Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville News

Old 11 Aug 2017, 02:17   #61
Phantoms
Dreamer

Thank you so much for sharing you fantastic pictures, hope see you next time NYC
Phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2017, 07:17   #62
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

I bet it was nice to have had the opportunity to meet him... I'm so jealous. Not to mention my seats were horrible. I was probably 9 or 12 rows back. My vision isn't good and I couldn't see him worth a crap. It's like I finally get to see them live, but under these circumstances... I might as well should have just stayed home.
MarianGoldfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2017, 15:46   #63
nicole
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianGoldfan123 View Post
I bet it was nice to have had the opportunity to meet him... I'm so jealous. Not to mention my seats were horrible. I was probably 9 or 12 rows back. My vision isn't good and I couldn't see him worth a crap. It's like I finally get to see them live, but under these circumstances... I might as well should have just stayed home.
What seats were you in? We were on the main floor but towards the back. Right when you walk in, our seats were in the end of the aisle. I though our seats were going to be better than what they were. I'm sorry you didn't have theat great of time. Meeting Marian was definitely the best part of the night. Hes a very nice guy. The meet and greet was rushed though. You really couldn't talk long. He started conversation with me because I was so nervous! I remember telling him how he's great and how it was an honor to meet him. There was so much more I wanted to say to him but they keep on pushing the next person in line to go see him. Anyways, at least you can say you went to Alphaville concert, first time show in Chicago! I'm hoping they will make it back to Chicago in the future. I think depending on how successful the US tour is, they will come back. I feel the Chicago show was definitely a success, despite of our seats!

nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2017, 18:31   #64
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

I was on the main floor as well, and also near the back I'd say! The music was very nice and punchy (especially when Jakob started to play Romeos! holy cow). Ah. It was a quick one, huh? Haha knowing me, I'd go on and on about random stuff with him... I was primarily wanting to ask about some of his songs and the history of them. I was wearing an Alphaville shirt (it was a black one with the old "red" band name logo found on the Forever Young album art) and I stood up whenever the other attendees were (though I actually did sit down for a while since my feet were absolutely KILLING me since, mind you, we parked in a parking garage and walked from there to the theater! haha). We went in and watched the opening band, which wasn't too bad tbh, though they took a while. Just as I thought they were gonna wrap up, they started another song. lol.

Yeah, I was kinda angry when I had written that post... I gotta consider the fact that there are probably a lot of fans out there (some in Chicago even) who wanted to see them, but couldn't afford the tickets or some other factor came into play.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 21:13   #65
nicole
Dreamer

We were probably very close to each other then! I did have quite a few people around me stand for some songs, then sit. The concert was great! I really enjoyed "Around the Universe" along with "Forever Young." I thought they were done with the concert but when they came back out, it was a great surprise! I also loved how they ended the concert with "Beyond the Laughing Sky!" Amazing performance! It all was great! And yeah the concert was only about an hour and a half long. What did you think of the opening performer?
Anyways, I took the train to Chicago and the theater to the train station is a ways to walk so I totally understand the long walking!

Old 11 Aug 2017, 22:43   #66
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

Probably! I enjoyed it so much when they transitioned from House of Ghosts to Around the Universe... It was brilliant. I was also pleasantly surprised when they played Heartbreak City. I'm not a big fan of Laughing Sky so it took a little while for me to recognize it. The opening band wasn't too bad: The vocalist had an incredible voice. Very talented.

I live in Northern Michigan so we drove up to Chicago, and my gosh it took forever. I made the mistake of waking up at 5 AM that day and we got home at... 5 AM the next day. It was so refreshing to see what a giant city is like since I'm so used to Cadillac (Cadillac isn't exciting at all. haha). We had a fun time trying to find our car in the parking garage... Didn't take way too long, but it took a little while to find it (we knew where we parked at, in 3E, but it took a bit to find it).

