PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite music source?

wii
05 Oct 2006, 20:24
I voted CD - sounds best, and I almost always listen to music at home.

2nd choice would be MP3 on my computer.

Clare
05 Oct 2006, 20:30
I voted mp3 as I use my mp3 player more than anything.

Lisa
05 Oct 2006, 20:41
CD for me. Even though I always rip the CDs i buy into mp3's.

Krapplund
06 Oct 2006, 05:29
I voted Mp3...my computer are always on and have winamp running when i´m home (and somethimes away for hures to)

But I love the vinyl-sound......

wii
06 Oct 2006, 09:28
I love the vinyl sound too, but I switched to CD already in 1987.

Streetside Romeo
06 Oct 2006, 11:44
Emotionally, I like vinyl the best, but CD is more practical. Even though I usually copy my CDs to my computer to have backups in case of damage, I don't like listening to music on a computer or to mp3-CDs at all - it just feels very impersonal, completely depriving music of its material correlate also results in making it a pure consumption good and losing some of the respect for it, in my view.

wii
06 Oct 2006, 12:09
I doubt anyone would vote Radio or Tape, so I changed that to Other, just in case...

Mags
06 Oct 2006, 21:21
I wasn't sure how to reply ..... I said vinyl because definitely vinyl is my favourite way to listen to music ..... whether it is nostalgic or what, I don't know. I just love listening to records! But since I haven't had a record player since moving to Germany three years ago, at the moment vinyl is impossible. I listen to MP3s more than anything, because the sound is better on my computer than through my cheap CD player :) .

JaJaJa
06 Oct 2006, 23:05
@ Mags: [beer]....

Stefan
09 Oct 2006, 06:58
wii, there is more than radio or tape...!
I voted for the MD, because tapes where my favourites in youth, and MD changed Tapes to more comfort. And MD is somehow related to AV for me, cause I firts saw that in a berlin hotel-room (Avil...?).
I love to have my own mix on one medium, without the possbility to change it too often.
But things start changing: In this summer I started with IPod and now I can connect it in nearly every room and car, so this is sometimes to much to deal with, sometimes itīs unbelievable whatīs all on this little thing.
Vinyl are in a box somewhere and CDs are thrown around by my daughter, she loves to play with them.
Btw: I always lost some music with all those changes....too bad.

FallenAngel
09 Oct 2006, 07:06
I am still doubting....

wii
09 Oct 2006, 08:04
Stefan, I agree, thatīs why itīs called Other - I have MD too, and I loved for a long time, but time is over for MD, MP3 players are so much better these days.

FallenAngel
09 Oct 2006, 08:42
damn... voted, vinyl...

Like MP3, but find it so impersonal.
CD's are great in quality but miss the magic of the LP's.

Every time I listen to my good old vinyls I have a good feeling that I miss with the cd's I play.

poul e
09 Oct 2006, 11:19
Fallen Angel....I know exactly what you mean. I was very much in doubt whether to vote for CD or vinyl because both have it's advantages/feeling.

I ended up voting CD because of the superior sound quality but I might as well have voted vinyl because of the "emotional response" you get when you take a big record out of a big cover....

But actually my preferred music source is DVD....when you listen to a perfect concertrecording in 5.1 sound you're in heaven!!! I have no doubt that the DVD source will beat CD within a few years....

wii
09 Oct 2006, 11:22
Poul e, right about the 5.1 sound - I heard it on several occasions on a very expensive stereosystem, and it sounds fantastic ! I just hope the labels will support these new formats, since there are few releases currently.

Tommie
09 Oct 2006, 14:23
1) MP3: I have at least 13000 reasons on my hard drive right now to vote for MP3. You can't have an easier access to your favourit music I think. I have all my music as mp3s and I can download almost any song that I don't have in about 10 seconds. I can play one song at any time without having to waste time finding the right CD and turn on the CD player. But the best thing with mp3 is that I can make a playlists, for a whole day if I want.

2) Vinyl: There is something special about the sound of an old vinyl record. And also I choose the songs in another way because there are only between 1 to about 5 songs on each side so I listen to the songs more carefully. And those big record covers were great.

3) Other (Tape): I had most music on tape in the 80's so there is something about those old mixed tapes that I love. I could copy from my friends, record from the radio and I spent hours making tapes for different occasions.

4) CD: The sound is the best but that is not the most important thing for me. I like CDs that I can play and enjoy from the beginning til the end but 99% of the CDs are not that good. There are almost always tracks that I don't like and then I don't listen to the CD. I rip those tracks I like to mp3 instead. If a CD album is great all through and has a meaning of playing it in the right order from the start til the end it's the best of all. But I have just a few albums like that, most of them are classical music. Also I have not the same special feeling holding a CD as a vinyl record.

wii
10 Oct 2006, 14:03
Excellent post Tommie, I agree most of the way.

I definately miss vinyl and the sound, also the fact that the covers were much bigger, got you a better sense of the art behind it.

TheMoonBoy
13 Oct 2006, 12:38
I voted vinyl because it's just so damn 'real' compared to CD.

I totally dig SACD (with multi-ch) as well but there's none of my favourite artists/albums available there...

wii
13 Oct 2006, 13:01
SACD (with multi-ch) sounds fantastic, but only about 4000 titles released.

http://www.sa-cd.net/

Adiville
19 Oct 2006, 17:45
I think that CD has the best quality so far [thumbup]

purrrplej
28 Oct 2006, 22:08
MP3s are my favorite because you can download just the songs you want. On CDs, there are always a number of songs I don't like, so I feel like I've wasted some of my money.

sweet_mj
15 Nov 2006, 15:31
ı vote mp3 or sımılar