years ago the word was that he stopped so I guess we will never get a new OMD album? But Paul Humphreys has helped on some OMD tracks since they split up and he is now working together with Claudia Brücken (Propaganda) on a new album. That´s what I heard.

A couple of months ago "The OMD Peel Sessions" was released and next year the record company will release an OMD "B-sides album" so they still want to earn some money on OMD! I haven´t got the "Peel Sessions" album as it is very hard to get here in Denmark, but hopefully sometime in the future I will?!

Old 20 Nov 2000, 10:17   #5
@DDISON
French Te@m

Yes SUGAR TAX is my favorite and LIBERATOR is great !!!
The name of my club (discotheque) was LIBERATOR !!!
It was a great experience......

@DDISON

@DDISON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2000, 13:07   #6
poul e
Dream Keeper

My favourite OMD album is also "Sugar Tax"! It´s actually among my favourite albums by all artists together with: Forever young, Afternoons . ., Prostitute, Substance (New Order), Out of body (Hooters) etc

Edited by - poul e on 20 Nov 2000 14:13:49
Old 27 Nov 2000, 11:58   #7
Avihai
Dreamer

It's a shame that great bands such as Alphaville or Camouflage are quite anonymous
whereas popular boys groups (e.g. backstreet
boys) with poor music abilities, take over.

Let me show you the world
in my eyes
Avihai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2000, 11:13   #8
poul e
Dream Keeper

Yeah it is. I am so happy that I am one of so few people that know of these great bands!!:)

Old 04 Jan 2001, 07:40   #9
rolandk
Exclusive Fanclub Member

OMD is my 2nd favourite band - besides Alphaville.

But why does everybody seem to like Sugar Tax?? It´s in my eyes one of the worst albums! I prefer the early stuff. My favourite albums are Architecture & Morality, Crush and Junk Culture. As you can see, I liked their music much better, before they split up in the late 80s. Just the last album Universal was a very fine piece of work again.

Concerning the rumours of a solo album of Andy McCluskey... I guess you´ve heard of the girl group, he is producing and writing songs for now, together with Stewart Kershaw. They released their first album in the end of 2000.

rolandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jan 2001, 09:30   #10
poul e
Dream Keeper

Roland K.: The girl band you are talking about is Atomic Kitten. I have heard a couple of their songs and I´m not impressed.

My second favourite OMD album is "Junk Culture" then "Pacific Age", "Architecture and morality" and "Liberator".

Edited by - poul e on 04 Jan 2001 13:22:36