Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville News

Old 22 Apr 2017, 17:01   #1281
Alphaxl
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krapplund View Post
Why not buy the vinyl and support Alphaville????
Right ^^

But for the moment, I could buy the vinyl but not hear this four song because my turntable doesn't work (not longer works)

And I think, I'm gonna buy it to be sure I have once this 4 songs.

Te raconter enfin qu'il faut aimer la vie et l'aimer même si je suis fatigué du mensonge et de la vérité que je croyais si belle, que je voulais aimer et qui est si cruelle que je m'y suis brulé ... .
Alphaxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2017, 17:17   #1282
Halfnelson
Waiter

Quote:
I think you missed the point. I bought both CD & vinyl to support my fav band but don't have any vinyl player. After some searchs on audiophile forums I came to the conclusion that lower price for a turntable wich don't destroy your vinyls is more or less 200€... Can't afford that.
The way I see it, putting exclusive vinyl tracks without downloading codes is an encouragement to piracy from the record company.
Of course nobody forced me to buy the vinyl, but c'mon, they know hard-die fans want each & every versions of songs (& some each & every objects). There's some hypocrisy here.

Some precision from the law in France (last time I checked):
_ perfectly legal to make as many save copies as you want of something that you own.
_ illegal to copy a copy-protected thing!!!
In the spirit of the 1st law of course copy-protected thing should be illegals!
Thanksfully, in France since end of WW2, we know officialy that when laws are evil it's our moral duty to disobey.

This being said, I'm very happy with the new release by AV. Love you guys!
Just still hunting for these 4 tracks in any ways. If that could come from Moonbase it would be great...
Halfnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2017, 18:06   #1283
humanracer
Dreamer

No need to have a big debate about this. The tracks are exclusive to vinyl because Marian likes this format and wants to promote it. I doubt the record company had much to do with this. And also remember Crazyshow which was a limited boxset that only some fans could buy or afford. So Alphaville a history of making rare tracks available to a small number of people. It doesn't bother me.

The vinyl tracks will come out in the usual places and no doubt people will hear them if they want it. As long as you are supporting Alphaville by buying one version of the album I don't see the issue.

Just be patient.
humanracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2017, 18:36   #1284
Halfnelson
Waiter

You have good points here. On the whole, wise words. I certainly don't want to make a big debate. Before that last post I had just written one sentence about it & intended to leave it at that.
I just couldn't let a crap post (pun intended just for the pleasure of punning Krapplund ) insinuate it was music thiefs talk, so maybe I over reacted a little bit & digressed a big bit.
So sorry about any disturbance in the Force.
Last edited by Halfnelson; 22 Apr 2017 at 18:40.
Old 22 Apr 2017, 19:50   #1285
hajak
Exclusive Fanclub Member

Quote:
I Always support AV got all records they released(I Think) but I am NOT gonna buy something
I cant play(not gonna buy a vinylplayer for 4 songs),
Of course they made this decision to make people to buy both a CD and a vinyl to make Money,
Sooner or later we will probably get our hands on these songs

I agree thats no need to discuss this anymore a strange decision has been made long ago,no matter what we Think about it.
Last edited by hajak; 22 Apr 2017 at 19:57.
hajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2017, 21:17   #1286
Halfnelson
Waiter

Afternoons In Utopia & Strange Attractor are two AV's albums featuring the band on cover (& with 13 tracks & roughly 31 years apart)
_ in AIU back cover (or cd booklett) each member has its own 5 edged star & all 3 members look at the sky
_ in SA there is only one 5 edged star (the strange attractor) & only Marian is looking at the sky (see Heartbreak City cover)

??? AIU -> all three members are 'in the know', SA -> Only Marian is. ???

"You should better look at the sky ?"

changing subject...
Old 24 Apr 2017, 07:39   #1287
rolandk
Exclusive Fanclub Member

In the 2nd week the album is on #95 in the official german charts.

As comparison: CROG stayed for 12 weeks in the german charts, highest position was #9
rolandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2017, 13:16   #1288
marcibh
Dreamer

I think the bonus tracks Around the Universe is much better than the album version :) and i like the bonus version of Heartbreak city, very good synth, chilling,relaxing song.
marcibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2017, 14:56   #1289
Streetside Romeo
Strange Attractor

Listening to the bonus tracks on the vinyl, I am happy the band has left no stone unturned and kept reinventing themselves...I think the versions on Strange Attractor are brilliant and for each of them I think I understand why Alphaville chose them over the previous incarnations - though it's fascinating to get to know these as well.

Heartbreak City certainly has undergone the biggest change...the Vinyl version is very casual and very pop, somehow I get the image of Roxette and Lou Reed smoking some dope together. While this is no turnoff, the album version is a completely different song altogether, much edgier, much more innovative and gripping. I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Mafia Island has come a long way, too. The Vinyl Version reminds me a lot of the B-sides and Dreamscapes-Releases from the Afternoons In Utopia / The Breathtaking Blue phase...could have fit right in with Comme Vingt Mille Lieues or Like Thunder. It's introverted and meditative, and I really like it a lot. But the album version is deeper and more hypnotic, definitely develops more of an untertow pulling the listener in.

A Handful of Darkness seems pretty close to the album version at first, but it is much more light-footed, faster, less solemn. It's a good synthpop-track in its own right, but the album version is much more emotionally intense and pensive, a great (and in my view better) fit for the lyrics.

Like several others around here, I personally prefer the no-fuss synthpop-approach to Around the Universe over the album version - it's smoother, doesn't get as pompous in the chorus and most of all the bridge after the second chorus, it just sails right through, befitting the travel imaginery. However, it can hardly be disputed that the album version features the more sophisticated arrangements and more dynamic range...more drama, less melancholy - so it's also a question of where you want to take this song in terms of interpretation.

These four glimpses at the production process make me rather curious to listen to earlier versions of other Strange Attractor songs that underwent quite some changes, like Giants or Rendezvoyeur...here's hoping for more insights on a future Dreamscapes release :)

I prefer to walk with my own feet
I prefer to dance to my own beat
I prefer to sing my own song
I prefer to live - do you wanna come along?
(Ephemere - Eternal Travelers pt. III)

NEW ALBUM RELEASED:
Check out my synth-rock band EPHEMERE's latest, the wonderfully synth-heavy LP "Hobos & Architects": www.ephemere.de
Last edited by Streetside Romeo; 24 Apr 2017 at 14:58.
Streetside Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2017, 15:48   #1290
humanracer
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfnelson View Post
Afternoons In Utopia & Strange Attractor are two AV's albums featuring the band on cover (& with 13 tracks & roughly 31 years apart)
_ in AIU back cover (or cd booklett) each member has its own 5 edged star & all 3 members look at the sky
_ in SA there is only one 5 edged star (the strange attractor) & only Marian is looking at the sky (see Heartbreak City cover)

??? AIU -> all three members are 'in the know', SA -> Only Marian is. ???

"You should better look at the sky ?"

changing subject...
Hi
Leaving side the symbolism, I think the reason SA has the band on the cover because this is a band album. To some AV is just a Marian Gold solo project now but SA was written and performed by the whole band. AV feels more like a band that it has done since the late 80s.
humanracer is offline   Reply With Quote