Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville News

Old 21 Mar 2017, 23:16   #1121
hajak
Exclusive Fanclub Member

I dont know since I ordered a CD myself but try here maybe:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/det...r/hnum/6436220
or here:
http://www.poponaut.de/alphaville-st...ml?language=en
but on poponaut there seems to be no bonustracks(Is there 2 different Vinyls?)
hajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2017, 08:57   #1122
Arjan
Dreamer

Indeed strange that the bonus tracks are Only on LP and there is no limited edition CD. Are we sure? Cant something be done about this?
Arjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2017, 09:41   #1123
shapeseven
Astral Buddy

Strange Attractor - New Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjan View Post
Indeed strange that the bonus tracks are Only on LP and there is no limited edition CD. Are we sure? Cant something be done about this?

We are sure.
Can anything be done? Re: is that really necessary? I may be alone with my perception, but I love the challenge of hunting rarities. Nevertheless the web will bring these songs sooner or later to anybody who wants to listen to them.
And CDs - I don't buy them anymore as many of my old originals aren't playable anymore: the data layer corroded and shows holes (underworld, dubnobasswithmyheadman, 1st UK edition, very rare) or the plastic surface gets blind like if the glue from the gatefold cover etched it blind (Depeche mode, in your room 2 CDUcollectors edition). Just to name two out of many which are lost.
All my vinyls are still playable and fine.
shapeseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2017, 09:55   #1124
hajak
Exclusive Fanclub Member

My opinion is that songs or records should be able to buy for everyone.
You shouldnt need to buy a Vinylplayer for a lot of Money to get 4 songs.
And if AV dont wanna release a limited edition CD fine,if so they can atleast release them digitally.
hajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2017, 10:10   #1125
Arjan
Dreamer

I dont have a vinyl player anymore. Furthermore I am not very convinced that the new versions of Around and Handful will capture the spirit and depth of the well known versions on the internet. Therefore I was hoping that the bonustracks would capture that same spirit. In the end I am a bit disappointed with the 30 sec audio snippets and was hoping the original songs will be released in all their beauty...
Last edited by Arjan; 22 Mar 2017 at 10:13.
Arjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2017, 15:21   #1126
alphaandre
Dreamer

a first CD-Review was released in the german Magazin "Sonic Seducer 04/2017"
http://www.sonic-seducer.de/

Here the text (german only)

Alphaville "Strange Attractor"
(Poloydor/Universal)

Ganz einfach haben es sich Alphaville nie gemacht. Nach dem gigantischen Erfolg ihres Debutalbums bemühte sich Marian Gold stetig, den Soundkosmos der Band in Richtungen jenseits des Synthpops zu erweitern. Doch ihre Hits wie "Forever Young" oder "Big in Japan" waren Fluch und Segen zugleich. Sie öffneten Tür und Tor, aber die Soundexperimente stießen nicht immer auf Gegenliebe. Die Leute wollte einfach weiter geile Songs im Stil der Hits. Das letzte Comeback Album "Catching Rays on Giant" hatte einige davon im Gepäck, darunter "Die Another Day". Guten Pop gibt es auch auf "Strange Attractor", nach einem ungewöhnlich ruhigen, aber stimmungsvollen Einstieg mit "Giants". "House of Ghosts" ist zum Beispiel ein hervorragender De/Vision Song, "Around the Universe" stünde a-ha sehr gut zu Gesicht. Mit "Enigma" kommt alter Balladen Glanz auf: elegische Melodie, schöne Poparrangements, sanfte Elektronik und Golds charismatische Stimme. Auch "A handful of Darkness" ist ein toller Alphaville Moment - bis ein Chor Pathos eimerweise über Refrain kübelt. Und immer wieder toben sich Alphaville mit Soundexperimenten jenseits des Elektropop aus. Zupfen funkige Gitarren in "Marionettes with Halos", versuchen sie sich als frühe The Killers in "Sexyland", fühlen den Blues und Rock`n Roll in "Rendevouyeur" und erliegen in "Heartbreakcity" dem Discofieber der BeeGees.
"Strange Attractor" ist viel, aber vor allem zu viel auf einmal. Schlecht ist das Album nicht. Aber es beschleicht einen das Gefühl, dass Alphaville versuchen, sich mit aller Macht neu zu erfinden. Nur verrennen sie sich in sehr unterschiedlichen Ideen. Wären sie eine junge Band, gäbe es gegen das Ausprobieren und Herumtasten nichts einzuwenden. Aber die Truppe um Marian Gold hat über 30 Jahre auf dem Buckel und macht sicherlich keine Musik für die postdigitale Generation. Let´s face it: Ein großer Teil des Stammpublikums hat genug gravierende Veränderungen in seinem Leben durchgemacht, als Raider in Twix umbenannt worden. Und erwartet von Alphaville, einfach gute Alphaville Songs abzuliefern. So einfach ist das. (Torsten Schäfer)
Sonic Seducer 04/2017
alphaandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2017, 00:11   #1127
Foolship1077
Travelling Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapeseven View Post
And CDs - I don't buy them anymore as many of my old originals aren't playable anymore: the data layer corroded and shows holes (underworld, dubnobasswithmyheadman, 1st UK edition, very rare) or the plastic surface gets blind like if the glue from the gatefold cover etched it blind (Depeche mode, in your room 2 CDUcollectors edition). Just to name two out of many which are lost.
Wow! I didn't know CDs can do that. All the ones I've had over the years still play well, right down to the first one I got as a birthday gift (Breathtaking Blue).

