Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom
Chat with other fans  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville News

Old 21 May 2017, 11:12   #1381
tarirodecai
Exclusive Fanclub Member

Funny reading all the opininons. We're all so different... For example, I LOVE Prostitute, i think it's a very very very good album, and most of you don't like it very much...
tarirodecai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 18:55   #1382
humanracer
Dreamer

Bands like Alphaville who vary their sound from album to album are always going to cause disagreements amongst their fans. The only two albums that all fans agree are good are FY and Salvation but even the latter has some detractors who accuse it of being too techno. One of the reasons bands like ABBA were so successful is that they never deviated from their core sound. If you bought an ABBA album, you knew exactly what to expect. For artistic reasons, Alphaville wants to try different things. You will get people who love CROG but hate SA and vice versa. Personally I love all the albums. I don't mind falsetto either as I like disco and I am even partial to a bit of the Bee Gees or Earth Wind & Fire on occasion. I know what you mean about the "sadness" aspect but I find SA quite upbeat. I probably feel more "sadness" on the new Depeche Mode record. Songs like Heartbreak City and Sexyland make want to dance.

I like TBB but again I am a fan of jazzy music too. Also I like Prostitute but felt that it's a bit too long.
humanracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 19:07   #1383
humanracer
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajak View Post
Of course its OK to be critical.
Concerts doesnt interest me at all anymore because its the same setlist as Always.
Why cant AV do like other bands release an album and then go on tour.
I would love to see a Concert with the new songs
Money. Tours cost money. Alphaville does not have enough fans to do a major tour. This is the reality. Many other smaller bands are in the same boat. They are not Depeche Mode.

It's been the same CROG setlist for a little while now but this will change with the release of SA.
Old 21 May 2017, 19:09   #1384
humanracer
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poul e View Post
Of course it's out of our control. But I still think it's ok for fans to be critical....

For me....Alphaville have turned into a live band....in my opinion it's a dangerous way to go....they risk ending up being "that 80s band who had hits with BIJ and FY" and losing most of their hardcorefans...

"Just give us some news that hasn't got anything to do with concerts....that's the least you can do!!!"
Most bands today make their money through touring due to the high level of music piracy. This is the harsh reality. Besides if Alphaville had not become a live band, people would have forgotten about them totally. Performing live is one way of keeping themselves in the public eye.

At their concerts Alphaville only actually play 7-8 songs from the 80s. The rest is from the 90s and beyond.
Old 21 May 2017, 19:10   #1385
humanracer
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajak View Post
[I just think it should be possible both to do concerts and release new songs regularly....
That should definately be possible for any band...

After Strange attractor is released,I Think AV should consider release EP:s
instead of album if its so hard to set 10-14 songs together.
In that case we should have something to look forward to instead of nothing[/QUOTE]
They are going back into the studio early next year so there might be another album sooner than you think.
Old 21 May 2017, 20:02   #1386
Clare
Alphanut

My least favourites are Afternoons in Utopia and Salvation. I love Breathtaking Blue and Prostitute.

"I've had many sobering thoughts in my life....
....it was them what drove me to drink!" [drunk]

Grandad, Only Fools and Horses (UK sitcom)
Clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 07:48   #1387
wii
Dream Master

Ohhh, I love Prostitute, definately on the best albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarirodecai View Post
Funny reading all the opininons. We're all so different... For example, I LOVE Prostitute, i think it's a very very very good album, and most of you don't like it very much...

wii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 16:26   #1388
andrewbw
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanracer View Post
At their concerts Alphaville only actually play 7-8 songs from the 80s. The rest is from the 90s and beyond.
Then there's the funny "problem" with Alphaville that SA took so long to put together, there are songs on it that have existed and been performed live for years, bridging major changes in the band's lineup. This makes it hard to say that SA is somehow an unexpected change in direction, when really it's been simmering for quite some time.
andrewbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 01:20   #1389
Foolship1077
Travelling Companion

Andrew brings up some very good points considering the time it took to release this album and all the obstacles faced along the way. That said, time for my take on the album at last:

If we could call any of their music "art," consider SA a Masterpiece! The fact that they still mix up the sound here and there keeps things fresh, and there are a lot of great tunes on here.

Personal favorite: Around the Universe
The one that took time to grow on me: Beyond the Laughing Sky

Mind you, I tend to look at their selections as finding the "like it" among the "love it's." Despite the delays and changes that had to be made, they turned out a fantastic compilation!

Hello, my friend...
Foolship1077 is offline   Reply With Quote