Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville News

Old 21 Mar 2019, 00:13   #151
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

Yeah, and loads of autotune in the chorus. Same with Forever Young... why is Marian doing this now? I refuse to believe otherwise since it's very evident that some sort of real-time autotune device is being used in these concerts. It's not hard to hear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgMCHKgT3cA

Skip to 1:52 and you'll hear what I'm talking about. Listen in that Blauer Engel video as well and you'll hear it's littered across the chorus and verses. I hope this isn't what they'll be doing from here on out...
MarianGoldfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2019, 01:05   #152
MalilaM
Random Motion

Great find, Jetset! It sounds far better than I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset View Post
BLAEUR ENGEL live is fantastisch! very close to the studio version.

I must be going crazy or the brandy's won the race 32
MalilaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2019, 03:43   #153
humanracer
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianGoldfan123 View Post
Yeah, and loads of autotune in the chorus. Same with Forever Young... why is Marian doing this now? I refuse to believe otherwise since it's very evident that some sort of real-time autotune device is being used in these concerts. It's not hard to hear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgMCHKgT3cA

Skip to 1:52 and you'll hear what I'm talking about. Listen in that Blauer Engel video as well and you'll hear it's littered across the chorus and verses. I hope this isn't what they'll be doing from here on out...
It could be that it is more difficult to now to sing the songs. He is getting older and has done lots of concerts.
humanracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2019, 05:47   #154
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

Maybe so, but it's kinda weird sounding.

I've realized lots of the newer tracks are littered with it (the studio recordings, I mean). Listen to a number of CrazyShow tracks (Moon Girl, Zoo, Opium Den) and you'll hear an evident amount of corrections and autotune. It just irks me when people say "what a great voice" when referring to those songs. Autotune doesn't make a great singer. sorry! CROG has the same exact issue (virtually every track has tons - I Die For You Today is the biggest offender IMO)

Way back in his day, the 80's to early 2000's, autotune was just about non-existent. Only a handful of the older tracks have any noticeable edits. Listen closely to Iron John and also What is Love. You'll hear tiny clicks where his voice was comped. A standard practice, and in the case of Iron John, it's understandable since that song was very sparse in the verse section so he wanted to sound 100% perfect.

I'm not trying to discredit him, as the autotune actually makes some of the songs sound quite good, such as Danger in Your Paradise, but I just don't care for the unnatural nature of that effect.
Old 28 Mar 2019, 13:33   #155
Alien
Trapped in Dreams

What would be unnatural is a 64 year old person having the same voice and vocal abilities as a 30 year old one. I guess as singers get older they all face the same vocal problems and it's their choice if they stop singing live at all, continue singing and sound crappy or continue singing and do some tricks to help them sound better...

*MADE IN USSR*
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2019, 14:31   #156
Mart
Dreamer

Totally agree with you there. Alien. I wonder how fans would react if Marian tried to use his natural voice for a track, but it sounded wrong? Would they ask him to use an autotune?

I'm gliding in the distance and watch the world go by
An orbit full of questions, a perforated sky
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2019, 14:40   #157
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

Obviously... He's been taking cortisone for years now since his songs are so hard on his vocal cords! My theory is he might not be able to take it anymore for some medical reason (I've heard it's very bad for you long-term, and hasn't he been taking it for over 10 years?) I've heard he suffered a knee injury in 2004. I'd guess he started to take it then, and then he gained a bit of weight over the years (which hasn't held his voice back any - if anything, he may run out of breath a little bit depending on the song).
Old 28 Mar 2019, 14:59   #158
Mart
Dreamer

Roger Waters stopped using a Voice over in his shows because fans(?) were complaining that he was miming, and he is 75 years of age. So he stopped using it, and no matter how old his voice sounds, you are still getting the original singer singing it.

I'll be in Hamburg on Saturday night for the show with a load of other members here, and if there is a greet and meet, I'll pass on your sentiments on to Marian

I'm gliding in the distance and watch the world go by
An orbit full of questions, a perforated sky
Last edited by Mart; 28 Mar 2019 at 15:08.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2019, 15:21   #159
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

Well I'd hate for him to think that I am calling him a bad singer or something. It was just a small observation I made. If anything, he's the best singer ever, to me :) His talent is limitless and sees no bounds...
Old 29 Mar 2019, 11:27   #160
Ana
Dreamer

Personally,I think that what means being a good artist is not límited to specific aspects of their voices such as they using autotune sometimes, but their whole values:creativity,lirics,fruitfullness ,melodies,personality,magnetism,have the power of make their audience vibrate ,etc
Ana is offline   Reply With Quote