Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Dream Polls > Dream Polls

Poll: Do you really want to live forever ?
Poll Options
Do you really want to live forever ?

Old 01 Jan 2013, 18:33   #31
Lena
Dreamer

Yes, singularity is presumably soon to come but the question is if some 20 years
(maybe more, maybe less) is a long time. Are you sure one and their loved ones will
live up to that great moment? Yes, the majority of people just suppress contemplations
about their death, but still anything may happen to anybody at any time, isn’t it,
one can simply die or his loved one can die during that time (any time).

Then you haven’t time to wait for singularity to come and there are only two things
possible before 2030-s – to bury (to be buried) or to make a cryoconservation. Everybody
is entitled to choose which of the two alternatives they find better.
But if one wants to live longer or/and can’t stand the thought of their relatives’ death,
that’s cryonics that gives the only chance, the only hope (if one doesn’t honestly believe in another world).
The idea of life forever finds its reflection in immortology and cryonics actually serves it.
It’s fun listening to sweet songs while musing on whether to live very long or not, but the
moment it comes to real life tragedy when one dies, unfortunately music won’t help you to prolong your life,
only science must help. I’m sure it’s worth thinking about.

Cryonics site: http://kriorus.ru/
Transhumanism site: transhumanism–russia.ru
Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2013, 00:26   #32
Vovix
Dreamer

Well, having read some answers, I would like to ask a question:

Why are so many of us afraid to live "forever"?

Or simply:

Why are we afraid to live?

Why would anyone ever want to die?

Some people say they are afraid to see other people growing old and dying. But should they? Somewhy almost everyone here assumed he/she would be the only one immortal, while others wouldn't be.

But imagine if we get rid of death once and for all?

This is not so imaginary question as it would seem.

Lena mentioned about cryonics, and it is not a secret that most people don't take it as serious as it should be. Many are scared because of some prejudices.

In fact, it is about a chance. A chance for every human living today to be alive and well in, say, 2134 AD, to see Halley's comet returning for the third time with family and friends, spending some time on Mars, or waiting even more for a full solar eclipse over your home town (for me it will be somewhere in 29th century)... watching and comparing the next Millennium craze with one you were part of in the "good old" 2000, etc. etc., this is what inspires me since Europe's Final Countdown, in things like "Afternoons in Utopia" and in SciFi in general.

The only things that stand today between us and this dream are time, money, and enough smart and inspired people making right things. Any other kinds of futures, when people still die "in time" one after another, for me are not worth building.

A human life is never too much. I remember the summer of 2000 as if it was yesterday. In fact, we already spent almost 1/8 of this century which once seemed endless. 1/80 of a thousand years. Does it still seem so vast? Yet today, few people are able to overcome 8 times what we've lived in what was once "Century Of The Future"?

A century is 36500 days. Only three times to celebrate a kind of round number. A bit more than 3 billion seconds — not even enough to say "Hello" to everyone living on Earth! How could one ever think of the future life being "boring"? Has anyone tried?

No kind of imaginary philosophical fear of "forever" should make us blind to the fact that the biological life we have today is not even close to enough for what we can imagine today, not even speaking about what we'll imagine tomorrow to make this life better, year by year, century by century, eon by eon. Don't even think once should be such a time you wouldn't want to live anymore. If so, today it is called suicidal sepression, a disease to be cured. The human destiny is to live, death is to be defeated.

I won't publish here direct links to what I'd recommend as "must read" on life extension, transhumanism, or cryonics, as that would be considered advertising. Rather I'd call: do not hesitate to take your future in your own hands and explore what you can to to ensure it, for yourself, for those who are important for you, for humanity.
Vovix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2013, 14:40   #33
Avalon
Dreamer

I don't think anyone want to die. Too live and survive is coded deep into our system, or you colud say, coded deep into any living creature on Earth. So of course you want to live.
But death it self is a way for nature to make room for the next generation of life to walk on this planet, to make a balance. But say we do find a way to remove death. That sounds like a very good thing, but it would not be a good thing for our planet. We humans are allready at a to high number even with death.
We are tipping the balance of nature. So if we humans where to find a way to live forever, I think it would do more harm then good too our Earth-our home.
Just think all the damge we allready too to this planet and to ourself, and we are not far away from over population either.
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2013, 16:40   #34
Kaz
Her...

Well, you have until 2036 to decide. Or maybe that decision will be made for all of us anyway:

http://www.examiner.com/article/pote...earth-tomorrow

Before you judge me, make sure you're perfect.
Last edited by Kaz; 09 Jan 2013 at 16:45.
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2013, 17:04   #35
sophienoelle
Themaestro'sgirl

@ Avalon:

Totally agree! We are destroying the planet faster than it can heal itself. It's discouraging, sometimes. For one person who tries to live in harmony with nature, there are 100s that don't, and you wonder if it makes any difference. But you keep on trying anyway[smile2]

“Therefore, let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.”
sophienoelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2013, 17:17   #36
Mumu
Exclusive Fanclub Member

I also think that Human Beings are the worst plague on Earth. And if we live forever, there will be only one solution : leave Earth and find other planets. Hoping they won't be polluted as Earth.

Whatever you do, never explain yourself : your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you.
Mumu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2013, 17:24   #37
FallenAngel
Some Kind Of Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumu View Post
I also think that Human Beings are the worst plague on Earth. And if we live forever, there will be only one solution : leave Earth and find other planets. Hoping they won't be polluted as Earth.

Wow, first time I my life I see an intelligent human!
Shall I prepare the spaceship?
Dr. [bunny]

You can do just what you wanna
You can kill or you can die
Be a beggar or a princess
But you'll never lose your style
Ephemere - Fallen Angel

FallenAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2013, 17:28   #38
Mumu
Exclusive Fanclub Member

Only one spaceship ?

Seing what rabbits do in my garden, and how easily my cat can catch them, I think they ofter forget to be intelligent too. [tonque]

Whatever you do, never explain yourself : your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you.
Old 09 Jan 2013, 17:33   #39
sophienoelle
Themaestro'sgirl

@ Mumu:

They already are! We've left stuff on the moon from the moon landings, I'm sure Mars has broken down rovers on it, and I think there are so many bits of satellite garbage floating around in space, it would wreck our spaceship!

“Therefore, let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.”
sophienoelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2013, 17:57   #40
Mumu
Exclusive Fanclub Member

I was thinking of planets outside our solar system. A little bit too far for us, as we can't go faster than light. Maybe it's a good thing for those planets.