Of course, there is the deal about how a couple can't be read when trying to store files in iTunes. FPop was a bit of a problem in that category, but hoping that won't be an issue with the new album.

Hello, my friend...
Foolship1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2017, 15:15   #1128
mdeconno
Dreamer

On the flipside, my house got hit by Hurricane Sandy. All of my CDs and DVDs were stored in the lower level of the house (cool and dry). All of the jewel cases got knocked open and destroyed. We were given two days to fish through a foot of mud to safely pull the CD/DVDs out and carefully rise them off with water. After rinsing them off carefully and letting them dry, we did it again a few weeks later, followed by glass cleaner and a soft cloth. Out of 4,000 CDs (including my entire AV collection) and 2,000 DVDs; there were only 4 casualties in music and 6 casualties in movies. The packaging for most were destroyed (Dreamscapes, CrazyShow, etc.)

My LP Collection, including my AV rarieties, were destroyed (but Blank and Jones' AV collection resurrected a good portion).

My CD collection dates back to 1983/84; I'm unsure how you stored your CDs, or what machines you listened to them with, to cause your issues.

Regardless, I have moved all my CD music to my cloud server and migrated most of my movies to a service we have here in America "Vudu" for an extra $2.00 each - Just in case I'm not so lucky if there is a next time.

Quote:

mdeconno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2017, 16:19   #1129
shapeseven
Astral Buddy

My CDs were stored in their cases, all in the living room - no harmfull circumstances. of course not all old cds are affected. but some are, and, as it always is, special ones. might be that they have ben produced improperly, i don't have a clue. but i always hated cds, the only good thing was the ease of use and that you could use them mobile in discmen or in cars. but after all, as the record stores swapped their boxes full of vinyls for boxes full of cds, searching for music was no fun anymore (for me).
having a proper vinyl player back in place is like someone gave me part of my youth back: i go on fleemarkets and check out record stores wherever i am and disover awesome vinyl treasures. luv it.
shapeseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2017, 16:43   #1130
mdeconno
Dreamer

Ah, Living Room --- there you go. The worst place to store CDs but the best place to retrieve them quickly. You need an unflattering cool, dry (and dark, if possible) place to store them . If you're displaying them on a shelf in a living room with fluctuating temps/humidity, the oxygen will get to and cause the separation from the plastic layer and ruin them in time. You need to treat CDs/LPs as if they were fine wine for the best longevity.

The best, but most depressing way, is to put them packed tightly and vertically (so they don't sag and bend over time) in a sealed box (to keep out as much oxygen as possible), with a few of those silica packs (to absorb humidity) in a cool dark dry basement/cellar.

Truth be told, it's the same way I stored LPs when they were big in my life.

I also purchased duplicates, when they were on sale, and left them in their shrink wrap to keep oxygen out. If you can get 30+ years out of them, they served their purpose as the next technology will superseded (cloud servers in this case).

Almost forgot, if you have more than 100 CDs/LPs, it's best to create a database so you know which box you stored what CD - and remember to put it back in the correct box afterwards.

Quote:
My CDs were stored in their cases, all in the living room - no harmfull circumstances. of course not all old cds are affected. but some are, and, as it always is, special ones. might be that they have ben produced improperly, i don't have a clue. but i always hated cds, the only good thing was the ease of use and that you could use them mobile in discmen or in cars. but after all, as the record stores swapped their boxes full of vinyls for boxes full of cds, searching for music was no fun anymore (for me).
having a proper vinyl player back in place is like someone gave me part of my youth back: i go on fleemarkets and check out record stores wherever i am and disover awesome vinyl treasures. luv it.
Last edited by mdeconno; 29 Mar 2017 at 16:45.
mdeconno is offline   Reply With Quote