Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom  

Go Back   Alphaville Forum - The Dreamroom > Alphaville > Alphaville Discussion

Old 20 Apr 2017, 00:31   #1
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

A question

I have a question: How does Marian feel about remixes / people remixing his work? I've always wondered why virtually no acapella (vocals only) tracks have been released (aside from the IDFYT remix contest).
MarianGoldfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2017, 09:20   #2
Kaz
Her...

Why don't you ask him via the mailing list, where he will see your question ? You might get an answer from him.

Before you judge me, make sure you're perfect.
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2017, 16:08   #3
shapeseven
Astral Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianGoldfan123 View Post
I have a question: How does Marian feel about remixes / people remixing his work? I've always wondered why virtually no acapella (vocals only) tracks have been released (aside from the IDFYT remix contest).
Marian absolutely hates remixes, unfortunately.
I was buying some old Alphaville vinyls for him recently as he didn't has any of his own vinyl records, and first he didn't want to have the 12"es I was able to get my hands on. As I told him that those also contain some awesome flip side tracks he was convinced that they are a must-have.
Best, Tobi
shapeseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2017, 16:17   #4
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

Oh, really? I do know Marian hates CD's (I'm going by one of your blog posts). I can respect that he doesn't like remixes, though. That bears the question: Does he listen to his stuff? I'm sure he's tired of hearing his own songs so many times since he likes to re-iterate his songs a ton during their creation, so he probably has them stuck on his mind. haha.
Old 20 Apr 2017, 19:01   #5
humanracer
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapeseven View Post
Marian absolutely hates remixes, unfortunately.
I was buying some old Alphaville vinyls for him recently as he didn't has any of his own vinyl records, and first he didn't want to have the 12"es I was able to get my hands on. As I told him that those also contain some awesome flip side tracks he was convinced that they are a must-have.
Best, Tobi
That's very surprising. I don't like modern remixes as they are all too often destroy the original melody and make the song unrecognisable. I do love the 80s 12" though.

Also if he hates remixes so much then why did he authorise Forever Pop?

Marian does listen to his music. On the mailing list recently he was listening to youtube clips of unreleased songs and also some backing tapes from the very first gigs.

I can understand why he likes vinyl. It's a far warmer sound. I know he has an ambition of releasing all the other albums on this format at some point.
humanracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2017, 21:20   #6
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

That's an interesting question about Forever Pop. I'm guessing it took a lot of convincing. Does he have his own personal archive or something? I can't even imagine how many songs he has on file... Also, who's dog is in the Salvation cover?
Last edited by MarianGoldfan123; 20 Apr 2017 at 21:42.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 16:43   #7
mdeconno
Dreamer

It's lost wages. All musicians hate CDs, the entire Music Industry hates CDs even though it was the crown jewel of the 80s (no way to copy). They fought against it the moment Napster and other music-sharing sites made it easy to rip your CDs electronically.

Originally the music industry hated small cassettes, which replaced 8-Tracks, when it was easy to records your own mixes, again lost wages.

Then the CD came out and all was well for the first decade until CD Burners became standard on PCs.

Then CDs returned/became the greatest thing and was promoted that they had better sound than the MP3s that were becoming the norm.

It's becoming more common to share your Apple Music, Google Music and saved MP3s. Again, lost wages.

This is one of the reasons that Europe is heavily promoting Albums once again, too many steps to get the final MP3s.

Personally, I loved Albums for the first 30 years of my life - not for the quality of music (as mine got scratched fairly quickly and incorporated hisses/pops to the songs) but for the quality of the artwork (we used to hang the albums on the walls because they were gorgeous). Once it was reduced down the size of a CD, most of it was lost.

America tried to promote Albums once again about 3 or so years ago by offering classic rock on Albums but, except for DJs at clubs, it hasn't taken off.

Unfortunately, it's doubtful that Albums will ever take hold in America anymore. If we can't fit it into our phones, it's not worth it.

Packaging a few extra songs at the end of Strange Attractor, in album form, is a nice gimmick to boost sales, but it's a short amount of time before you can get it off the Internet.

American musicians (including the horrendous hip hop acts) have no choice but to constantly tour to feed their families as even CD sales have faltered due to Pandora and other similar streaming services killing even sales for that. Not even to mention the loss if people purchase only their favorite song off the musicians' offerings instead of the entire composition ($.50-$1.00 per song as opposed to $8.00-$20 for the entire composition).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianGoldfan123 View Post
Oh, really? I do know Marian hates CD's (I'm going by one of your blog posts). I can respect that he doesn't like remixes, though. That bears the question: Does he listen to his stuff? I'm sure he's tired of hearing his own songs so many times since he likes to re-iterate his songs a ton during their creation, so he probably has them stuck on his mind. haha.
mdeconno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2017, 17:01   #8
andrewbw
Dreamer

Quote:
Personally, I loved Albums for the first 30 years of my life - not for the quality of music (as mine got scratched fairly quickly and incorporated hisses/pops to the songs) but for the quality of the artwork (we used to hang the albums on the walls because they were gorgeous). Once it was reduced down the size of a CD, most of it was lost.
I don't really feel any romanticism for albums as a sound format, although I will entirely agree with you that the loss of that giant canvas for artwork and information is tragic. I remember when CDs first emerged, artists and record companies I think tried to duplicate the experience with multi-page booklets, but the complexity and expense of including those made them few and far between, I think.

I will fully admit that I went all-in with streaming as a Spotify subscriber years ago, and love how it gives me access to all the music I can imagine at the tips of my fingers—this is despite me spending years collecting all manner of rare and "essential" CDs to match my eclectic music tastes. I know that streaming doesn't afford artists much opportunity to make a living off their recordings, so as fans I think there's a certain responsibility for us to go see concerts, buy merchandise, and to find ways to engage with artists financially so they're rewarded for what they do.

The tickets for Alphaville's shows in the US are pretty expensive, on first glance. I paid almost as much for my Alphaville tickets as I did for tickets to see Roger Waters' massive "Us + Them" arena tour this summer, and Waters travels with a much bigger band and production. But then I start to think about what it must cost to bring a band like Alphaville, plus its support staff, plus gear, plus families, etc. all the way from Europe to the US, and the fact that due to limited recognition, radio support, etc. they're not going to be able to play giant arenas, but have to rely on trying to fill mid-sized theaters and the like, and suddenly it seems like I'm getting a real bargain. I hope their US dates are successful and show them how much their music is appreciated by fans here in the States.
Last edited by andrewbw; 21 Apr 2017 at 17:03.
andrewbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2017, 18:50   #9
MarianGoldfan123
Dreamer

I only like physical CD albums since I tend to do lots of audio source separation experiments, and I need the best quality available.