Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom

Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom (https://www.alphaville.org/index.php)
-   Alphaville Discussion (https://www.alphaville.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Next boxset (https://www.alphaville.org/showthread.php?t=3731)

Halfnelson 24 Mar 2019 18:29

Next boxset

Warning: Wall of text.

I'm now hoping for a follow up to the FY boxset. But there are some difficulties:
_ AIU 7'', b-sides & 12'' is too long for one CD:
_ TBB 7'', b-sides & 12'' is too short for one CD (except if you want half of your CD filled with remixes of 'Romeos'.
_ for both, not enough demos (at least published so far)
_ Many fans are not fond of TBB (not me)

My solution:
'Afternoons In Blue: The Breathtaking Utopia' boxset, 2*LP + 5*CD + DVD
LP1 & CD1: AIU
LP2 & CD2: TBB
CD3: 7'' & B-sides (70:32)
CD4: 12'' (71:14 or 70:48)
CD5: demos (67:11)
DVD: documentary + 4 AIU promos videos + Songlines

tracklist CD3:
01 The Nelson Highrise Sector 2: The Mirror
02 Next Generation
03 Jerusalem (single)
04 Vingt Mille Lieues Sous Les Mers
05 Sensations (single)
06 Red Rose (the 7'' remix)
07 Concrete Soundtraxx For Imaginary Films I
08 Romeos (single)
09 Headlines
10 Summer Rain (single)
11 Sister Sun
12 The Mysteries Of Love (remix edit)
13 Like Thunder
14 Jerusalem (maxi b-side)
15 Red Rose (instrumental)
16 The Mysteries Of Love (lp mix with sax)

tracklist CD4:
01 Dance With Me (empire remix)
02 Universal Daddy (Aquarian Dance Mix)
03 Jerusalem (The Palace Version)
04 Sensations (club mix)
05 Red Rose (the 12'' remix)
06 Romeos (maxi)
07 Summer Rain (extended version)
08 The Mysteries Of Love (remix)
09 Sensations (dub mix)
10 Red Rose (dub mix)
11 Romeos (new sped-up 7'' edit)
or
11 Romeos (teknopella)
If one of Romeos US remixes be included I think it should be 'Teknopella' as so8os have 'Tribal' & Dreamscapes have a variation of 'Balcony'.
For track 11 could also be considered Romeos - "Angel-Less" or the mythic version without the guitar intro.

tracklist CD5:
01 Voice Of The Dolphins
02 Dance With Me (demo)
03 Lady Bright - Faster Than Light (demo)
04 Afternoons In Utopia (instrumental remix)
05 The Voyager (demo remix)
06 Universal Daddy (demo 1)
07 Red Rose (demo)
08 Fantastic Dream (demo)
09 Jerusalem (demo remix)
10 Carol Masters (1st version, without new vocals?)
11 Lassie Come Home (demo)
12 20th Century (demo)
13 Ariana (full demo)
14 Summer Rain (demo)
15 For A Million (instrumental)
16 Headlines (demo)
17 Romeos (demo)
18 She Fades Away (demo 1, titanic version)

DVD
should contain the video from Red Rose CDV pro 01 (wich is I guess the edit from First Harvest', lenght given was 4:23 but the guys at CD-museum found 4:37 of datas).
The Romeos edit from FH is I guess the Songlines version.

I would buy this 70-80 €! (even if my preference will always be for a new album or Dreamscapes 13-18 [wink])

Mart 24 Mar 2019 18:49

A Box Set is supposed to contain live and rare tracks. I think everything that you posted is available elswhere. I agree with the double LP part which should be remastered.

Another point would be that Dreamscapes cover Crazy Show too, so anything before would not be renamed DS XX unless they decided to remaster Catching Rays On Giant or Strange Attractor.

Also, A Blue Ray disc is contained in newly released boxsets, containing all audio and visual content on the other discs

Halfnelson 24 Mar 2019 19:25

What I posted is a suggestion of a follow up of the just released Forever Young 2019. As FY 2019 with this set you have all AIU/TBB albums, 7'', b-sides, 12'' & demos published. That was the whole point. I only left out the far too many Romeos US remixes. It is also implied that of course the whole set would be remastered.

Is it the word boxset that upset you? For me FY 2019 is a boxset but feel free to ignore it.

I don't understand you mentioning live tracks.

Rare or not is not the point here. But speaking about rare it what about:

Summer Rain - single, Jerusalem - 12'' b-side, Red Rose - Instrumental, Romeos - Teknopella, never published in cd.

Mysteries of Love - lp mix with sax, Red Rose - dub mix, Romeos - new sped-up 7'' edit, already existing in CD but on rare objects.

Voice of the Dolphins & dance with Me - demo, only published on History MC?

I didn't understand what you're trying to say in your second paragraph. True I mentioned DS in my last sentence but it has nothing to do with the subject of the post.

I perfectly understand you not being interested here, no problems at all, I just feel your post is completly offside.

