PDA

View Full Version : Would you support The Dreamroom?

wii
31 Mar 2008, 16:26
We are considering the future of our fanclub. We have decided that 2 Euro is the maximum fee we can take for membership of New Horizons. Membership of the fanclub could be free and we could take 2 Euro for access to the exclusive section to pay for hosting. We could also try to keep the forum running on donations only.

What do you think ?

Krapplund
01 Apr 2008, 17:00
I did vote "members fee (2 Euro)"

wii
01 Apr 2008, 18:32
I voted donations only - hope that could be enough [wink]

davidhorizon
01 Apr 2008, 20:06
I think that people would be more likely to donate if the amount was smaller. Like 2-5 euro.

poul e
01 Apr 2008, 20:49
I think this is very difficult. I voted members fee 2 Euro, but as our fanclub is running now it should be free to be a member. But as money is needed to run a website like this I think the best way to pay for it is to take a small membersfee for access to the downloadsection. I agree with David that more people would donate if it was possible to donate 1-5 Euro instead but then we are at the same amount as our current membersfee so people who pay might as well get something for the money they pay.

wii
01 Apr 2008, 21:49
I added 5 Euro in the payment page, and edited the poll [wink]

I think that people would be more likely to donate if the amount was smaller. Like 2-5 euro.

Krapplund
02 Apr 2008, 07:21
Like i think....

I voted members fee 2 Euro, but as our fanclub is running now it should be free to be a member. But as money is needed to run a website like this I think the best way to pay for it is to take a small membersfee for access to the downloadsection so people who pay might as well get something for the money they pay.

wii
03 Apr 2008, 08:14
Please keep voting, we need this information for our future plans.

Thanks

*ariAna*
03 Apr 2008, 11:10
I've voted donation and members fee.
It's a bit difficult for me to choose because I'm no member of the fan club, but I agree with poul regarding the downloadsection for paying mebers only and as an active user I would donate to keep the forum running.

Loralai
07 Apr 2008, 16:22
I also voted donations and members fee. Funding for the downloads and web maintenance is vital for the site to function.

Streetside Romeo
09 Apr 2008, 15:30
It really depends on how much money you need on a regular base. If it's a smaller sum, soliciting donations, particularly from the hard core, should suffice. It it's a bigger sum, donations plus member fee would be needed, but in order to collect enough money (enough members!) membership must come with REAL added value - people also post ideas and discuss matters on the mailing list and download goodies are also traded among members on the web and on free fan websites. To get enough people to become paying members there would have to be a unique selling proposition...I mean exciting exclusive stuff!
Btw. why not allowing ads on the sites - this would be the easiest (and, if you use targeted ads (80s music, AV and related bands merchandise, adequate fashion, mp3 players, music software,...), most lucrative) way. I don't think this would be a sellout - if the users don't want to pay for content themselves, they have to accept ads.

wii
09 Apr 2008, 15:41
Yeah, I understand that, even though we are the biggest Alphaville community, it´s still small in comparison with other forums I´m a member of, we do have unique content that is quite valuable for any Alphaville fan at our Exclusive section, we´ll see what we can do to make this more obvious.

I hate ads, so that will never be implemented as long as I´m involved with this forum, but some kind of collaboration with someone else, would be fine, I´m looking into that as well.

FallenAngel
09 Apr 2008, 20:31
Strange that so many refuse to pay. I find that every euro I have spend here was well spend!

Streetside Romeo
11 Apr 2008, 13:32
As a PR guy, I would recommend highlighting the benefits of a membership much more...really getting the people excited about the exclusive material they get (maybe by offering (more) previews) and by offering more cool stuff that bolsters the members' egos respectively reaffirms them that they made a good decision - and makes everyone else envious so they want to join. Cool stuff for the profile would be an idea (i.e. only members can have customized avatar pics and names), exclusive communities (i.e. only members can join the AV-chat), extra online stuff (like the virtual gift of the week Facebook members can buy for 1$), etc.

Streetside Romeo
11 Apr 2008, 13:37
Btw. kudos for your anti-ad-attitude, Willy. You are one of the remaining last information-wants-to-be-free noncommercial idealists of the Web...an endangered species, I am afraid. Ever bigger parts of the Web adopt the logic of the conventional media business...the anarchic Web-spirit of the older days is in retreat.

wii
11 Apr 2008, 13:55
We are adding many features very soon - more about that when we are ready, this will hopefully add to the value of becoming a member.

About ads, I just don´t like non-forum stuff around here, it´s more of a design issue than anything else, and it doesn´t pay well anyway.