PDA

View Full Version : Should I close down The Dreamroom?

wii
25 Jul 2018, 08:50
To be honest, the activity of the forum has been decreasing rapidly lately [bigeyes]

The statistics are clear since a few years after the arrival of Facebook. The amount of new posts and new members has never been as low as this year, but also looking back the last 10 years shows it clearly, people don't care that much anymore, so I'm considering closing it down, what do you think?

Please vote and post your comments below, thanks [wink]

hervelam
25 Jul 2018, 11:27
Hello!
Another forum killed by Facebook?
NO!
Please do resist!
Believe me, I've observed several times that Facebook does NOT connect fans as did forums or mailing lists or associations....
Even though interest has decreased (maybe), it is good that such places remain where fans can post from time to time, whenever they want.
Good night.
HervE

hajak
25 Jul 2018, 12:34
Well,I hope you dont(I vote no)I havent been so Active in the forum the last year but that is not because of FB
its the style of Music that is on SA that made me loose some interest in Alphaville,I sure hope they get"back on track"with the next album but who knows

MarianGoldfan123
25 Jul 2018, 12:40
I personally think if it costs too much to maintain and keep up, then yes, go for it. However, if you do decide to close down the forum, please give the option to download an archive of the threads since so much AV-related information will be lost if you do so without giving the option.

It's sad that the forum activity is decreasing tenfold... Many AV Facebook groups are online, yes, but I wish it wasn't this way. Having this forum was the way to go, but again, I"m sure it isn't cheap to host all of this data for very little activity.

andrewbw
25 Jul 2018, 16:26
Ultimately, it's your decision since you're the one who has to pay in time and money to keep this place going, and I doubt anyone would fault you for making a decision in favor of your own needs. I doubt may of us die-hards are going to willingly vote, "sure, shut 'er down!" :)

That being said... This has been a pretty massive 12 months or so for Alphaville with the US tour, the Whisky-A-Go-Go shows, box set, etc. If none of that encouraged much in the way of growth or activity here, I doubt that's going to change at all in the future now that the band has returned to its normal pattern of playing the occasional festival gigs around Europe. And who knows when we might see another album.

So, up to you. Even though I only joined recently, I agree with MarianGoldfan123 that the value of Dreamroom is the incredible archive of past posts and information. I've spent a lot of time digging for trivia and other information in posts here from years ago, and it'd be sad to see that disappear. It's a huge resource for Alphaville fans, even if there's not much new activity.

Just my thoughts.

AtraOvis
25 Jul 2018, 18:22
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AtraOvis
25 Jul 2018, 18:23
It is such a treasure!!!

poul e
25 Jul 2018, 19:10
Is it possible to get a cheaper host?
With the decreased activity it should no longer be nescessary with a superfast forum.
I know that you want the forum to be smooth and clean Willy, but if the alternative is to close the forum completely then perhaps it could be an idea to use advertisements to keep the forum running???

Halfnelson
25 Jul 2018, 21:21
You won't be surprised I voted no. This forum is public-service! [wink]

But if you choose to close it down I concur with MarianGoldfan123 idea to have a download of all the public parts of the forum (at least AVNews & AVDisussion).

If again this is impossible please give us enough time in advance in order for us to save those threads manually.

Closing this forum would be the worst blow ever to AV community. Hoping this thread will generate enough money contributions to help you making the right choice! [wink]

wii
26 Jul 2018, 08:25
Yes, I'm considering all options, I just want to get thoughts about this, the low activity even in this thread says it all [bigeyes], but I won't decide anything in a while, don't worry [wink]

Is it possible to get a cheaper host?
With the decreased activity it should no longer be nescessary with a superfast forum.
I know that you want the forum to be smooth and clean Willy, but if the alternative is to close the forum completely then perhaps it could be an idea to use advertisements to keep the forum running???

Clare
26 Jul 2018, 19:00
It would be a shame. Maybe we could encourage more traffic by advertising (not paid advertising) on facebook. Facebook has advantages but there's very little quality discussion.

Do you remember when Tobi posted banners and they were on facebook? Perhaps we could do some memes to share? Each one with the forum address.

alphaandre
26 Jul 2018, 20:06
NO !!!!! Please NOT....at the moment it´s the only AV Forum worldwide.. in Germany we had to close our forum because of the GDPR - General Data Protection Regulation which is truely bullshit but here in germany there are many lawyers agencys which only wait for reason to fuck you off...sorry for these hard words...but its true.... wii if you can still run this forum online.... PLEASE do it ......... Many Greetings from Germany ... André Urland - Alphaville Fanclub Golden Feeling e.V. www.alphaville.nu

Kaz
27 Jul 2018, 15:36
GDPR is Europe-wide. Wouldn't it affect here also?

AmberVonAvalon
27 Jul 2018, 17:03
I certainly hope it doesn't come to that.

MalilaM
27 Jul 2018, 22:32
I agree with Poul. If we're not uploading pictures and there are not as many members active at once, a cheaper host could be a good idea.

But this is an old website for the Internet and the oldest, I think, together with Moonbase for AV, so I'd keep it open anyway. There are so many friendships built in here... <3

jetset
28 Jul 2018, 15:00
Do you count visits as a guest (=not logged)? Because I frequently visit from the phone or tablet without logging in, and read the open sections. But I admit I rarely read the Members Corner and Other Artists sections.
Voted No because it's the only remaining source of up-to-date info, and prolly the only venue to chat live with the band.

shapeseven
30 Jul 2018, 15:24
The Alphavillian life would become somehow empty if the Dreamroom would disappear.

wii
31 Jul 2018, 07:34
I'm working on the GDPR issue, I know a very good laywer who helps me, shouldn't be a problem, and I'm also considering the hosting costs [wink]

alphamale
31 Jul 2018, 19:02
I suspect there's lots of folk like me who pop in here every now and then but rarely post.

I'd hate to see this resource disappear. Yes, Facebook may be taking some of your traffic but it's no replacement for a Forum with its searchable history and archive etc.

I'd be surprised, given the number of posts, if the site costs much to host - I could probably host you on one of my servers free of charge.

emilzone
01 Aug 2018, 21:58
the more frequent releases (albums/singles), the more traffic to the forum (i believe..)

Krapplund
02 Aug 2018, 21:35
I did vote NO!!!

hardin
06 Aug 2018, 00:46
I voted no.
For the Dreamroom future maybe add a donate-button and make it mobilefriendly with some CSS trick or
https://www.vietvbb.vn/up/showthread.php?t=35418

Krapplund
06 Aug 2018, 20:50
Great Hardin [love][love]

wii
03 Sep 2018, 11:33
Donation button is back, and The Dreamroom can be used using Tapatalk for mobile use.
I have paid hosting for the next 2 years, but donations are very welcome, thanks [smile]

Krapplund
03 Sep 2018, 11:36
Great Willy!!! *opens a beer*

wii
03 Sep 2018, 11:41
Cheers Peter [beer]

Great Willy!!! *opens a beer*