Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom

Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom (https://www.alphaville.org/index.php)
-   Alphaville Discussion (https://www.alphaville.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Alphaville Rarities (https://www.alphaville.org/showthread.php?t=3734)

Halfnelson 25 May 2019 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfnelson (Post 261251)
On your website you have:
Song For No One - 5'' promo (with 'alternative radio mix')
I Die For You Today - 5'' promo (unnamed version)
Catching Rays On Giant - 5'' promo (4 tracks, 3 labelled 'work in progress')

Would you be kind enough for telling us what versions are different from the album ? Could you provide some at-least-readable scans ? Those items are a mystery to me and I don't even know if they should be in the scope of my collection (I don't collect rare items, I collect items wich have at least one track unavailable elsewhere).

If you're not dear Krapplund and have answer to one of those questions and if you don't think those informations should be restricted to members of a secret society, please don't be shy! [wink]

Krapplund 25 May 2019 20:32

Muhahaha...have forgot it [laugh]

hardin 30 Aug 2020 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by shapeseven (Post 261244)

Very cool item! From 1983 with the Nelson Alphaville sticker.

MarianGoldfan123 31 Aug 2020 00:59

CROG promo with every track
 
This is something I have. It has all of the tracks from CROG on it.

A few are the same as the final master (Call Me, I Die For You Today, Song For No One) whereas others differ slightly (Heaven On Earth, The Deep).

One track in particular differs a fair bit from the final version (Phantoms). The vocals are completely different. Marian sings the whole song in a more "spoken" or rather "whispery" tone. It's not bad at all.

Carry Your Flag is also incomplete with various portions which are obviously unfinished.

I won't post them on YouTube (though I'd absolutely love to) as I don't have the legal clearance to do that. I tend to post released / publicly available songs which are very hard to find. This CD is an exception as it was never meant to be heard by the public.

https://imgur.com/Z4V33ZZ

jetset 31 Aug 2020 17:19

Interesting, MGF! It reads 'Watermarked listening-Copy', a kind of DRM protection many online music streaming services use.
Sometimes I wonder if the bands themselves know the very existence of such 'alternative master' copies...

Halfnelson 31 Aug 2020 18:52

Great find MGF! Didn't knew it existence. Thank you!

If I read you well:
same: Call Me, I Die For You Today, Song For No One
differ: Heaven On Earth, The Deep, Phantoms, Carry Your Flag

Would you be kind enough to tell us about the last five?
Also is there some artwork or some 'produkt fackt'?

All of CROG's promos information (including singles) is so hard to find!


And a shameles bump for a shy member of this foum... [wink]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfnelson (Post 261380)
On your website you have:
Song For No One - 5'' promo (with 'alternative radio mix')
I Die For You Today - 5'' promo (unnamed version)
Catching Rays On Giant - 5'' promo (4 tracks, 3 labelled 'work in progress')

Would you be kind enough for telling us what versions are different from the album ? Could you provide some at-least-readable scans ? Those items are a mystery to me and I don't even know if they should be in the scope of my collection (I don't collect rare items, I collect items wich have at least one track unavailable elsewhere).


MarianGoldfan123 31 Aug 2020 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfnelson (Post 262964)
Great find MGF! Didn't knew it existence. Thank you!

If I read you well:
same: Call Me, I Die For You Today, Song For No One
differ: Heaven On Earth, The Deep, Phantoms, Carry Your Flag

Would you be kind enough to tell us about the last five?
Also is there some artwork or some 'produkt fackt'?

All of CROG's promos information (including singles) is so hard to find!


And a shameles bump for a shy member of this foum... [wink]


I haven't listened to it in forever, but to my memory, the other 5 are either the same as the final mixes or the differences are negligible.

The Phantoms mix is easily the best one :) hah.

Nope, it's just the disc. No artwork of any kind.

I also have the Prostitute promo. That one's not interesting in the slightest, though the CD art is pretty nice. Not gonna lie!

Mart 31 Aug 2020 22:05

I have just purchased, from Discogs, an Israeli pressing of Afternoons In Utopia. The great thing about smaller pressings of vinyl is that, because of demand, the number of pressings is smaller. So a pressing from Israel will sound much cleaner than, say, a 2nd German pressing as Israel probably had not got as many fans as Germany. Therefore, the idea behind grabbing a vinyl pressing from a small country is actually quiet rarer than a German pressing.



https://www.discogs.com/Alphaville-A...elease/9313294



And the vinyl only cost me 20 Euros

hardin 31 Aug 2020 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 262972)
I have just purchased, from Discogs, an Israeli pressing of Afternoons In Utopia. The great thing about smaller pressings of vinyl is that, because of demand, the number of pressings is smaller. So a pressing from Israel will sound much cleaner than, say, a 2nd German pressing as Israel probably had not got as many fans as Germany. Therefore, the idea behind grabbing a vinyl pressing from a small country is actually quiet rarer than a German pressing.



https://www.discogs.com/Alphaville-A...elease/9313294



And the vinyl only cost me 20 Euros

Nice!
Also with the song Jerusalem on it, the pressing has to be Israeli.

Mart 31 Aug 2020 22:45

I am waiting eagerly to hear it to compare against the German pressing that is in my collection.


@ Shape Seven. And be careful. Place the paper into a polycarbon wallet. Paper deteriorates vinyl over time


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:32.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
design by wii