View Single Post
Old 29 Mar 2017, 16:43   #1130
mdeconno
Dreamer

Ah, Living Room --- there you go. The worst place to store CDs but the best place to retrieve them quickly. You need an unflattering cool, dry (and dark, if possible) place to store them . If you're displaying them on a shelf in a living room with fluctuating temps/humidity, the oxygen will get to and cause the separation from the plastic layer and ruin them in time. You need to treat CDs/LPs as if they were fine wine for the best longevity.

The best, but most depressing way, is to put them packed tightly and vertically (so they don't sag and bend over time) in a sealed box (to keep out as much oxygen as possible), with a few of those silica packs (to absorb humidity) in a cool dark dry basement/cellar.

Truth be told, it's the same way I stored LPs when they were big in my life.

I also purchased duplicates, when they were on sale, and left them in their shrink wrap to keep oxygen out. If you can get 30+ years out of them, they served their purpose as the next technology will superseded (cloud servers in this case).

Almost forgot, if you have more than 100 CDs/LPs, it's best to create a database so you know which box you stored what CD - and remember to put it back in the correct box afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapeseven View Post
My CDs were stored in their cases, all in the living room - no harmfull circumstances. of course not all old cds are affected. but some are, and, as it always is, special ones. might be that they have ben produced improperly, i don't have a clue. but i always hated cds, the only good thing was the ease of use and that you could use them mobile in discmen or in cars. but after all, as the record stores swapped their boxes full of vinyls for boxes full of cds, searching for music was no fun anymore (for me).
having a proper vinyl player back in place is like someone gave me part of my youth back: i go on fleemarkets and check out record stores wherever i am and disover awesome vinyl treasures. luv it.
Last edited by mdeconno; 29 Mar 2017 at 16:45.
mdeconno is offline   Reply With Quote