Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom

Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom (https://www.alphaville.org/index.php)
-   Dream Polls (https://www.alphaville.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Has Facebook killed The Dreamroom? (https://www.alphaville.org/showthread.php?t=3560)

wii 10 Feb 2016 09:52

Has Facebook killed The Dreamroom?

I'm seriously considering closing down The Dreamroom [bigmouth], few people use it, and the post count is much lower now than it was in the past. It's not free to host a forum like this online, and I have to consider all the options. I believe Facebook has killed The Dreamroom [yuck]

What do you think?

rolandk 10 Feb 2016 10:34

I fear it is true. I am checking several forums of different artists on a regular basis and all of them have this problem since some years. Facebook seems to be the easier way, to stay in contact with the band and to get all news.

For me personally it would be a great loss, if you close the Dreamroom. As you can see I am not an hyperactive user, but I am here minimum once a week without loggin in, just to check whatīs going on.
I do have a facebook account, but I donīt like facebook at all and I am not using it. So if you should close down the Dreamroom, I would loose my No. 1 information source for AV.

With the Dreamroom you gave all AV fans around the world a homeplace, Willy.

So to keep it as it is, I would have no problem, to pay some Euros to support you in your great work.

nicole 10 Feb 2016 10:48

I think Facebook maybe brought the post count here low, but doesn't Marian and the others still use the Dreamroom for another source along with chats? We can't chat with Marian and everyone on Facebook. The Dreamroom has many great aspects that Facebook doesn't and never will. It would break my heart to see it go. If it wasn't for you or the Dreamroom, I wouldn't have been about to chat and post fun things with you all for the past 5, almost 6 years. Yes, I'm not on as often as I used to be because of a busy schedule, but I do check in a few times a day to see if there have been any new post.The Dreamroom has been around way before Facebook and to be honest, I enjoy the Dreamroom over Facebook anyday. I always use the Dreamroom as my #1 source for new information. Wii, have you discussed this with Marian? Maybe he will have some ideas to keep the Dreamroom up as well. I understand what you mean, but it would just be so sad to see it go.

jetset 10 Feb 2016 12:06

Maybe there is a low activity when AV's actuality is... low, so can we really blame it solely on FB ? But I find all three main sources of info (Moonbase/The Dreamroom/AVNow) to complement one another, so I'd be sad to see the DM down.

poul e 10 Feb 2016 12:27

Personally I spend about 70% of my online time on Facebook so in a way I suppose you could be right Willy.
Actitvity at the forum surely is not the same as it was 5+ years ago. Facebook is the main reason for sure but there are also other reasons. I am not nearly as interested in AV as I was 10 years ago....there are different reasons for that.....but an important reason for me is that their music is moving in the wrong direction...and then of course all the delays of releases.....that's also really annoying!

I totally understand if you end up closing down the forum Willy....it will be a tough decision to make, but it might be the right one as it probably won't get any easier to collect enough money to keep the forum going, as more and more people dissapear from the Dreamroom...

*ariAna* 10 Feb 2016 14:08

I would lose one of my "internet homes". That would be very sad!
I don't use facebook and I think I never will. So in a future without the Dreamroom the only information source would be the mailing list.

But information about the band is not the reason for me to come here, I'm here for the people and the fun!

wii 10 Feb 2016 14:14

Thanks for the support, I'm still considering the options [smile]

What I could do is move the forum to a cheaper hosting company, that would be ideal for me, only problem is that we loose the ability to chat with many users online, but if we can live without that, then the forum could continue for years and years...

tjommen 10 Feb 2016 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by poul e (Post 253743)
Personally I spend about 70% of my online time on Facebook so in a way I suppose you could be right Willy.
Actitvity at the forum surely is not the same as it was 5+ years ago. Facebook is the main reason for sure but there are also other reasons. I am not nearly as interested in AV as I was 10 years ago....there are different reasons for that.....but an important reason for me is that their music is moving in the wrong direction...and then of course all the delays of releases.....that's also really annoying!

I totally understand if you end up closing down the forum Willy....it will be a tough decision to make, but it might be the right one as it probably won't get any easier to collect enough money to keep the forum going, as more and more people dissapear from the Dreamroom...

youre absolutly right..all this delays is the same as lost of intresting

Clare 10 Feb 2016 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by *ariAna* (Post 253747)
I would lose one of my "internet homes". That would be very sad!
I don't use facebook and I think I never will. So in a future without the Dreamroom the only information source would be the mailing list.

But information about the band is not the reason for me to come here, I'm here for the people and the fun!

I'm with Ana here although I do use facebook it isn't the same at all. I hope the Dreamroom continues.

poul e 10 Feb 2016 20:59

I think it is a fantastic idea to move to a cheaper host. I didn't think that was a possibility.

Would it be possible to "lend webspace" for a bigger chat 1 time each year or is that not possible?