Mart 24 Mar 2019 19:50

[smile] I didn't mean to offend you Halfnelson. And you haven't insulted me. Im a huge fan of Box Sets, My latest being The Whiskey A Go Go one. The one before that was the Public Image Limited Box Set. That contained A B sides, 12" and remixes, as well as a live audio show. The Dvd contains rare interviews with the band, plus extras incluing photos and posters. The package also contains 10 postcards and a Wall poster of the tour that they played to promote the Box Set.

Your list is fine, but I would love to hear some rare live tracks from the early days. There are very few live audio shows from Alphaville, let alone live DVD or Video slots from the early days that need remastering

Dreamscapes is a chronology going forward, fro 1-12. If you include your Box Set in DS realm, it would be going backwards. Perhaps FY deluxe could have been called by a different realm, so that following albums cought be brought in later.

Again, your list ia good one, and forgive me for being obstinate

Halfnelson 24 Mar 2019 20:24

No apologizes needed, you didn't offend me, I feel you just don't speak about the subject of this thread wich I'll try to rephrase differently:

After the release of FY - super deluxe, what should be in 'Afternoons In Utopia' -super deluxe if this boxset should happen. Same question about TBB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 261045)
Dreamscapes is a chronology going forward, fro 1-12. If you include your Box Set in DS realm, it would be going backwards. Perhaps FY deluxe could have been called by a different realm, so that following albums cought be brought in later.

OK, I give up, my english must be awfull... [laugh]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfnelson
True I mentioned DS in my last sentence but it has nothing to do with the subject of the post.

Mart 24 Mar 2019 21:40

I just find it interesting that Dreamscapes 2wo and 3ree cover the out takes from both The Breathtaking Blue and Afternoons In Utopia. There are more than 11 remixes floating about with Romeos. And as I said before, a live audio CD would be interesting from the era. Alphaville audio live shows are very hard to find from the first 3 albums in lossless format. If there is a search done on you Tube, and you type in Alphaville Rare, you can find a lot of rare vids and tracks there. Also, a search done with discogs.com can tell you everything about remixes, demo's and rare tracks from the early albums. I'm just throwing suggestions at you, Halfnelson. Good job on the list that you posted, but maybe we can throw in rare tracks mixed among the discs, Stark Naked and Live was an excellent live album. I know it was taken from different shows. But any live shows from the mid 80s would be wonderful[smile].

P.S. Dreamscapes 4our was a live disc

MarianGoldfan123 24 Mar 2019 22:20

Wait a second: Does a guitar-less version Romeos exist?

Anyways, if a AIU boxset got made, I'd hope they would include demo 1 of Lassie Come Home (the one released on DS was demo 2) and for TBB, maybe release the other 2 Summer Rain demos (demo 3 got released)

Mart 24 Mar 2019 22:30

hhttps://www.discogs.com/composition...4-Romeosttp://

Check this page out. 18 different versions

https://www.discogs.com/composition/...ssie-Come-Home

This page for Lassie Come Home

https://www.discogs.com/Alphaville-S...release/571964

And this one for Summer Rain

Halfnelson 24 Mar 2019 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart
I'm just throwing suggestions at you, Halfnelson

Ok

Quote:

... Alphaville audio live shows are very hard to find from the first 3 albums in lossless format ... any live shows from the mid 80s would be wonderful ...

They simply don't exist. AFAIK AV made a concert the last day of 1982, then Albert & the Heart of Gold in 1987 & 1991, then 1993 (Beyrut).

Quote:

... but maybe we can throw in rare tracks mixed among the discs ...

What rare tracks ? Maybe there is a few of them in AV's vault but we know nothing of them so discussing a tracklist...

If there is any, of course I'd like to hear them in a next Dreamscapes, not in a AIU/TBB anniversary remasters release.

I don't care too much about live versions, except when it comes to unreleased songs like 'When I'm 64' that I'd love to hear.
Thank you for participing in the thread!

@MarianGoldfan
It is rumored to exist. The old discography at Moonbase mentioned a 7'' promo - 'without the heavy guitar intro' (quoting Moonbase from memory). But I've never came across somebody claiming having the object or even dicussing it. Maybe it was an april fools joke staying online for many years. [wink]

On FY 2019 they didn't include the 2 demos of Jet Set, or the 2 demos (& 3 versions) of Summer in Berlin, or the 2 versions of the demo of Traumtanzer. So I choose to skip one of the demo of Universal Daddy & the 2nd demo of She Fades Away. But yes any exchange of versions could be considered.

Mart 24 Mar 2019 22:54

That's exactly where the rare tracks lie, Halfnelson. With the band and thier staff. Pink Floyd went back to the early 60s and dug up Syd Barret and 4 albums worth of rare tracks. The released 7 boxsets of materiel that was recently unheard of. I have them all, and they include Blue Ray discs.

Back to topic. If you dig the internet hard enough, you will definitely find ultra rare tracks

The Nelson Highrise Sector 2 is "The Other Side of U," the B-side to 1986's single "Dance With Me"