Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Other Artists > Other Artists

Old 13 Jul 2010, 10:56   #61
Katrin
Banned

I don´t know... I think its not a great idea... he is completly finish with AV and around that. Nobody knows where is and what he do at moment, even Marian, maby still Bernd.
Katrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2010, 20:10   #62
Lonely Joe
The Voyager!

we know, he has finished, bur.. why not? he is a talanted composer.. we like his projects after the av...so... why not?
for example, he has changed my life completely, i would like to thank him for it!
Lonely Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2010, 21:19   #63
Alien
Trapped in Dreams

If he's so hiding away, he really doesn't want to have anything in common with his past. Fans trying to reach him might only irritate him... *shrugs*

*MADE IN USSR*
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2010, 21:41   #64
Lonely Joe
The Voyager!

i can agree, but.. ok.. who knows?
Lonely Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2010, 18:40   #65
jetset
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien View Post
If he's so hiding away, he really doesn't want to have anything in common with his past. Fans trying to reach him might only irritate him... *shrugs*
I can understand why he quited the band, and I know that the Maëlstrom website doesn't exist anymore. Nevertheless, he still gets royalties from the Forever Young album, therefore I see no problems to send him birthday wishes via WEA, which will forward .

jetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2010, 19:13   #66
Katrin
Banned

Ok, I had copy the news from the german Forum. Its a article from a german newspaper. It is only in german. But maby anybody will transate it.
Kaz??? ;-) I can´t it...
I think that is the answer from any questions here.

"EXPRESS vom 04.06.2005
Köln Lokales

Frank Mertens schrieb den Hit "Big in Japan"
Das traurige Schicksal des Alphaville-Stars

Von AXEL HILL und ZIK

Köln - Er war nicht nur "Big in Japan": Mit seiner Band Alphaville gehörte Frank Mertens zu den großen deutschen Pop-Stars der 80er Jahre, wurde mit Gold und Platin ausgezeichnet. Heute ist der 43-Jährige nur noch ein Schatten seiner selbst: Er leidet an einer Psychose.

Das große Alphaville-Jahr war 1984: Mit ihren Singles "Big in Japan", "Sounds like a melody" und "Forever young" und dem gleichnamigen Album stürmen Marian Gold, Frank Mertens und Bernhard Lloyd die deutschen und internationalen Charts . Doch im Dezember 1984 beschließt Keyboarder und Komponist Frank Mertens auszusteigen. "Er wollte einfach eine andere Art von Musik machen", erzählt seine Mutter Edith Sorgatz (Mertens ist Franks Künstlername).

Alphaville machen ohne ihn weiter, haben aber nie wieder solch große Erfolge wie mit den ersten Hits, die allesamt aus Franks Feder stammen.

Frank Mertens beginnt nach seinem Ausstieg ein VWL-Studium. Nach sieben Jahren in Paris kommt er Ende der 90er Jahre nach Köln. Und alles sieht so rosig aus: Mit seinem Projekt "maelstrom" veröffentlicht er mehrere Alben mit elektronischer Musik. Beginnt mit Malerei und Bildhauerei, schreibt Gedichte.

Vor vier Jahren dann der Schock: Die Ärzte attestieren eine Psychose. "Wie das gekommen ist, wissen wir alle nicht", so seine Mutter. "Aber jetzt geht es ihm jeden Tag ein bisschen besser." Die Eltern leben in Westfalen, sind aber so oft es geht hier bei ihm in Köln. "Er hat schon wieder angefangen, ein bisschen Musik zu machen - im Moment lebt er noch von den Tantiemen der Hits."

Und wie ist der Kontakt zu seinen ehemaligen Alphaville-Kollegen? "Ich habe mir ihre Alben angehört, hatte aber keinen Kontakt mehr", erzählt er. "Erst 1998 traf ich Bernhard Lloyd wieder, und wir stehen seitdem in Verbindung."
-------

...that was a last news from Frank. I hope he get well now!!!
Old 14 Jul 2010, 19:45   #67
JaJaJa
Rebel Dreamer

Don't have the time to translate it all word by word right now, but all in all they say that FM was only
a shadow of the man he used to be, he was suffering of an psychosis.
Interesting is the sentence that after his quitting of AV they continued but never could reach such
success as with the first couple of hits, that were all written by FM.
In 2001 the diagnosis came up, his mother is helpless how it could emerge. He meanwhile lived in
Cologne and has started making music again, still affording his life by the royalties of the big hits.
He said he'd listened to the other AV records, but didn't have contact to his mates, only in 1998 he
met BL again and is in touch with him since then.

The Yellow Press met parents who are not used to the media, if you ask me...

Между нами дураками естъ один большой дурак.
Раз, два, три - Это верно ты!
JaJaJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2010, 19:56   #68
Katrin
Banned

Thank you JaJaJa! Better I can´t translate it ;-)
Old 14 Jul 2010, 21:32   #69
JaJaJa
Rebel Dreamer

No problem!

Между нами дураками естъ один большой дурак.
Раз, два, три - Это верно ты!
JaJaJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2010, 18:49   #70
jetset
Dreamer

Thank you so much for this Katrin.

jetset is offline   Reply With Quote