One thing that really struck me as odd is Marian's voice sounds so different in person than he does on YouTube! Holy cow. It's a night and day difference. Pretty weird. I was scanning the audience to see people's reactions and they seemed to dig it quite a bit! :)

I had a lady walk up to me when I was listening to them play and she was trying to say something to me. I couldn't understand her, so I had to lean back and my mom listened to her: She was saying something about losing a shirt. My guess is she bought one of those $40 tour shirts which were being sold in the lobby and she lost it somehow since she had gotten on the floor and was looking under the seats and such.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 23:29   #67
nicole
Dreamer

The transition between House of Ghost and Around the Universe was great! Marians voice is amazing and the fact that he can sing the high pitched notes so well just amazes me! I also thought that they were going to play Forever Young at the end of the concert but instead they played it in the middle of the concert which I was surprised about! Beyond the Laughing Sky is one of my favorites so ending the show with that song was great for me! I wish he played A Handful of Darkness though! That's another great song! Have you noticed that for the older songs everyone stood up for those but for some of the newer ones a lot sat down! That was so funny!
Anyways, Chicago is definitely a crazy city! Were you able to do any sightseeing? And wow! I would be exhausted! How long of a drive is that?!
And I didn't have anyone ask us about a missing shirt! I'd be so upset! I hope she happened to have found it! We did, however, have a man come up to us, asking if we wanted a front seat, right in front of the stage. He said it was hard hearing Marian. I would have loved to take that opportunity but I didn't want to leave my friend alone and even though we didn't have the best seats, we still didn't want to loose our seats and risk having to move to an even worse seat, so I declined but thanked him. He ended up staying by us watching the show.
I really hope they come back to the US again! I want you to have the opportunity to meet him! It was such a blur to me because I couldn't believe I was going to meet him! I remember being so nervous! He is so nice and quite funny as well! It's awesome that we had the opportunity to go see them live for the first time and for the first time in Chicago!

Old 12 Aug 2017, 01:09   #68
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

Exactly! It blows me away that his voice is virtually unchanged and that he sounds so great, even at 63... I've seen so many AV concerts on YouTube I almost knew what their setlist was going to be. lol. I knew offhand that usually they always play Forever Young right after Sounds Like a Melody, and Big in Japan after Gravitation Breakdown, and I was right. The drive was, oh, maybe 5 hours. Gosh it took so long...

It kinda did bum me out that they didn't put any special "unplayed" songs on the setlist for this tour... They actually did play A Handful of Darkness at their 2009 party in Prague (their 25th anniversary) and what's interesting is the music is nearly identical to the version we can hear on Strange Attractor. The synths and everything are a near 1:1 match!

We saw a few iconic buildings, for sure, though off-hand I don't remember which ones exactly.

I hope she found it, too... I can imagine how angry she was when she lost it, since $40 is obviously a lot of money for a shirt (My mom had bought me one as well).

Oh, nice! Well, good on you for not ditching your friend. I can imagine it'd be incredibly loud up-front... Gosh, my ears were hurting a bit during the intro to Nevermore.

I definitely want to meet him some day, as his music is so fascinating to me. He's consistently put out great stuff for so many years, and, to be honest, it's so much fun to study the lyrics to his songs. Some of them are so "out there" that it'd be impossible to pinpoint the meaning of it / what he had on his mind when he was making it.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 03:18   #69
nicole
Dreamer

The whole experience was just amazing. Everyday, I just keep thinking of what a great night that was! If I were rich, I would go to the California shows as well just to relive that experience along with meeting him again! But yes, I can't get over how awesome his voice is! I can't imagine being in the first row when Nevermore played! My ears were ringing being way in the back!
And wow! 5 hours! Gosh, that is a long way! I'm sure though it was worth it! And Chicago is very nice when you have time to sightsee. It is a typical city..especially where the theater is located! But just like all cities, you have the good parts and the not so good parts! Anyways, that was my first time in that theater and it was beautiful!
Anyways, I definitely agree with you! There's a lot of songs I understand the meaning to, but there are also others that are quite confusing. I wonder to myself what exactly was he thinking when creating the song! I read an interview several years ago and he was asked how he comes up with some of the songs he creates and he has mentioned that he creates songs that make the listener really think about the song and the lyrics. He also had said that it fascinates him all the different interpretations people come up with. His songs really do make you think!! So I wonder if the songs have no meaning at all and we have to decide what the meaning is? Or they all have a deep meaning we may or may not ever know.

Old 12 Aug 2017, 08:02   #70
andrewbw
Dreamer

Got back to our hotel from the San Jose show a little while ago. Unbelievable. What a performance. I've been to hundreds of concerts in my lifetime and that was among the best. Marian sounded amazing, the band was clearly having fun, and the crowd was really into it and appreciative of old and new material alike. Danced my butt off, and at age 46, I am SO NOT into dancing.

I really hope they come back to the US again sometime.
andrewbw is offline   Reply With Quote