Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom
Chat with other fans  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville News

Old 25 Apr 2017, 17:28   #1341
nicole
Dreamer

Personally, I feel Strange Attractor is one of Alphaville's best albums yet. I think this album has a different style that a lot of AV fans are not used to. I like this album a lot and even though there are a few songs I don't care for much on this album, I still think it's great and worth the wait. I'm hoping as time goes on maybe the album will do better in the charts. I'm just so excited AV is finally touring in the US.

nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2017, 17:42   #1342
andrewbw
Dreamer

I think it's definitely a "different" album, but only in so much that it's a significant departure from CROG. The loss of Martin Lister is self-evident, but I don't mean that as a criticism—I think it's the reality of a band reorganizing itself after the loss of a tremendous creative force who clearly represented a very specific sound.

The first few times I listened to SA, I thought, "boy, this is really slow and a little dark..." but then I went back and listened to Afternoons In Utopia after not doing so for a while. Set aside the poppy, bouncy tracks (Dance With Me, Universal Daddy, Jet Set, etc.) and listen to the title track, Carol Masters, 20th Century, etc. There's already hints of what would come 30 years later.

So really, I think the major difference with SA is instead of getting a handful of synth-pop tracks scattered around ones that are more melancholic or slow, the uptempo tracks borrow more from rock and even elements of disco. I think this contributes to the album feeling overall more like a group effort, even though I obviously don't know the band as well as some of you and don't know how collaborative Marian is in writing music.

It makes me interested to hear some of the tracks live, and how the full band will interpret production-heavy numbers like Mafia Island for performance.
andrewbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2017, 23:44   #1343
humanracer
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbw View Post
I think it's definitely a "different" album, but only in so much that it's a significant departure from CROG. The loss of Martin Lister is self-evident, but I don't mean that as a criticism—I think it's the reality of a band reorganizing itself after the loss of a tremendous creative force who clearly represented a very specific sound.

The first few times I listened to SA, I thought, "boy, this is really slow and a little dark..." but then I went back and listened to Afternoons In Utopia after not doing so for a while. Set aside the poppy, bouncy tracks (Dance With Me, Universal Daddy, Jet Set, etc.) and listen to the title track, Carol Masters, 20th Century, etc. There's already hints of what would come 30 years later.

So really, I think the major difference with SA is instead of getting a handful of synth-pop tracks scattered around ones that are more melancholic or slow, the uptempo tracks borrow more from rock and even elements of disco. I think this contributes to the album feeling overall more like a group effort, even though I obviously don't know the band as well as some of you and don't know how collaborative Marian is in writing music.

It makes me interested to hear some of the tracks live, and how the full band will interpret production-heavy numbers like Mafia Island for performance.
Mafia Island has already been performed live a few times. I have an excellent recording of it. It works really well.
humanracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:53   #1344
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

SA is like CROG... They experimented and I can say with 100% honesty that they did a great job with it. You know what would be absolutely awesome? If they could re-record Into The Dark and put it on the next album. no joke. I'm sure if they went back and modernized it with the synths they used in this album and used the same "phaser" effects that were used on his voice in the original demo? It'd be brilliant.
MarianGoldfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:01   #1345
jetset
Dreamer

A nice interview of Marian about SA and more :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBX4eU8LQss

Last edited by jetset; Yesterday at 19:07.
jetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:02   #1346
Patryn.ru
Dreamer

If somebody has not seen/heard yet

https://youtu.be/6OQaAVYfp6o

https://youtu.be/EFivcsAJSHo
LP

Patryn - "Those Who Return to Darkness" M.Weis&T. Hickman - "The Death Gate Cycle"
Last edited by Patryn.ru; Today at 11:30.
Patryn.ru is online now   Reply With Quote