Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom

Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom (https://www.alphaville.org/index.php)
-   Other Artists (https://www.alphaville.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Maelstrom/Frank Mertens (https://www.alphaville.org/showthread.php?t=384)

LuanaMaria 11 Feb 2022 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katrin (Post 209404)
Ok, I had copy the news from the german Forum. Its a article from a german newspaper. It is only in german. But maby anybody will transate it.
Kaz??? ;-) I can´t it...
I think that is the answer from any questions here.

"EXPRESS vom 04.06.2005
Köln Lokales

Frank Mertens schrieb den Hit "Big in Japan"
Das traurige Schicksal des Alphaville-Stars

Von AXEL HILL und ZIK

Köln - Er war nicht nur "Big in Japan": Mit seiner Band Alphaville gehörte Frank Mertens zu den großen deutschen Pop-Stars der 80er Jahre, wurde mit Gold und Platin ausgezeichnet. Heute ist der 43-Jährige nur noch ein Schatten seiner selbst: Er leidet an einer Psychose.

Das große Alphaville-Jahr war 1984: Mit ihren Singles "Big in Japan", "Sounds like a melody" und "Forever young" und dem gleichnamigen Album stürmen Marian Gold, Frank Mertens und Bernhard Lloyd die deutschen und internationalen Charts . Doch im Dezember 1984 beschließt Keyboarder und Komponist Frank Mertens auszusteigen. "Er wollte einfach eine andere Art von Musik machen", erzählt seine Mutter Edith Sorgatz (Mertens ist Franks Künstlername).

Alphaville machen ohne ihn weiter, haben aber nie wieder solch große Erfolge wie mit den ersten Hits, die allesamt aus Franks Feder stammen.

Frank Mertens beginnt nach seinem Ausstieg ein VWL-Studium. Nach sieben Jahren in Paris kommt er Ende der 90er Jahre nach Köln. Und alles sieht so rosig aus: Mit seinem Projekt "maelstrom" veröffentlicht er mehrere Alben mit elektronischer Musik. Beginnt mit Malerei und Bildhauerei, schreibt Gedichte.

Vor vier Jahren dann der Schock: Die Ärzte attestieren eine Psychose. "Wie das gekommen ist, wissen wir alle nicht", so seine Mutter. "Aber jetzt geht es ihm jeden Tag ein bisschen besser." Die Eltern leben in Westfalen, sind aber so oft es geht hier bei ihm in Köln. "Er hat schon wieder angefangen, ein bisschen Musik zu machen - im Moment lebt er noch von den Tantiemen der Hits."

Und wie ist der Kontakt zu seinen ehemaligen Alphaville-Kollegen? "Ich habe mir ihre Alben angehört, hatte aber keinen Kontakt mehr", erzählt er. "Erst 1998 traf ich Bernhard Lloyd wieder, und wir stehen seitdem in Verbindung."
-------

...that was a last news from Frank. I hope he get well now!!!

What is the link to the band's official German forum?

hajak 11 Feb 2022 22:34

Try alphaville.nu that is the adress to the only german forum I know

shapeseven 12 Feb 2022 06:36

Maelstrom/Frank Mertens

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuanaMaria (Post 263617)
What is the link to the band's official German forum?

Instead of a forum there is an official user group on slack. You‘ll find the link on Moonbase. However that is English as well.

hardin 20 Feb 2022 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuanaMaria (Post 263592)
Wow! How did you get that: contact with Frank, his sweater and Maelstrom songs?
So far I've only been able to find a demo on youtube.. [?]

I got mail and a Maelstrom CD from Frank 20+ years ago.

The sweater is just a custom made replica I ordered from wildemasche.com

"Style - Visioner" has nothing to do with Frank or AV. The photos was just in the style of FY.

LuanaMaria 02 Mar 2022 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by hajak (Post 263618)
Try alphaville.nu that is the adress to the only german forum I know

Hello Hajak.
Great, thank you very much!! I visited that link and found a lot of information I was looking for. [wink]
I owe you one

LuanaMaria 02 Mar 2022 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by shapeseven (Post 263619)
Instead of a forum there is an official user group on slack. You‘ll find the link on Moonbase. However that is English as well.

Hello shapeseven.
As I understand it, you need to receive the Moonbase invite to be able to join Slack. I sent a few emails asking for a request, but for some reason, so far I have not had a response........ [boring]

Anyway, thanks so much for the tip!

LuanaMaria 02 Mar 2022 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardin (Post 263632)
I got mail and a Maelstrom CD from Frank 20+ years ago.

The sweater is just a custom made replica I ordered from wildemasche.com

"Style - Visioner" has nothing to do with Frank or AV. The photos was just in the style of FY.

Hello Hardin. I wish I had 1% of your luck!!! [bigeyes]
My curiosity is at the maximum level and that's why I have a thousand questions to ask you haha
If I understand correctly, you received a handwritten letter from Frank, right?
Can you send a photo of the letter and CD please?
And was the sender addressed? It would be fascinating to be able to write to Frank!
Another question: would you be interested in selling the Maelstrom CD? (or could you provide some copy of it ..as far as I know, you are the only person on the planet that has it haha)

About the sweater, for a moment I thought it was the original haha ​​what a brilliant idea to replicate, it turned out exactly the same, in the best Mertens style of dressing! Great!

And thanks for the reply about the band Style; I was missing information about this.

I await your return. Thanks!!

Brazilian greetings

hardin 03 Mar 2022 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuanaMaria (Post 263643)
Hello Hardin. I wish I had 1% of your luck!!! [bigeyes]

My curiosity is at the maximum level and that's why I have a thousand questions to ask you haha

If I understand correctly, you received a handwritten letter from Frank, right?

Can you send a photo of the letter and CD please?

And was the sender addressed? It would be fascinating to be able to write to Frank!

Another question: would you be interested in selling the Maelstrom CD? (or could you provide some copy of it ..as far as I know, you are the only person on the planet that has it haha)

About the sweater, for a moment I thought it was the original haha ​​what a brilliant idea to replicate, it turned out exactly the same, in the best Mertens style of dressing! Great!

And thanks for the reply about the band Style; I was missing information about this.

I await your return. Thanks!!

Brazilian greetings

I have no address (and if I had I wouldn't share it). I hope and wish Frank lives a happy and private life.
I don't want to sell (or illegal copy the record). It was a personal gift.
Anyway, here's some photos of the CD, but not the personal letter :)

Swedish greetings
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...8615f61547.jpg

shapeseven 03 Mar 2022 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuanaMaria (Post 263642)
Hello shapeseven.
As I understand it, you need to receive the Moonbase invite to be able to join Slack. I sent a few emails asking for a request, but for some reason, so far I have not had a response........ [boring]

Anyway, thanks so much for the tip!

Please PM me with your Mail address and I will grant you access to the Slack Group

LuanaMaria 04 Mar 2022 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by shapeseven (Post 263645)
Please PM me with your Mail address and I will grant you access to the Slack Group

I sent you a message.
Thank you very much! [smile_big]